Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Porcelain Lighthouse Sign - Fri Aug 15 2014 07:04 PM
This sign is from the Iowa gas auction and was sold as a restored sign. This seller says no where in the listing that this sign has been restored

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.a...-Company-Sign.#

Ebay item
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Porcelain Lighthouse Sign - Fri Aug 15 2014 07:51 PM
I clicked on the above link, then clicked on the place if says see item in catalogue. It says very specifically the sign was restored. Also on page 15 of the printed catalogue ( very nice books, make a great reference for later) it says restored. Don't know what else they could say?

Reread the post, I assume the eBay seller is not saying restored?
Posted By: advertologist Re: Porcelain Lighthouse Sign - Fri Aug 15 2014 08:03 PM
sign of subject... cool

Attached picture stauinsn.JPG
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: Porcelain Lighthouse Sign - Fri Aug 15 2014 08:06 PM
In the ebay auction there is no mention that this sign has ben restored.
Posted By: Dr Dave Re: Porcelain Lighthouse Sign - Fri Aug 15 2014 08:09 PM
Even more than not stating "restored", the sign is listed as "original."
"Restored original" would seem to be THE accurate description.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Porcelain Lighthouse Sign - Fri Aug 15 2014 11:12 PM
I imagine the 11 watchers include the bunch of us? Has anyone contacted the seller, or does anyone know who he is?
He might be a third owner that bought it from the IG buyer?
If he's certain its porcelain, it would be fun to have him do the paint stripper test on it!!
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Porcelain Lighthouse Sign - Fri Aug 15 2014 11:58 PM
Kevin,
IF you bought this or any other sign Not Knowing it was restored, Would you do a Paint Stripper Test on it at the request of someone you didn't know?
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Porcelain Lighthouse Sign - Sat Aug 16 2014 12:28 AM
LOL--Maybe in one corner to find out the truth!
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Porcelain Lighthouse Sign - Sat Aug 16 2014 12:42 AM
You'd do a Less Damaging Test, After checking backside for telltale signs of repair.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Porcelain Lighthouse Sign - Sat Aug 16 2014 06:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Kevin,
IF you bought this or any other sign Not Knowing it was restored, Would you do a Paint Stripper Test on it at the request of someone you didn't know?

Anyone that can't tell the difference between a painted and a porcelain sign by touch, feel and weight difference. Should hold off on collecting/reselling signs.
Posted By: gmstuff Re: Porcelain Lighthouse Sign - Sat Aug 16 2014 01:06 PM
Anyone know why this got moved to the Non Petro section?
Posted By: wocopep Re: Porcelain Lighthouse Sign - Sat Aug 16 2014 01:12 PM
I sent a question to the seller asking if it was restored. So far no reply.
Posted By: really Re: Porcelain Lighthouse Sign - Sat Aug 16 2014 03:35 PM
Moved to non petro......maybe because it has nothing to do with an oil or gas company???
Posted By: wocopep Re: Porcelain Lighthouse Sign - Sat Aug 16 2014 10:29 PM
Seller replied to my email that the sign was original and in very good condition. Almost an evasive answer, but if it is the same sign, a total untruth. Does anyone here know this guy?
Posted By: hemistudegasser Re: Porcelain Lighthouse Sign - Sat Aug 16 2014 10:42 PM
this guy is a local flipper near me usually has a girl that does his ebay stuff and she knows nothing about signs.
Posted By: KentuckyT Re: Porcelain Lighthouse Sign - Sat Aug 16 2014 11:18 PM
Just makes you wonder how much longer will this hobby be able to sustain with sellers like this taking advantage of people. Here are a few more quality pieces he's sold.

Posted By: Dr Dave Re: Porcelain Lighthouse Sign - Sat Aug 16 2014 11:52 PM
No need to put paint stripper on the sign. A pin will penetrate the paint and filler but not the porcelain.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk