Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave 11 1/4 " round Texaco black T - Sun May 31 2015 06:55 PM
Just wondering if anyone has seen these b4. I can't find any others after much research.
The gent I got it from swore up and down that he thinks it's real saying he saw the station owner reach into a Texaco branded box and get this out saying it was never used.
I believe his story or that he believed the story given to him but I know it's not a original.
The size is odd and the back is odd too.
I know the grommets aren't in the correct position and the porcelain is thin like late 60s/early 70s porcelain and not heavily shelved like it was on the 15" originals that I had at one time.
The back is a brown kinda sand-papery tan color and feel.
Did some company make some repops in the 70s/80s that anyone knows of?

...and... no worries, it's on my Wall-O-Repops and won't be sold, ever! My Oilzum repop has already served as a example that saved someone from spending $$$$?? on another one!

Attached picture DSCF5539r.jpg
Attached picture DSCF5540r.jpg
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: 11 1/4 " round Texaco black T - Sun May 31 2015 10:47 PM
Overseas Petro repops have been around since the 1950s, for the most part they are very crude compared to those made now...

A flood hit the Marketplace in the mid 1970s... And another hit when the "Ande Rooney Company" started making more "true to the original" repops starting around 1980...
Posted By: nochevys Re: 11 1/4 " round Texaco black T - Mon Jun 01 2015 06:08 PM
looks like an ande rooney with the spot on the back where the label was...
Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave Re: 11 1/4 " round Texaco black T - Mon Jun 01 2015 07:13 PM
Yes, I said the exact same thing to him when face to face. He quickly said it was from a price sticker he put on but now that I have looked it up on ebay, it's definitely a Ande Rooney repop.
Gotta follow that first gut feeling!

So, if your looking at Texaco round porcelain signs, always remember the rule of 8", 10" & 15"!!
Posted By: Lappin864 Re: 11 1/4 " round Texaco black T - Thu Jun 04 2015 04:57 PM
a lot of fake 8" ones as well though with the date so you gotta be careful with those.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: 11 1/4 " round Texaco black T - Mon Jun 08 2015 08:15 PM
Anytime you see that tan color sandy/gritty back it's an Ande Rooney sign.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk