Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: HI-OCTANE Malco Pump Plate - Mon Jan 10 2011 01:21 AM
Does any one know if this is a real pump plate ? All the collectors here in New Mexico that I have talked too over the years say that they have never seen a pump plate like this on a pump. Just decals,this has been ongoing discussion over the years in this part of the country. And only about 3 or 4 that I have seen on ebay have come up. And their always in very good condition and always out of Texas. Appreciate your insight. 320640429379
Posted By: HI-OCTANE Re: Malco Pump Plate - Tue Jan 11 2011 01:57 AM
does any one know what happened to this pump plate on ebay ? It ended. Did any one on here get this ?320640429379
Posted By: texaspelican Re: Malco Pump Plate - Tue Jan 11 2011 04:46 AM
I was watching it also. No one can tell me if it was real. Grommets looked correct but the size and back had me wondering.
Posted By: Old Iron Re: Malco Pump Plate - Tue Jan 11 2011 09:47 PM
I know there are three Malco globes;the Thunderbird,the Zia and the Ethyl.I also know there is a Malco Supreme sign and I think there is also a Malco Supreme decal.Only one pump plate?I don't know,it just seems somewhat strange.
Posted By: texaspelican Re: Malco Pump Plate - Wed Jan 12 2011 06:14 PM
MALCO credit cards accepted sign is another.
Posted By: POLESIGNKID Re: Malco Pump Plate - Wed Jan 12 2011 07:22 PM
Pump plates back. eBay 370474713254
Posted By: HI-OCTANE Re: Malco Pump Plate - Wed Jan 12 2011 11:57 PM
That's a different one. Same seller they must have came up with another one. Curious where they came up with two of these, I just don't think Malco ever made these.
Posted By: texaspelican Re: Malco Pump Plate - Thu Jan 13 2011 02:01 AM
Originally Posted By: HI-OCTANE
That's a different one. Same seller they must have came up with another one. Curious where they came up with two of these, I just don't think Malco ever made these.

your right...they are different.
there has always been much debate over if MALCO ever had pump plates..I called a friend today that deals in pump plates for many years.
Told me he has always stayed away from them.

They don't give me that warm fuzzy feeling.
Posted By: HI-OCTANE Re: Malco Pump Plate - Thu Jan 13 2011 02:18 AM
I think your right. There have been a lot of pumps found here in N.M. with Malco decals but nobody has ever seen a pump plate on one. I have found the porcelain malco big signs, and even have the Malco credit card accepted sign. Just not enough evidence to ever prove that Malco came out with a pump plate. Always wanted one but to scary.
Posted By: texaspelican Re: Malco Pump Plate - Thu Jan 13 2011 02:40 AM
I would like to see what a big sign looks like.
Posted By: Old Iron Re: Malco Pump Plate - Thu Jan 13 2011 02:35 PM
Hi Paddy,

There are actually three big MALCO identifation signs that know of.They made a 5' diameter round one that looks like the pump plate under discussion.Possibly the oldest.They also made a rectangular one,about 3'X5',with a smaller thunderbird on top above large MALCO letters.There is a pic of it in use on page 66 of the hardback book Route 66 Remembered.I like pics of signs in use when I can find them.Then,the most recent,they made a large,8',oval with just MALCO on it.Very plain.

Hope that helps.
Posted By: POLESIGNKID Re: Malco Pump Plate - Sat Jan 15 2011 04:15 PM
There was a malco pole sign list on ebay 6 or7 months ago......guy was wanting like $1500......
Posted By: POLESIGNKID Re: Malco Pump Plate - Sun Jan 16 2011 12:37 AM
Well the pump plate is up to $147.
Posted By: Scott Baselt Re: Malco Pump Plate - Mon Jan 17 2011 12:20 AM
The pump plate is now at $510 with 17 hours to go. I emailed the seller and he said he guarantees it 100% to be old and original.

It's now beyond what I would pay for it so, I'll just sit back and watch............
Posted By: HI-OCTANE Re: Malco Pump Plate - Mon Jan 17 2011 01:52 AM
We have found Malco Globes, license plate toppers Two different credit card signs that Malco made. I have found the 5 foot round thunder bird porcelain sign other collectors have found the rectangle porcelain signs and also the very rare Malco Supreme big sign and also miscellaneous other stuff like maps and even a credit card and lots of other collector out here have found a lot of pumps branded Malco. But none of them had a porcelain pump plate on them, You would think that one would have turned up by now not even a beat up one. It just seems kind of strange that none of the pickers out here have ever come across one. Somethings not right with those things. And every time one comes up it always in very good condition. Maybe It's just me.
Posted By: texaspelican Re: Malco Pump Plate - Mon Jan 17 2011 03:07 AM
maybe they were in bulk plant(s) and were never issued? There are always new discoveries. I got a globe a few years ago that was rummored to be made but no one had ever seen one...know its real because I found it in a old bulk plant with straw packing..It was listed in new discoveries in PCM a while back and I got lots of emails and phone calls...just wouldn't sell and I still have it packed away....It just puzzles me that a pump plate and none has ever found on a pump or a picture of one on a pump or a former employee...this one on ebay sure looks real even grommets and the back...oh well. the worst thing is I didn't get it, if it was real. The best thing is I still have my money.
Posted By: texaspelican Re: Malco Pump Plate - Wed Jan 19 2011 05:14 AM
it sold for over a $1000.
Does the buyer know something we don't?
Was there shill going on?
Did the buyer buy a fantasy?
Posted By: HI-OCTANE Re: Malco Pump Plate - Thu Jan 20 2011 12:56 AM
We have guys out here in New Mexico that have been collecting gas & oil stuff for about 20 years or so. Long before I got the bug, and I have talked to them about these Malco pump plates on number of occasions and They say they never made them. But there could have been maybe just one jobber that had a few made or maybe some were made for the refineriery in Arttesia, New Mexico. But every one of these that has come up for sale was out of Texas. I don't even think Malco was in Texas. But these things sure look real to me with the gray porcelain back and the rack marks and the split grommets. So who knows. Would think a beat up one would turn up some where.
Posted By: Tydolwave Re: Malco Pump Plate - Wed Jan 26 2011 12:13 AM
Sometimes the mouse is so busy studying the trap,that he totally misses the fact that he`s sitting on a block of ***** while doing it. That plate has ALL the looks,colors,and graphic lines of a good old pc. Just cause we`ve not seen one somewhere means little cause we might be seeing it now. I`m not a Malco expert,but have found lots of great signs over the years that nobody saw,and used to take advice from naysayers. I once sold a fabulous tin Hershey sign that an old "expert" guaranteed me wasn`t real cause he never saw on in 30 years of dealing.I regret it to this day.Porcelain signs could be made in small quantities,not used and stored away. We`ve all seen it. The seller has great feedback,and doesn`t look like he sells signs in general. If I collected plates,I`d be a player on that one. Just my O P I N I O N !!!
Posted By: bustermonty Re: Malco Pump Plate - Wed Jan 26 2011 10:50 AM
Very similar to the signs that were produced by the guy who went to jail (I think)
for selling fake items.
Posted By: GM-Approved Re: Malco Pump Plate - Thu Mar 01 2012 05:34 AM
Originally Posted By: HI-OCTANE
We have guys out here in New Mexico that have been collecting gas & oil stuff for about 20 years or so. Long before I got the bug, and I have talked to them about these Malco pump plates on number of occasions and They say they never made them. But there could have been maybe just one jobber that had a few made or maybe some were made for the refineriery in Arttesia, New Mexico. But every one of these that has come up for sale was out of Texas. I don't even think Malco was in Texas. But these things sure look real to me with the gray porcelain back and the rack marks and the split grommets. So who knows. Would think a beat up one would turn up some where.
There was Malco stations in El Paso,a friend told me one still has the sign up on Montana I think.
Posted By: Mario Re: Malco Pump Plate - Fri Mar 30 2012 01:15 PM
The Malco sign in El Paso is actually on Paisano next to a transmission parts dealer. There is also one here in Las Cruces still on the pole at a construction co. Also, one in Elephant Butte right off I-25. Anyway, I have never seen this pump plate either and have been picking for over 20 years here in New Mexico. I have had the credit cards honored here and the round one with the thunderbird.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk