Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: GasCan Let's see what you guys think of this Globe Lens? - Thu Nov 08 2012 02:19 AM
As many know, I completed my first pump restoration last month with a Black & Silver 1955 Gilbarco 904 painted to match my 55 Chevy. I've been waiting to get some custom lenses made to top the pump off and just got another piece of the puzzle to complete the pump. Lance at PogoGas made some custom lenses for me and in the coming days I'll get a set of these lenses mounted into my globe ring and will then put the custom ad glass in as well. Still need to design a pump plate for it but gotta find the time as work has been far to busy.

Let me know what you think of these lenses. I think they turned out great. I'll post another picture when it's all together next week. Thanks a ton Lance!

Graeme those look great. Those colors will compliment your Red Indian collection perfectly.

If you are open to suggestions for the pump decals/plates. How about same graphics in a 12x18" format (same size as Texaco pump plates).
awesome, both look great.. cool
Posted By: GasCan Re: Let's see what you guys think of this Globe Lens? - Thu Nov 08 2012 03:43 AM
We think alike Dave. Been toying with a couple versions over the past couple weeks but need to refine it a bit when I get some time at work. Going to put them on a set 12 x 18 powder coated plates and clear them afterwards.

I had 24 sets of these lenses made between the 2 colors, and have sold all but 4 pairs today. They sold real fast and will likely be gone by tomorrow. Wow!
Posted By: LC 336 Re: Let's see what you guys think of this Globe Lens? - Thu Nov 08 2012 03:44 PM
Those are both over the top, they look great!!!!
I agree on the pump plate size for sure.
But what about shaking up the text a little bit, I love that red ring color on the one to the left.
I wonder how that red color would look for the text combined with lens design on the right?
Combine the two lenses for the pump plate design in efforts not to mirror the image that's on the globe.
I wonder if Lance could come up with a couple proofs for you to choose from, or if you had the ability to do it on the computer.
Any thing you do with that design is going to look good.
Just a thought.... I'm looking forward to seeing it complete.
Posted By: GasCan Re: Let's see what you guys think of this Globe Lens? - Thu Nov 08 2012 08:24 PM
Thanks for the input Lee. Lance and I have had some discussions on the pump plates and will get something put together soon. Globe were the first step and the rest will follow soon. smile
Posted By: Jarvis Re: Let's see what you guys think of this Globe Lens? - Fri Nov 09 2012 02:56 PM
Lance, Are they marked with your name or fantasy or dated?
I know you mark gas lenses but what about something like these.

I don't want to hear the "why mark fantasy pieces" as many people that are not collectors do not know if they are fantasy or actual lenses.
Posted By: strnge Re: Let's see what you guys think of this Globe Lens? - Fri Nov 09 2012 03:08 PM
I love them!
Posted By: GasCan Re: Let's see what you guys think of this Globe Lens? - Fri Nov 09 2012 08:52 PM
Jarvis,

It's a mute point really. This isn't an oil and gas piece, it's a one of custom car globe! It will be well documented as to when it was made and for who! I don't believe anything else needs to be said. smile
Posted By: Jarvis Re: Let's see what you guys think of this Globe Lens? - Sat Nov 10 2012 12:59 AM
Mark them. If there not old and fantasy then what does a date hurt? Dating them doesn't hurt anything but someone getting ripped off years down the road does hurt!!!
Now nothing can be said...
Posted By: JimT Re: Let's see what you guys think of this Globe Lens? - Sat Nov 10 2012 01:07 AM
Originally Posted By: GasCan
Jarvis,

It's a mute point really. This isn't an oil and gas piece, it's a one of custom car globe! It will be well documented as to when it was made and for who! I don't believe anything else needs to be said. smile
The pictures you posted say both fuel and gasoline.
Posted By: GasCan Re: Let's see what you guys think of this Globe Lens? - Sat Nov 10 2012 02:28 AM
Silence is now golden! whistle whistle whistle
Posted By: Jarvis Re: Let's see what you guys think of this Globe Lens? - Sat Nov 10 2012 02:45 AM

Not the first time this topic has been discussed about marking globes and signs.

I will add i have no respect for people making undated or unmarked items.
Great looking lenses Graeme and Lance keep up the good work. Don't worry about the critics. Some people have nothing better to do.
I don't think anyone was criticizing, I think Jarvis was talking about principals. If it is repro/fantasy it should be dated, regardless. Theres no grey. Its white and black.
Posted By: GasCan Re: Let's see what you guys think of this Globe Lens? - Sat Nov 10 2012 03:18 AM
Thanks Gary and amen to that. smile
Posted By: GasCan Re: Let's see what you guys think of this Globe Lens? - Sat Nov 10 2012 04:10 AM
Think I'm gonna do a Black Joe Gasoline globe next............
Posted By: wolf1980 Re: Let's see what you guys think of this Globe Lens? - Sat Nov 10 2012 04:23 AM
Graeme, how much are you getting for a pair and what color(s) do you have left? I have a buddy with a 55 and he'd probably go ape over them. Mike
Posted By: Notchcad Re: Let's see what you guys think of this Globe Lens? - Sat Nov 10 2012 04:26 AM
Wolf man, I don't think he made a primered version with accel and Holley bumper stickers on it!
Posted By: GasCan Re: Let's see what you guys think of this Globe Lens? - Sat Nov 10 2012 04:30 AM
Actually, I'm thinking that would make a real cool globe now that I think of it. Black Joe Gasoline with OLD written across the center of the lens.

Posted By: GasCan Re: Let's see what you guys think of this Globe Lens? - Sat Nov 10 2012 04:32 AM
Originally Posted By: wolf1980
Graeme, how much are you getting for a pair and what color(s) do you have left? I have a buddy with a 55 and he'd probably go ape over them. Mike

Check your PM messages Mike. smile
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Let's see what you guys think of this Globe Lens? - Sat Nov 10 2012 11:32 AM
I thought there was a rule on this site about posting UNDATED and UNMARKED JUNK
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
I thought there was a rule on this site about posting UNDATED and UNMARKED JUNK

I think that only applies to items listed for sale. I could be wrong.
Theres a difference between good criticism & bad criticism. If you take it the wrong way try to look at it at a different angle. All John is saying is that it should be marked with a date it was made since they are new lenses. That way down the road a collector with less experience runs across the unmarked idem he could get taken for a lot of money for something worth a lot less. This could also play out for a seller to if they buy something to flip. We/I have ran into undated lenses that raises questions down the road but with "experience" noticed the differences. So I agree with what John says about marking things & Im sure most everyone else here will agree too!!!!
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Let's see what you guys think of this Globe Lens? - Sat Nov 10 2012 02:07 PM
The Guidelines say, "Reproduction, fantasy or other newly made items must be clearly described as such.
From this time forward we will be enforcing a rule that all reproduction and fantasy signs, globes, cans and bottles must be marked in a permanent manner for said items to be offered for sale on Oldgas.com. Your cooperation on this is required for future participation."

The key wording is "offered for sale on Oldgas.com."

So it appears that these items are not permanently marked with at least a date or "reproduction / fantasy item" so it should not be offered for sale here unless permanently marked.

I really see no valid reason not to mark items that could later be confused as a genuine item no matter how "apparently fantasy" it may appear at the moment to some people.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Let's see what you guys think of this Globe Lens? - Sat Nov 10 2012 09:14 PM
The rule about permanently marking reproduction and fantasy items was put in place in November 2010. It applies to everyone.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk