Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: HI-OCTANE BULKO Gasoline - Fri Apr 01 2011 10:19 AM
Is this one real ?

Posted By: Gas stuff.com Re: BULKO Gasoline - Fri Apr 01 2011 10:52 AM
Questionable
Posted By: advertologist Re: BULKO Gasoline - Fri Apr 01 2011 11:53 AM
Back of mine is gray..looks like a good candidate to stay away from. Back looks like from our friend in Buenos Aires
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: BULKO Gasoline - Fri Apr 01 2011 02:30 PM
Every time I see a porcelain sign with a rusty back, red flags get raised... I can understand chips in the front from rocks or debris being thrown and/or blown in to it, and/or the screws being overtightened.

But when the back of the sign, the protected side has damage, I wonder? And if I see there is much more chipping and/or rust on it than the front, I just shove my money down farther in my pocket and start looking again.

But, that's just me.... maybe I'm missing out on some "good deals" but, knowing me, I would wonder every-time I looked at the sign;.... "Is it real"?
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: BULKO Gasoline - Fri Apr 01 2011 02:36 PM
I understand your frustration Bob, Black backs are NOT a tell tale sign of repro's. I have seen more repro signs with Gray backs. So that is one area that is very unclear and not a good guideline to go by. You really have to look at the WHOLE sign.
I am not talking about the sign in this post. just original signs in general do have White, Black, Gray, backsides
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: BULKO Gasoline - Fri Apr 01 2011 10:20 PM
I have been conversing with the seller of this sign. Asking questions about the back and the rust. The seller says it looks to him, that the back is painted metal, not porcelain covered..... He is not real knowledgeable about signs, as he is not a collector.
Posted By: HI-OCTANE Re: BULKO Gasoline - Fri Apr 01 2011 11:49 PM
Make you wonder why I am even in this hobby. Hard to tell what's real, and what's not. Seems like more and more repops than ever turning up than ever. even common stuff like Gulf pump plates.
Posted By: HI-OCTANE Re: BULKO Gasoline - Sat Apr 02 2011 01:17 AM
I believe you are right Advertologist. The backs are supposed to be gray on these. Also talked to another collector that had one and he said the same thing.
Too many red flags. And it's already up to over $500 dollars with days to go.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk