Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: gulfiend! Leonard "Out Board" Motor Oil sign... - Mon Oct 11 2010 07:49 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220680866088

...anyone think this is real?...'cos I sure don't...
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Leonard "Out Board" Motor Oil sign... - Mon Oct 11 2010 08:13 PM
ISN'T "OUTBOARD" ONE WORD? SUSPICIOUS RIGHT FROM THAT!
Posted By: bustermonty Re: Leonard "Out Board" Motor Oil sign... - Mon Oct 11 2010 08:41 PM
Doc, I think that tells the story. Must have got a bigger oven but forgot the dictionary.
Posted By: Jarvis Re: Leonard "Out Board" Motor Oil sign... - Tue Oct 12 2010 09:52 AM
Notice on last page where he refers to oldgas... there is a Leonard Outboard map and Outboard is one word. I would stay clear of this sign.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Leonard "Out Board" Motor Oil sign... - Tue Oct 12 2010 07:06 PM
Q: Dear jjg777, Why is the word spelled 'OUT BOARD' on your sign, and 'OUTBOARD' on the can you linked to on Oldgas? Why would anyone spell 'OUTBOARD' as two words?

A: Great question. I dont know why they would. My guess is that because this oil company was so small that they didnt pay to have the signs redone.
Posted By: outboard101 Re: Leonard "Out Board" Motor Oil sign... - Wed Oct 13 2010 02:18 AM
Im new to this site. I saw this sign on EBAY and I am thinking about purchasing it. My question would be if it was a reproduction woudnt there be more of them?
Posted By: Scott Baselt Re: Leonard "Out Board" Motor Oil sign... - Wed Oct 13 2010 04:08 AM
Originally Posted By: outboard101
Im new to this site. I saw this sign on EBAY and I am thinking about purchasing it. My question would be if it was a reproduction wouldnt there be more of them?

Welcome to the site jjg777.

It could be a fantasy item.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Leonard "Out Board" Motor Oil sign... - Wed Oct 13 2010 10:38 AM
...or, whoever made the signs is being patient, so as not to flood the market and arouse suspicion...

...I suppose 'fantasy item' is a more correct term for this sign than reproduction...
Posted By: Hud Oil Re: Leonard "Out Board" Motor Oil sign... - Wed Oct 13 2010 01:48 PM
I asked if the back of the sign was painted or porcelain, here is the answer:

Back of the sign is not porcelain. It is painted.

- jjg777
that tells me that this is not a original sign
Posted By: nine_twelve Re: Leonard "Out Board" Motor Oil sign... - Thu Oct 14 2010 05:50 PM
Was at the auction where this was bought. Passed after looking it over and speaking to others who had shown up to look at the sign. Seems there are others. At least three that I know of. All the same condition. Told that they were 'created' by a guy out of Missouri known for 'rare and one of a kind' signs.
Posted By: bustermonty Re: Leonard "Out Board" Motor Oil sign... - Thu Oct 14 2010 07:25 PM
Thank You nine_twelve. You are the missing link. I wonder if they make the fake T51 or whatever Pegasus? Thought those came from MO as well.
Posted By: Scott Baselt Re: Leonard "Out Board" Motor Oil sign... - Fri Oct 15 2010 02:06 AM
Good info !!

We'll get a handle on this stuff yet.
Posted By: Gaspedler Re: Leonard "Out Board" Motor Oil sign... - Sat Oct 16 2010 11:04 AM
Hmmmm... interesting discussion.
Too many things about this item, and this discussion don't add up.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Leonard "Out Board" Motor Oil sign... - Sun Oct 17 2010 05:24 PM
...someone sure spent a lot of money for a fake...
Posted By: tincanman Leonard "Out Board" Motor Oil sign. - Fri Oct 22 2010 09:37 PM
The sign is for sure a fantasy sign. I saw two of these in NC at a Antique show and one at a gas show. They seem to be showing up more and more.
Posted By: Tydolwave Re: Leonard "Out Board" Motor Oil sign. - Wed Nov 10 2010 01:37 PM
New to this site. I think these are the work of John Clifford from Montecello Indiana. I hear he`s back in business.
Posted By: Blackout Re: Leonard "Out Board" Motor Oil sign. - Tue Apr 19 2011 08:59 PM
Thought I would bump this up.I do not know if there is a picture of this sign on here,can't view ebay listing anymore either,I would think this is same style that is talked about here. Here is one I looked at today soon as I seen it knew it was a repo did not even have to pick it up,told him was a repo but he did not believe me even after explaining to him why font,back,porcelian look etc.sorry about dark pic. size was around 16"x24"

© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk