Oldgas.com Home
was this one legit for $588?
ebay #200760186630

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sign is the Real McCoy.. cool
how was it used? truck?, pump?
The paint at the bottom part of the shield doesn't even look straight. It looks legit but I wouldn't have bought it.
what about this 1 for $119?
140733444499 check out desc :
Hello
You are looking at a newer Mobil Pegasus porcelain gas pump plate/sign or possibly a tank or delivery truck sign...I do not know the age of this sign...but it is NOT an antique...it was attached to something at some point...I picked it up at a recent estate sale here in PA.
there are chips in the porcelain so view pics carefully...the sign is 12"x12" and weighs 2 1/2lbs. thanks for looking and ask any questions you may have.
I wouldn't have bought either one but I'm cautious like that, my gut feeling is not so good on them. Lower points and overall shape does not look right to me, as well as the sloppy blue border and white lining on Pegasus is lacking some of the details on my original plates. I know original versions exist like this, but I'd like to see Richard's shown for comparison. But I'm not an expert, just a cautious buyer! smile
Darin
Posted By: st.rod Re: Mobil pump plate just the Pegasus and nothing else - Thu May 24 2012 01:31 AM
Hmmm, why no grommets
Posted By: Pegasus Re: Mobil pump plate just the Pegasus and nothing else - Thu May 24 2012 03:13 AM
Here's mine for comparison..............

I'd say the $588 is a fake. The holes aren't big enough for grommets, the blue border looks sloppy at the bottom and the detail lines in the horses wings are atrocious.
Heres the $588

heres the 119 with "not an antique" in desc, no grommets as well

emailed winning bidder on the 588. model & directed him to this link.. frown
It's interesting that the two repros have the same sloppy area on the lower border...obviously being made by the same person more than likely. Looks like the "not an antique" plate had a little extra beating to make it look older, classic tactics as we all know. Surprised the seller listed it accordingly, as they could have played dumb for sure.
Darin
At least now he can see that even some of the experts can be wrong about the knowlege they freely offer on topics like this.
and yet another for $189.99 200780142928
same seller sold the one for $588
"not sure of the age".
same bump in the middle of the bottom blue border
and yet another same seller for $224 200769581971
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk