Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 2 Gallon Luke Fake Air Speed quart can- what do you think - Fri May 15 2015 09:59 AM
The quart can is on eBay. Im pretty sure it is fake, given computer generated lettering and the funky looking seam. I am very good friends with the seller, who I have never known to sell fake stuff.
I want to let him know that his can is not real, but want to be sure myself.. Any opinions?????
Posted By: intagas Re: Fake Air Speed quart can- what do you think - Fri May 15 2015 10:27 AM
I wouldn't touch it.I wouldn't buy one of these unless i knew the seller or had it in my hand period.
Posted By: G & B T-179 Re: Fake Air Speed quart can- what do you think - Mon May 18 2015 01:34 PM
I think it is a copy , yellow is a little off and picture is not as clear as original. Looks like people are bidding on it thinking it is real, Have him look inside, see if there is any oil residue.
Posted By: BryceG Re: Fake Air Speed quart can- what do you think - Tue May 19 2015 05:35 PM
Luke, I saw that on ebay as well... I believe it to be fake for the same reasons. the bottom text looks very suspect. and it looks as though the seam is incorrect. bad pictures to boot
Posted By: G & B T-179 Re: Fake Air Speed quart can- what do you think - Wed May 20 2015 10:21 AM
Guess someone got ripped off thinking it was real,listing was never changed.
Posted By: wocopep Re: Fake Air Speed quart can- what do you think - Wed May 20 2015 01:51 PM
Could someone post the suspect can and a known original for comparison. Always searching for new info and have started buying a few cans after 30+ years of saying no to them. Can looks good until I see the points you guys are making. Would just like to see them both together.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Fake Air Speed quart can- what do you think - Wed May 20 2015 02:00 PM
the way the flash shines off the can it appears too be a vinyl wrap ... cool
Posted By: Scott Shipers Re: Fake Air Speed quart can- what do you think - Wed May 20 2015 02:53 PM
Here is an original that I had. The pictures of the one listed are a dead give away that it's a fake especially at the seam.

Notice the one I had also says reconditioned above the word motor oil.

Posted By: Steven C. Re: Fake Air Speed quart can- what do you think - Wed May 20 2015 03:14 PM
This kind of stuff sure turns me off to this hobby.
I wish there was a way to link this thread to the buyer!!
Posted By: advertologist Re: Fake Air Speed quart can- what do you think - Wed May 20 2015 04:27 PM
760. (repo)(aftermarket) model can- a oldgas member from Calif. bought this can ... cool

Attached picture IMG_1516[1].JPG
Posted By: wocopep Re: Fake Air Speed quart can- what do you think - Wed May 20 2015 09:29 PM
Randy, Is the can above real or not? When you say model can I think repo. Strike that. This is the one from ebay.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Fake Air Speed quart can- what do you think - Wed May 20 2015 09:48 PM
there otta be a law ... cool

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-AIR-SPEED-MOTOR-OIL-1-QUART-CAN-566-V-/351398337917
Posted By: richlube Re: Fake Air Speed quart can- what do you think - Thu May 21 2015 01:19 AM
it has a 14 day return policy so the buyer is covered.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk