Posted By: Miken Re: Real or Repro - Sun Feb 06 2011 08:28 PM
looks 3/4 real. But i'm no expert
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Real or Repro - Sun Feb 06 2011 09:08 PM
Originally Posted By: 57tbirdkid
I think it's a reproduction made to look old-
Texaco sign

hope your not serious
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: Real or Repro - Sun Feb 06 2011 09:11 PM
About what? To me it looks like a repro that someone left outside. The T looks too wide. Maybe the way I wrote it was different on how it sounds. I know reproductions are made to look old. But this one is made to look original! Maybe that's a better way to put it.
Posted By: Scott Baselt Re: Real or Repro - Sun Feb 06 2011 10:58 PM
Looks original to me. ROUGH but original. Wouldn't even make a decent barn hanger unless Doc worked his magic on it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Real or Repro - Sun Feb 06 2011 11:01 PM
PERHAPS IF YOU OVERLAPPED ANOTHER SAME SIZE TEXACO SIGN OVER THE MISSING PORCELAIN, THIS SIGN COULD WORK. BE SURE THIS ONE IS COVERING A GOOD SIZE HOLE IN THE WALL WHERE YOU ARE HANGING IT SO I CAN SERVE A DOUBLE PURPOSE!
Posted By: KentuckyT Re: Real or Repro - Sun Feb 06 2011 11:19 PM
I agree with you Keith, the T does look off.

It could be a matter of different sign makers standards when this sign was made in the teens and twenties (if it is an original).

If it is a reproduction, someone put a lot of effort into aging it.
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: Real or Repro - Sun Feb 06 2011 11:53 PM
Ebay sign:

My Sign:

Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Real or Repro - Mon Feb 07 2011 12:12 AM
I'VE SEEN THE 42" FILLING STATION TEXACO BOTH WAYS. MAYBE ONE IS EARLIER THAN THE OTHER?
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: Real or Repro - Mon Feb 07 2011 12:14 AM
I thought they made it like my sign and a script version? From the looks of the script version it does not look anything like the one on ebay>
Posted By: Tankar Re: Real or Repro - Mon Feb 07 2011 12:14 AM
(Real) it looks like mine and I know mine is original.

Attached picture MVC-188S.JPG
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Real or Repro - Mon Feb 07 2011 12:16 AM
those repro 42" signs have not been made for that long, I believe they are also 2 sided. as originals are single sided.
Why would someone possibly take a $250. repop, destroy it, weld a piece on and hope to get $100. out of it. It's original.

I think we carry the repop thing a bit too far sometime.
Posted By: KentuckyT Re: Real or Repro - Mon Feb 07 2011 12:21 AM
Some great pictures of original signs. I didn't know that there were two different versions of the early design.
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: Real or Repro - Mon Feb 07 2011 12:22 AM
You Have a good financial point there KZ1000. Why would someone take a new re-pop sign to get less money for it. I have just never seen that version of the filling station sign. Thanks Guys!
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Real or Repro - Mon Feb 07 2011 12:23 AM
Yes lots of nice pictures, I WANT ONE OF THOSE SIGNS,
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: Real or Repro - Mon Feb 07 2011 12:28 AM
Jamie,

I think there are 3 versions. Page 25 in A Tour with Texaco Shows the script verison.
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Real or Repro - Mon Feb 07 2011 12:52 AM
I DON'T NEED ANY FINGER POINTING FROM THE COPYRIGHT POLICE, SO I WILL JUST DESCRIBE THAT ON PAGE 85 OF AMISTADI'S ANTIQUE ADVERTISING, THERE ARE PICTURES OF BOTH FILLING STATION SIGNS, HOWEVER, THE ONE WITH THE SKINNY "T" HAS A BLACK OUTLINE AROUND THE LETTERS "GASOLINE" & "FILLING STATION"
LIKE YOURS HAS KEITH, BUT THE FONT IS NOTICEABLY DIFFERENT.

SO DOES THIS MAKE A 4TH KNOWN VERSION? I PERSONALLY HAVE NEVER SEEN A "SCRIPT" VERSION.
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: Real or Repro - Mon Feb 07 2011 12:59 AM
I think there are 3 versions. Two shown on page 84 and 1 at the top of 85(the one below looks like the one on page 84) from what I can see.
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Real or Repro - Mon Feb 07 2011 01:22 AM
YEAH, THE ONE ON THE TOP LH CORNER OF PAGE 85 IS THE ODD-BALL THAT I'M BRINGING UP HERE AS THE 4TH(?) VERSION.

I DON'T HAVE THE TOUR WITH TEXACO BOOK, SO I'M STILL IN THE DARK ABOUT THE SCRIPT VERSION.
Posted By: Miken Re: Real or Repro - Mon Feb 07 2011 02:43 AM
There is one in The Tour with Texaco. has note: (script letter style)
Posted By: Miken Re: Real or Repro - Mon Feb 07 2011 02:47 AM
and just found another one same book note:(block letter style)
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Real or Repro - Mon Feb 07 2011 02:53 AM
You guys need to get out in the real world and go to shows and auctions, Put them damn books down and start answering some of these questions by experience instead of opening up and quoting what you saw in a "Book", anybody can quote what the "Books" say, and they are not always right.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Real or Repro - Mon Feb 07 2011 03:34 AM
I hope that he who relies on books for values has great Blister on his posterior & fingers.
Posted By: blacktee Re: Real or Repro - Mon Feb 07 2011 11:16 AM
I wouldn't get all carried away with this third and forth version stuff. A Tour With Texaco calls the thinner letterings script, probably one man's description of fonts ? The sign in question is real. In March I'll have access to the books Texaco published showing these signs. Is there a third version ? I'll do my best to find out. All the signs shown on this thread are real in my opion.
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Real or Repro - Mon Feb 07 2011 12:47 PM
RICK, I DO GO TO SHOWS. ABOUT 5 A YEAR. AUCTIONS WITH PETRO ARE NON EXISTENT ON LOND ISLAND.

AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED BOOKS PRETTY MUCH DON'T LIE WHEN IT COMES TO PICTURES. THEY GIVE AN HONEST IDEA OF WHAT WAS MADE AND COULD BE OUT THERE. WHAT BOOKS "SAY" IS ANOTHER STORY.

DB, THIS THREAD IS ABOUT REAL OR REPRO, NOT VALUES. BOOKS QUOTING VALUES ARE AT BEST GOOD FOR ABOUT A YEAR OR TWO FROM THEIR PRINTING DATE. PLUS THE MARKET FLUCTUATES BOTH WAYS IN ALL CATEGORIES ANYWAY.

DOUG, I BELIEVE YOU ARE CORRECT AS FAR AS A FONT STYLE BEING COINED AS SCRIPT WHEN IN REALITY IT'S NOT SCRIPT AS WE KNOW IT. THE AMISTADI BOOK SHOWS 3 DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF THE 42" FILLING STATION TEXACO SIGN. ALL HAVING DIFFERENT STYLE FONTS.
Posted By: marxmobilgas Re: Real or Repro - Mon Feb 07 2011 03:33 PM
if it was a repo, I would have "aged" it considerably less to keep the value up

some round blade took off the top left surface...
Posted By: blacktee Re: Real or Repro - Mon Feb 07 2011 10:20 PM
Doc

Could you post the 3 different styles shown in that book, I've never seen the third one ?

Thanks
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Real or Repro - Mon Feb 07 2011 11:36 PM
Originally Posted By: blacktee
Doc

Could you post the 3 different styles shown in that book, I've never seen the third one ?

Thanks

CHECK YOUR PM'S! wink
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk