Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: thermactor Now they're making fake large Dealership Neons - Sat Mar 26 2011 08:51 PM
I was surprised (though should I be?) to see this fake 12 1/2 foot, 2-piece Oldsmobile dealership neon sign on eBay. The seller is up-front about what it is.

It's massive, and the description says:
"The face lettering and field has depth, gloss, feel, and sheen of mint porcelain, though are actually thick, multi-layered coats of hard shell automotive enamels – obtaining the near-perfect duplication of porcelain. Exceptional quality and workmanship. We were very lucky to have purchased this sign from the museum quality restoration house which made it."

The sign has the original-type Walker marking at the bottom. It does not appear to be marked as a reproduction. Why would someone put the sign company marking at the bottom if not to deceive?

I inquired, and the "restoration house" that made the sign from scratch is "Martin and Don VanKannell."

Just thought I would pass this along.
I find it to be very wrong of them to put original markings on it period. It should be clearly marked reproduction.
Obviously it should be marked reproduction, but that's a discussion that's been had many times before. I also think it is VERY wrong of them to put the original markings on it. If they aren't trying to deceive a buyer down the road, why would they have put the Walker marking on it?
those are some really awful welds and yes, it should be marked
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Now they're making fake large Dealership Neons - Sun Mar 27 2011 11:03 AM
Thanks for the heads up.
this seller just came up on like 8 of those high dollar gulf lighthouse signs. i think its odd. they auction those off for whatever they can get em for but that sinclair opaline oil can sign is buy it now for exactly what it sold for at a recent auction? i dont like this "electronic" antique buisness
Posted By: Bud Miley Re: Now they're making fake large Dealership Neons - Mon Mar 28 2011 12:04 PM
The plus side to this is ..since the welds are very crude, I think most collectors will know its a repop anyway. I know I wouldnt buy anything looking like that.
My first thought that when I saw them on ebay was that this is a great price on this sign until I read further. There will be conflict on not the next buyer, but possibly the ones after that. People have been reproducing big neons for about 15 years now and they are out there already and with non-knowing owners. A friend of mine was the buyer about 12 years ago and looked inside to find out the hard way. Not a happy camper, returned it.
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Now they're making fake large Dealership Neons - Mon Mar 28 2011 09:26 PM
Isn't the maker of this sign a well known sign restorer who should have known better?
Yep.
& they did as the customer instructed. It's all about $$$$$$$$$$, not what is right or wrong.
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Now they're making fake large Dealership Neons - Mon Mar 28 2011 11:55 PM
If they printed "Walker Signs" that is wrong whether the customer asked for it or not. EVERYBODY knows that
Posted By: thermactor Re: Now they're making fake large Dealership Neons - Tue Mar 29 2011 01:12 AM
KZ, I agree. It's forgery, just like signing another artist's name on a painting. For decorating purposes, there is no need for it. There's only one conclusion that I can draw as to why it was done.

As for the welds, sure, they look awful. But what if they get someone who can weld better next time?

Next time I buy a nice, expensive porcelain sign, perhaps I should ask the seller "I'm just going to spray this paint stripper on it. If it's legit like you say, then there's nothing to worry about, right?? Riiiight?"
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Now they're making fake large Dealership Neons - Tue Mar 29 2011 01:24 AM
Originally Posted By: thermactor

Next time I buy a nice, expensive porcelain sign, perhaps I should ask the seller "I'm just going to spray this paint stripper on it. If it's legit like you say, then there's nothing to worry about, right?? Riiiight?"

That's a Great idea, We can all walk around with little spray bottles of stripper, spray all the suspect signs and stand back and watch them "melt"
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Now they're making fake large Dealership Neons - Tue Mar 29 2011 06:27 PM
another?different seller,but sure looks close http://cgi.ebay.com/Vertical-Chevrolet-N...=item19c3d7a008
Yes a different seller, but both are Located in North Carolina.

They both are NOT passing these off as Porcelain, so why the need for using paint remover as a test? I should think a seasoned collector could tell the difference bewteen what's old & heavy and what's new & porcelain-like!
Posted By: Miken Re: Now they're making fake large Dealership Neons - Wed Mar 30 2011 04:24 AM
What about the authenticity of items sold at some of these other auction sites? I'm still learning and I've been reading as many post in all the forums I can. The reason I ask is I saw a sign at one of these sites and it has the Walker name on it as well. Its a huge Ok used car dealer sign.
Posted By: Miken Re: Now they're making fake large Dealership Neons - Wed Mar 30 2011 04:25 AM
for got to say its a neon sign
Posted By: T-way Re: Now they're making fake large Dealership Neons - Wed Mar 30 2011 12:22 PM
DOC - it shouldn't even take a seasoned collector. Anybody looking to spend this kind of money shoud have taken some time to learn a bit about porcelain signage.

And if you look, the 'Walker' logo is obviously hand-painted - and with the additional lettering of the sign company the made this sign added to the 'logo'. See the 2nd photo in the listing.

The sellers of this particular sign are telling you everything you need to know about it. It is a reproduction, painted sign ready to be mounted to a can and already drilled for neon.

No one - I repeat, no one that is running this auction is trying to deceive anybody. And with the hand-painted logo (under the clear coat), it shouldn't be a problem 'on down the line'.

Buyers need to take some responsibility for their purchases by educating themselves BEFORE they go shopping.

Later . . .

Jim

© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk