Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Signal Gas & Oil Mobil Pump Plates - Fri Oct 29 2004 04:18 PM
Thanks to Don Raleigh we have something to put here. When ever looking at a Mobil pump plates a reproduction can easily be idntified by the words at the bottom shown in picture licensed by ;;;;;;;;. It doesn't matter if the band around the outside is thicker or thinner or even black. I am not specifically a Mobil collector and hopefully they can add a lot more to this. It is the key words at the bottom. Check it out. Ted

REAL ONE

FAKE ONE

THIS IS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE FAKE

[This message has been edited by troach (edited 10-29-2004).]
Posted By: the poor mans museum Re: Mobil Pump Plates - Tue Nov 02 2004 01:12 AM
Since we're on the topic of Mobil plates maybe you guys can help me with these. The second one was represneted as original. It is orange and black (as opposed to red and blue). There are no trade marks. The round one is 11 3/4" diameter. Came of a little pump I bought and I assumed it was a repop. No trade marks or licensing info.

Any ideas real or repops?

[This message has been edited by the poor mans museum (edited 11-01-2004).]
Posted By: djhubba Re: Mobil Pump Plates - Tue Nov 02 2004 01:17 AM
The round one is probably a repop...the shield looks like an awesome original drop leg west coast pump plate...me likes , me likes :-)...if you ever want to sell or trade the drop leg shield...let me know ..I have a mobilgas one and it would be nice to have the special.

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator
Posted By: the poor mans museum Re: Mobil Pump Plates - Tue Nov 02 2004 01:27 AM
Thanks for the info hubba! The guy I bought it from thought they used the orange and black on the "east" coast, but you say those were the west coast colors? What time frame (years) did Mobil use the orange and black?
Posted By: djhubba Re: Mobil Pump Plates - Tue Nov 02 2004 09:36 AM
The black border is west coast ..the red or what should be reddish..might be an orange red from slight fading...mine is pretty red on my west coast sign. I have seen many shades and tints of reds on these signs though...no worries. As far as dates..I would say 40's ...for more accurate tiome span would have to look it up and its almost 3 am here and I just got back from my OCTANE gig and I have to go to bed...maybe someone else can chime in with dates...nite nite all :-)

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator
Posted By: Dwaine Buck Re: Mobil Pump Plates - Tue Nov 02 2004 11:58 AM
The Mobil shield is a Cali plate the horse's hovse going through the A, I had two of them years ago and sold them to Butch Greer for 375.00 each, as far as the color being a little on the orngie side, we found an orange porcelain top for a Mobil Special script top in Tennessee and my friend Dale Stephens has it. Thats the great thing about collecting you can find something new all the time.and if your not sure always ask.

------------------
Dwaine. PCA member.
www.vintage-logos.com
http://www.caltel.com/~jlgas/
http://www.caltel.com/~jlgas/Items_for_Sale.html
http://www.caltel.com/~jlgas/misc_.html
Posted By: fast66 Re: Mobil Pump Plates - Tue Nov 02 2004 02:01 PM
Hello Guys!
The Mobil black border pump plates come from the General gasoline territory on the west Coast. These shields also have a sharper "hook" on the lower sides than any other shields and also they have the same size Pegasus on both Mobilgas and Mobilgas special plates (the leg protrude into the text as Dwaine said).

The blue border shields (made by Ingram Richardson) were used on the eastcoast and in most parts of the US between 1946-53/54 when they were replaced by the thin white/blue border (as on the Diesel plate in this post) that was used until 1961. In 62 the new rectangular plate with the new wider shield came to use and the gasoline names were changed to Premium and Regular.

There is also another type of shield that was used in the Magnolia territories. It has a wider white edge with a very thin blue border. They are a little larger than the above - 12X13"
regards,
Claes
ps it is impossible to date this shield to a specific year as it does not have a date mark on it. This design was used between 1946 and 1962. ds
[This message has been edited by fast66 (edited 11-02-2004).]

[This message has been edited by fast66 (edited 11-02-2004).]
Posted By: the poor mans museum Re: Mobil Pump Plates - Tue Nov 02 2004 09:44 PM
Thanks for the help guys, makes me feel better about my purchase. I bought several plates from this guy but was reluctant to post the lot in showcases without knowing if the Mobil was a repop. He's a trustworthy guy but the orange color threw me off. I thought it might have been an attempt at a repop that didn't come out right.

Claes, you're a wealth of information over there in Sweden. Look me up when you come visit your Danish friends here in Solvang (The Danish Capitol of America).

------------------
www.poormansmuseum.com

[This message has been edited by the poor mans museum (edited 11-02-2004).]
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk