Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Robert77 Ford Charcoal - Real or Repop??? - Thu Aug 26 2010 01:50 AM
Ebay Auction #:140443240266 - They have it listed as a real sign, but before I lay down major money to get it, I'm wondering if anyone's ever seen one before. I suspect it's a repop, Ford was pretty good about having makers marking's on most everything i've seen before. I'm thinking maybe this was something you could have bought in the Henry Ford Museum gift shop 35 years ago....

Attached picture Ford Charcoal.jpg
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Ford Charcoal - Real or Repop??? - Thu Aug 26 2010 04:31 PM
Robert, I knew I had seen this seller before, but couldn't place them. They are the one's selling the fiberglass Pegasus, posted in the "Online Auctions" forum. They claimed the pegasus was real, even after it was pointed out that it is a repop(and not a good one). They have to be happy, the pegasus went for over $700.

IMO, just a cheap tin repop.
Posted By: Robert77 Re: Ford Charcoal - Real or Repop??? - Thu Aug 26 2010 07:46 PM
Thanks Bob,

It just didn't look right to me either. Since I now know they have a history of selling repop, i'm out. I assumed it would go nowhere to flat out ask the sellers themselves...
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Ford Charcoal - Real or Repop??? - Thu Aug 26 2010 08:13 PM
Robert-Ford did make charcoal. He made them from the leftover scraps of wood from the cars in the Model As & earlier cars. His brother in law then started the company known as Kingsford Charcoal. The sign might be real but it is hard to tell from that pic. You would almost have to hold it in hand to judge that.
Posted By: 1970mach Re: Ford Charcoal - Real or Repop??? - Wed Sep 29 2010 10:09 PM
They have had these before. Seems odd that they would have that many of these rare signs (strike one). I checked their completed listings and they sold this same sign this past month (strike 2). I also seen one earlier in the summer. ALL of them seem to be in the same shape(strike 3). I would stay clear. Too fishy to be tossing around 2.3-2.5k. there are a lot of nice signs you can get for that kind of doe
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk