Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: jwood7 AC Flange Sign - Fri Dec 28 2012 02:21 AM
I have come across this AC Sparky Flange. I have been told that this sign is reproduced and faked quite a bit so I wanted to get others opinions on it.

It seems to measure to what the one that sold for 2,000 measured at Mathews Auctions and it is stamped. The measurement is 15x10.75 inches. I've tried to do prior research on this sign, and from it I do believe that this is a real sign, but I would like to hear opinions because it is so highly reproduced/faked.

Attached picture AC SparkPlug.jpg
Attached picture ac sparkplug2.jpg
Attached picture ac sparkplug3.jpg
Posted By: Mike & Deb Re: AC Flange Sign - Sat Mar 02 2013 02:07 PM
Stumbled across this post and I always try to be able to tell fakes from originals so I began to search. Your sign appears to be authentic. If you will go to ebay #400416085019, it is a reissue. It does not have the markings your sign has. Also the blue is a lighter blue where the originals are more black. I am also going to post something I use as a good guide on knowing fakes.

Other than knowing a specific maker's name on an item is as false as the item it is printed on, another quick way to identify contemporary printed metal advertising signs as new is to examine them for the method of printing used. If a modern photo reproduction printing process has been used to make an item the familiar honeycomb-like dots from which such a process creates images will be present and can be seen for certain when viewed under magnification. The modern printing pattern of dots may often be seen with the naked eye, but use a loupe or similar magnification tool to check a metal advertising sign for them if you are uncertain. Older methods of printing that were generally in use at the time original old advertising signs were made won't display a halftone dot pattern like modern prints. When we go to swap meets are a buying trip we carry a jewelry loop with us. Reissues that are painted when viewed under a strong loop will show honey one dots are better known as matrix dots. Try it on a reissue and you can see. This however will not work on the porcelain reissues.
Mike and Debbie
Posted By: slipperpicker Re: AC Flange Sign - Thu Mar 21 2013 10:57 AM
Thanks for the information will be handy in the future .
Posted By: jwood7 Re: AC Flange Sign - Thu Mar 21 2013 01:18 PM
Yes thanks a lot I did not notice that someone had answered this until. This was great information and I will remember it for the future.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk