Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: s932 T-53 pegasus from Missouri again - Fri Jan 08 2010 02:04 PM
I just saw this on ebay the guy is from Missouri and has not sold anything on ebay before. It also says unknown if its original or not. Seems fishy to me almost like someone has a new user name on ebay. I could be wrong but all these T53 seem to come from Missouri.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Porcelain-Mobil-Hors...=item33590d8ae3
Posted By: oldgoaly Re: T-53 pegasus from Missouri again - Fri Jan 08 2010 03:45 PM
he probably selling that "cord" of wood in behind the sign too!
Posted By: chadrock00 Re: T-53 pegasus from Missouri again - Sat Jan 09 2010 09:50 PM
I emailed him and told him to change the status from unknown to repro. He emailed me back and asked how I new, so I told him. Also told him to check out the web site.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: T-53 pegasus from Missouri again - Sun Jan 10 2010 12:52 AM
I emailed him the same info, hopefully he understands! If enough people email these sellers with the correct information, maybe it will educate some of them and make it harder for the con men to rip them off! Its a sad deal when someone gets possesion of one of these repops and doesn't know its a fake!
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: T-53 pegasus from Missouri again - Sun Jan 10 2010 01:38 AM
The seller asked: tell me how you know ?

I replied: From my education with reproductions in the Gas & Oil collectibles industry! There are several books that identify all of the advertising memorabilia ever made and Mobil is probably one of the most researched! Of course, there is no book on reproductions, and the con men rely on this lack of information for the average collector, in order to sell cheaply made reproductions for large sums of money!
This subject of the T-53 Pegasus , has been debated at length with some of the foremost collectors in the country and its been established that this particular sign is a direct copy of the large Pegasus "Cookie Cutter" sign. Doesn't the absense of mounting brackets alone, raise your suspicions?? Believe me that Mobil Oil never made this sign and every one that you'll ever see, is in GREAT shape because they were never in use! If you study old advertising signs at all, you'd know that there are never 2 alike unless they were unused! The T-53's were ALL unused! --KEVIN
Posted By: s932 Re: T-53 pegasus from Missouri again - Sun Jan 10 2010 02:25 AM
Another thing with the t-53's they look like they were cut with a plasma cutter. All the edges are rough like cut your hand rough. It still seems funny that they all seem to come from Missouri
Posted By: chadrock00 Re: T-53 pegasus from Missouri again - Sun Jan 10 2010 03:20 AM
Well I got a response and this is it word for word...

" all the remakes i have seen have a white back the last guy that told my friend his sign was no good its sold for 44,000.00 in adv. auction"

I told him as nicely as possible that someone overpaid for a sign or they have no brains.
Posted By: SODAMAMAK Re: T-53 pegasus from Missouri again - Mon Jan 11 2010 12:49 AM
I don't know who had it, but there was one at "its a gas" in columbia last year. he had a pretty good price on it also. wonder if there wil be any this year??
I know someone on this board saw it besides me..
Posted By: s932 Re: T-53 pegasus from Missouri again - Wed Jan 13 2010 10:43 PM
Well it sold for $355.00. I guess someone wanted a real expensive crappy sign.
Posted By: s932 Re: T-53 pegasus from Missouri again - Mon Feb 15 2010 09:29 PM
On ebay here are the #'s two more of these T-53 signs.
220557242254 160403453767
I know its like kicking a dead horse on these signs but maybe some body will read this and not buy a repro.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: T-53 pegasus from Missouri again - Tue Feb 16 2010 09:21 PM
The guy with the expensive one has had some on there before and he's been told that they are repops. Notice how he doesn't exactly say its an old sign?? CROOK!
Posted By: chadrock00 Re: T-53 pegasus from Missouri again - Sat Feb 20 2010 02:13 PM
You would think the buyers would notice that slimpickins only has 5 total sales and all of them are these rare t-53 horses. One of them sold for over $500.00. His sales still do not say whether they are or are not repro's.
Posted By: s932 Re: T-53 pegasus from Missouri again - Sat Feb 20 2010 02:25 PM
You would think if you were going to spend that kind of money you would do a little research. I guess some people have more money than brains.
Posted By: gasoildude Re: T-53 pegasus from Missouri again - Sat Feb 20 2010 03:49 PM
Rare yeah right-Yet how many of these pieces of cr*p have been sold? Have we reached 50 yet?
Posted By: s932 Re: T-53 pegasus from Missouri again - Sat Feb 20 2010 05:21 PM
oh im sure another one just got listed
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: T-53 pegasus from Missouri again - Mon Feb 22 2010 04:54 PM
The seller in question now has on their latest "original sign" auction, that they have 4 more "T-53" pegasus and a cookie cutter. I asked about them selling these "fake signs". Here is their response;

"In response to your question we appreciate your concerns. We have done as much research as we can, we have had more sign dealers that like these signs than not. I am not offering these signs for large money, these are great signs for anyone restoring gas stations or decorating. There are alot of people that can't afford the 2500.00 signs so they buy these. No one can tell me the age or origin of these signs and we would like to know how you know.
Sincerely,
Junkman59"

To me, getting between $350 and $450 for signs they know are fake. And to keep selling them based on they are "doing a service for those who can't afford $2500.00 signs", IMO makes them crooks. But, then again the law can't change "stupid", if a person wants to buy a "fake sign" for hundreds of dollars then go for it.
Posted By: quincy oil&gas Re: T-53 pegasus from Missouri again - Sat Mar 20 2010 12:06 PM
hey been reading the thread, so they are repoped, so what do you thing they are really worth, say you wanted to use as a out door sign, thx
Posted By: gasoildude Re: T-53 pegasus from Missouri again - Sat Mar 20 2010 02:03 PM
I would say $100-$150 for one to hang outside. JMO smile
Posted By: JOSBORN Re: T-53 pegasus from Missouri again - Thu Dec 09 2010 10:11 AM
Item number: 150525013785

Wow! The craziness is getting worse.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: T-53 pegasus from Missouri again - Thu Dec 09 2010 01:33 PM
Thats the guy that I had all the conversations with about 2 years ago. He actually got stiffed on several of these and when I explained it all to him, he just changed the description! If you read it, he doesn't say anywhere that its an old sign or an antique. He just lets the buyers imagination take hold and do the work. He should be about out of them by now?
Posted By: Scott Baselt Re: T-53 pegasus from Missouri again - Thu Dec 09 2010 03:57 PM
Originally Posted By: JOSBORN
Item number: 150525013785

Wow! The craziness is getting worse.

WOW is right !

The auction ended at $1526.99 !!!!!!!!
Posted By: JOSBORN Re: T-53 pegasus from Missouri again - Thu Dec 09 2010 08:30 PM
Sucks to be him!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk