Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Fake Mobil "D" Sign on Ebay - Tue Jun 14 2011 07:51 PM
I think it was discussed on here before.

Mobil Sign
Posted By: Scott Baselt Re: Fake Mobil "D" Sign on Ebay - Wed Jun 15 2011 04:28 AM
turtle2403 is a known seller of fake signs.
Posted By: Lost Highway Re: Fake Mobil "D" Sign on Ebay - Wed Jun 15 2011 05:20 AM
sucks because its a good looking sign. looks like the gargoyle was stamped on later? this sign is gonna go sky high in price
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: Fake Mobil "D" Sign on Ebay - Wed Jun 15 2011 02:37 PM
Writing is sloppy. The word all should be italicized. There is what I think to be a trader mark stamp missing from the right side of the sign. The funny thing is this one is the same size as original and No rust on the back. Still looks like a poorly made sign compared to the original.
Posted By: fast66 Re: Fake Mobil "D" Sign on Ebay - Fri Jun 17 2011 04:48 AM
she normally gets 5-600 for those fakes - I have seen her sell at least 5 signs like this! used to write and tell her in the beginning but she don't give a damn.
br
Claes
Posted By: Fueluser Re: Fake Mobil "D" Sign on Ebay - Fri Jun 17 2011 09:58 AM
I feel sorry for the folks living in Indiana because when I see something from a seller from Indiana I just stay away because I am never sure whom the repro sellers are. John
Posted By: bustermonty Re: Fake Mobil "D" Sign on Ebay - Fri Jun 17 2011 12:41 PM
Another repoper giving Hoosiers a bad name!
Posted By: Miken Re: Fake Mobil "D" Sign on Ebay - Sat Jun 18 2011 04:38 AM
There is another one on live auctioneers website.
Posted By: signgod2112 Re: Fake Mobil "D" Sign on Ebay - Tue Jun 21 2011 04:50 PM
Here's one just like it at the June 25th Matthews auction. The word "ALL" should be Italec lettering. Correct me if I am wrong.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Posted By: fast66 Re: Fake Mobil "D" Sign on Ebay - Tue Jun 21 2011 05:55 PM
U are correct, and also "regd trade mark" below "IL" in Mobiloil.
There is a post in known reproductions showing both the real deal and the fake, that I posted some years ago.
br
Claes
Posted By: signgod2112 Re: Fake Mobil "D" Sign on Ebay - Tue Jun 21 2011 07:17 PM
I guess this one slipped past Dan. He will state if it is a repop or not.
Posted By: Lost Highway Re: Fake Mobil "D" Sign on Ebay - Thu Jun 23 2011 02:15 AM
and here is another on ebay 260806791641
Posted By: norton16h Re: Fake Mobil "D" Sign on Ebay - Thu Jun 23 2011 05:36 AM
how about this. Saw it at a local flea market.
looks unreal to me.

Attached picture mobiloil D.JPG
Posted By: norton16h Re: Fake Mobil "D" Sign on Ebay - Thu Jun 23 2011 05:37 AM
the words font is different from those on ebays and the D is quite done quite crudely as well.

cheers
e
Posted By: fast66 Re: Fake Mobil "D" Sign on Ebay - Thu Jun 23 2011 06:56 AM
Heres a picture of an original (Large British collection)
It has the italic "ALL" and two "reg'd trade mark" (below both the Gargoyle and Mobiloil) and it also differs in the area of the handlebar.
Originals seem to be rectangular and repros square.
Compare original to the one on ebay mentioned in earlier post above.

//Claes

Attached picture Mobiloil D A Chandler.jpg

Description: Repro Mobiloil D on ebay
Attached picture Mobiloil D REPRO.jpg
Posted By: norton16h Re: Fake Mobil "D" Sign on Ebay - Thu Jun 23 2011 08:59 AM
the letter font on my picture posted is different from the original but it does have the italic ALL.

- see the C, R and F which is diff from the original.
- the white spot on the bike is also different.
- and it does not have the double trade mark.

looks like is confirmed fake...good thing I walked away from the deal...
Posted By: norton16h Re: Fake Mobil "D" Sign on Ebay - Thu Jun 23 2011 11:42 AM
Is this good eBay Item number: 260806830318
Posted By: THERMOMAN Re: Fake Mobil "D" Sign on Ebay - Thu Jun 23 2011 03:14 PM
Looks like someone squeezed the image to fit it the square. I learned this from gulfiends posts!! It's what makes this site so great.
Posted By: fast66 Re: Fake Mobil "D" Sign on Ebay - Thu Jun 23 2011 08:05 PM
IMHO - NO
Posted By: djhubba Re: Fake Mobil "D" Sign on Ebay - Thu Jul 25 2013 05:29 PM
I bought this exact sign on eBay..I must confess..the italic "ALL" fooled me..but I didn't pay the price a real one would fetch, but probably paid a lot more than I should have. Oh well..I do like the sign and it looks heavy duty with shelving etc. I do have a few repop porcelain signs in my collection of rare signs that I couldn't afford otherwise..so this is no different I guess..I will enjoy it anyway. smile
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Fake Mobil "D" Sign on Ebay - Thu Jul 25 2013 06:15 PM
Great thread-I liked the sign; the bike and gargoyle on one sign-great stuff. But there were way too many of them out there to be real, so I stayed away. Turns out I was right without knowing all the reasons. Thanks all for the education.
fred
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk