Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: K W FRITH Texaco 42 inch?? - Sat Apr 02 2011 04:24 PM
This must be one of the old repops? I'm not up on these but the other one that has all the bids has a lot different positioning of the center star in relation to the wording. I figured it must be a repop if noone was bidding at that price.
Were all the earlier repops done the same way?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180645484977&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

or ebay# 180645484977
Posted By: Gas stuff.com Re: Texaco 42 inch?? - Sat Apr 02 2011 05:36 PM
Did anyone ever reproduce this sign? I have never saw a reproduction of it personally.
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: Texaco 42 inch?? - Sat Apr 02 2011 07:29 PM
Kevin,

This sign looks dead on to me. They do Make the cheap repops of this sign + the filling station version also. The sign is sitting on a slight angle in the picture. Looks 100% real in my opinion.

The single sided one has a different position of the writing (the X And the A look connected in the double sided version where as in the single sided version there is a slight space between the letters).
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Texaco 42 inch?? - Sat Apr 02 2011 11:42 PM
Looks OK to me as well. As for a picture of the date. should be on the bottom in the red just above the black border.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Texaco 42 inch?? - Sun Apr 03 2011 02:14 AM
Hard to get bids when seller wants to start high instead of starting lower & putting a Reserve on it.
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Texaco 42 inch?? - Sun Apr 03 2011 10:32 AM
Just my opinion, but I think the reason there are no bids is because of the condition... very poor..and not a rare sign.
I have never heard of a 42" one being reproduced anyway..looks original to me,,, just poor condition..
Posted By: texaspelican Re: Texaco 42 inch?? - Sun Apr 03 2011 10:39 AM
Originally Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Looks OK to me as well. As for a picture of the date. should be on the bottom in the red just above the black border.

not all 42 in texaco signs were dated...gasoline/motor oil made in the 20's were not dated...only ones made in the 30's were.

this one on ebay was made in the 20's
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk