Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: LOWright Wooden Propeller value - Sat Apr 13 2013 02:22 PM
Bought two and would like to sell one but prices are all over the place and i'm not sure what makes one more valuable then the others. There both 6' and one is a Flottorp and the other is a Sinsenich. Both in great shape with no cracks and seem to be original finish. I think from the 40's. Thanks, Owen

Attached picture Wooden Prop Flottorp.jpg
Attached picture Wooden Props Both.jpg
Posted By: It's for sale Re: Wooden Propeller value - Sat Apr 13 2013 06:33 PM
I've never had a problem selling one. They always have appeal.
Don't know todays market , but at least $125.00 each.
If they have a nick anywhere in the wood , they can't be used for anything but display. Very nice.
Posted By: BryceG Re: Wooden Propeller value - Sat Apr 13 2013 06:48 PM
the wife has been wanting one for decoration... so let me know if you decide to sell
Posted By: oilmanpat Re: Wooden Propeller value - Sat Apr 13 2013 08:17 PM
I might be interested too.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Wooden Propeller value - Sat Apr 13 2013 08:34 PM
I think the Flottorp props were made in Michigan if I remember correctly. There was one I eyed at a local mall for a couple months and it sold for $350, and yours looks like a nicer one Owen. I thought it was really cool but I just didn't have the wall/floor space to justify buying it. I don't know what makes one more valuable than the other, but they don't last long in the antique shops because they are neat decorator items. My guess is the ones that sell higher are ones that are air-worthy and could be used in a restoration of an old plane.
Darin
Posted By: LOWright Re: Wooden Propeller value - Sat Apr 13 2013 08:54 PM
Thanks Guys,
I have spent a coupe hours looking on line…Ebay they range from $300.00 and go up to $1,200.00 to $1,400.00 and a few even higher. If you look close at the lower end ones the have cracks from drying out, the copper or brass is not fitted very well or finish is not to great (some all of the above). These are very nice and according to Mark the guy i bought them from they could be inspected and be air worthy…He builds and flies old air planes. Still confused! Owen
Posted By: H1HUMMER Re: Wooden Propeller value - Sun Apr 14 2013 01:38 PM
Nice props, I don't claim to put a value on them...I only know what I can sell them for.

These are considered "modern props" post WWII and look to be in nice shape.....

Check this link for more info, there's a ton of info out there. Hope this helps. Tx Z

http://www.modernwoodenpropellers.com/

ps: no offense intended but send all the ones you can find for $125 each to me...I'll double your money ! lol !
Posted By: It's for sale Re: Wooden Propeller value - Sun Apr 14 2013 10:09 PM
Originally Posted By: H1HUMMER
Nice props, I don't claim to put a value on them...I only know what I can sell them for.

These are considered "modern props" post WWII and look to be in nice shape.....

Check this link for more info, there's a ton of info out there. Hope this helps. Tx Z

http://www.modernwoodenpropellers.com/

ps: no offense intended but send all the ones you can find for $125 each to me...I'll double your money ! lol !

I haven't had one for a while , just saying that would be the least they would sell for.
No offense taken . Not many respond to value questions , it's subjective.
I'll contact you if I come across one
Thanks
Posted By: Motorace Re: Wooden Propeller value - Mon Nov 27 2017 02:37 AM
There's a great website for researching wooden propellers...
http://www.woodenpropeller.com/

They have lots of info on identifying older props and even some value info.

I've seen a number of them in antique markets and I don't recall ever seeing one for less than $300.

Many wooden props were replaced by metal ones back around WW2, and these may have come from some such requirement to upgrade for safety reasons. I know that experimental (homebuilt) aircraft are still allowed to use wooden props but there's probably not a lot of demand for them... and if there's the least nick in them they have to be scrapped.

Whatever you do, DO NOT refinish them.. Don't sand and re-varnish them as that will kill their value to collectors, and definitely do not modify the center hub to mount a clock.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk