Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Bob Richards 'Ol Ray is at it again.... - Mon Jun 24 2013 09:16 PM
Now treasureray, is calling his cr*p (my opinion) "re-issues"...

400516083713: "This is a 16" x 22" diecut "high gloss" sign for Zephyr Motor Oil and Gas."

"New reissue 2- sided heavy (weighs about 7 lbs) steel sign with a thick gloss that looks, and feels like a porcelain enamel finish! Only a very few made..in the USA!!"
Posted By: advertologist Re: 'Ol Ray is at it again.... - Mon Jun 24 2013 09:40 PM
was there ever an original Zephyr flange produced?.. cool
Posted By: Gas stuff.com Re: 'Ol Ray is at it again.... - Mon Jun 24 2013 09:44 PM
Only a very few made= alot
Posted By: advertologist Re: 'Ol Ray is at it again.... - Mon Jun 24 2013 09:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
Only a very few made..in the USA!!"

must of cost too much here to produce,
so production moved to Argentina & India.. cool
Posted By: eshaver Re: 'Ol Ray is at it again.... - Mon Jun 24 2013 10:23 PM

400516083713: "This is a 16" x 22" diecut "high gloss" sign for Zephyr Motor Oil and Gas."

"New reissue 2- sided heavy (weighs about 7 lbs) steel sign with a thick gloss that looks, and feels like a porcelain enamel finish! Only a very few made..in the USA!!"

HEY BOB, uh they ARE RE-ISSUES ! Ray hiss self re issues them..................... by the hundreds !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ed Shaver
Posted By: JimT Re: 'Ol Ray is at it again.... - Mon Jun 24 2013 11:15 PM
These are being reproduced also. I believe there was an old original version of these.

Attached picture $T2eC16h,!)cE9s4PvnR+BR,1rTOO)w~~60_3.JPG
Posted By: really Re: 'Ol Ray is at it again.... - Tue Jun 25 2013 12:42 PM
He's been calling this stuff "re-issue" for over a year....and when I look at his completed auctions, it always blows me alway to see what people are willing to pay for signs they know are brand new??
Posted By: Jerry Westfield Re: 'Ol Ray is at it again.... - Tue Jun 25 2013 01:15 PM

Bob, Opinions are like you know what. Fact is, he calls these re-issue signs "NEW". If someone gets hood winked by his wording, they just can't read. People not reading is a real problem with most eBay buyers. These signs are not for me. I do not think the guy is getting rich on these signs, most of what I could see in his completed auctions bring less than a hundred bucks. Some of these signs were at Columbus last week, and they were being sold for what they are. I did not buy any, but I did handle one and I would have to say they were made nice. What is your real point?
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: 'Ol Ray is at it again.... - Tue Jun 25 2013 03:28 PM
Jerry, a good portion of Ray's items are fakes and fantasy. NONE of them are marked as such....

That is my point... A point that most everyone actually in the Hobby, observed immediately after I posted...

Since treasureray did not issue Zephyr Oil signs originally. I don't believe it is possible for him to "re-issue" signs now...
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: 'Ol Ray is at it again.... - Tue Jun 25 2013 03:59 PM
His point is that the repro stuff is getting passed off as original. So much of this is going on that the new people do not know what is what. Not everyone goes to sign school to learn for a couple of years before they buy. These are older members who know or seem to know what is original and what is not to protect other people members or not from making a mistake. More or less protecting investments on original items also.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: 'Ol Ray is at it again.... - Tue Jun 25 2013 04:16 PM
To me and everyone else his point is very clear. His point is treasureray is a crook who passes off repro/fantasy items as originals all the time. Crooks like him are ripping off people and hurting this hobby.

What is your point?
Posted By: Jerry Westfield Re: 'Ol Ray is at it again.... - Tue Jun 25 2013 04:16 PM
My 12 year old son knew these signs were not original. I do not want to cause any embarrassment to any veteran member/collector, but you got to be joking if you think this stuff could ever be passed off as original. Let's get back on track, we have too many sellers passing fakes off as original.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: 'Ol Ray is at it again.... - Tue Jun 25 2013 06:21 PM
Jerry, trying to insult me... Doesn't change the fact, that treasureray sells "unmarked fake items"...

As to the knowledge you and your 12 year old son have.... Well, from what I've seen and read... it isn't much...

Every day "fake" signage; whether produced here in the States, in Argentina, Mexico, India, Bangladesh, China, Ukraine or ???? Are being advertised as "original items" on Ebay, CL, in local Newspaper, on bulletin boards, in businesses and elsewhere...

As to: "but you got to be joking if you think this stuff could ever be passed off as original." Statements like that prove to those in the Hobby, that you have no time in it! Every and I do mean every Collector who has anytime in the Hobby has stories about the fakes they have run across in the homes of "New and Non-Collectors"...

If you go back into the archives here on Oldgas, you will see threads were a "New Member" or Non-Member has asked about a "fake" they have acquired... An item that an Experienced Collector wouldn't look once at. For the novice or non-collector, it "very well could be, a Buy of a Lifetime"... Until they find out they were "taken"...

And it can happen and does happen to those with Experience in the Hobby, also. Thankfully most times there is a solution that works out in the Hobbyist's favor... But, not always...

I'm not sure why you came to Oldgas? I don't believe you are a Collector. You don't participate in any discussions unless they are about a Seller selling and/or advertising fakes... (I went back and read your posts, to make sure I was correct in my assumption)...

You and your posts, remind me of treasureray and lacie51 when they came to Oldgas....
Posted By: Jerry Westfield Re: 'Ol Ray is at it again.... - Tue Jun 25 2013 06:49 PM
Jack, that is so funny. My name is Jerry, and I may not a big mouth like you, but I have been around for way longer than you think. I find most of your post to be nothing more than an effort to brag about how much you think you know. I have been collecting signs for 20+ years. Yes, I know, you have 5X more knowledge than I have, I am OK with that.

My 12 year old son has been following me around collecting signs for the last two years. He must be a fast learner, as he had no question about the age on most of the signs in question.

I think I will join the club who have blocked your post!
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: 'Ol Ray is at it again.... - Tue Jun 25 2013 07:23 PM
If you block me, you won't be the first... LOL

And where did I call you Jack?

Strange that in your profile, there is nothing about collecting signs... You do have "Hobbies: Gas Pumps"....

Everyone who reads our comments will decide for themselves if the info I put forth on this subject, is information they wanted to know? And that is what this Forum is all about, IMO...
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: 'Ol Ray is at it again.... - Tue Jun 25 2013 08:16 PM
...I ran into a fellow Oldgasser 10 minutes after I got to the Columbus show...a guy has been in the hobby for years...I made a joke about repros, and he told me that he had already been hoodwinked twice by signs that he thought were originals...luckily, he got his money back...

...the point is: whether or not a 12-year-old child is immune to the efforts of these counterfeiters, not everyone is...and the only reason these are not dated or marked as fakes, is that to do so would limit their sale as original signs...

...'sunlight is the best disinfectant'...posting about treasure ray's junk, and the other hucksters on eBay and at the shows, is the only recourse we have to prevent people getting ripped off...
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: 'Ol Ray is at it again.... - Tue Jun 25 2013 09:00 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong. But the term reissue means that a company released its product advertisement patent to someone to once again produce this sign. I don't think that is the case with these signs. Which to me is false advertisement. Just another effort to deceive,and the statement of the limit run means till they make another run. I have been watching some firestone fakes for several years and the limited run never seems to run out.
The sad part is the amount of product that these guys move through EBAY makes it very one sided when you report these guys.
Seems to fall on deaf ears.
Posted By: Jerry Westfield Re: 'Ol Ray is at it again.... - Tue Jun 25 2013 09:10 PM
Bob and others, any sign listed as a reissue or whatever under the reproduction category is enough info for me. What about Vics 66 and his 12” porcelain signs that everyone sells as old? These are sold and then aged and sold for hundreds of dollars.

Since your talking profiles, I see you own a repair shop in Oregon called R & R Motor Co. Just curious who the other R stands for?
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: 'Ol Ray is at it again.... - Tue Jun 25 2013 09:42 PM
No, I don't... You have me confused with someone else. I live in WA State...

I am a disabled retiree. Before I was forced to retire, I ran one of the largest Electrical Contracting Firms on the West Coast. I have been in the Hobby for over 50 years... There are images all over the 'net; of portions of my Tide Water/Associated Collection... I have always been "upfront" about "my pedigree" in the Hobby... How I started, why I started, those who I learned from, the mistakes I've made... etc... I've never had the urge to "hide anything in my life"; warts and all... I've been in War, I've been in jail, I've been Married and I am divorced... I have children, that I've not seen in a number of years and I am at times a "royal pain in the a$$"....

I am damn proud to be a "Member of this Community" and it is a Community... When I started in the Hobby, there were less than 100 Collectors in the whole of the US and Canada. Now there are tens of thousands of Collectors and they stretch around the Globe...

Oh as to Vic's, GPH, Ande Rooney and others... THEIR SIGNS ARE MARKED!!!! AS ARE THEIR GLOBES!!!!! A GIANT DIFFERENCE from what treasureray sells!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Jerry Westfield Re: 'Ol Ray is at it again.... - Tue Jun 25 2013 11:17 PM
Bob, you are wrong. Are we talking about the same Vics 66? I bought 7 pump plates from the website over a month ago and they were not marked or dated? The Golden Shell and Regular Shell plate he sells is the same one that 2dd2 mentioned all fake rusted a few days ago and had removed. The Ande Rooney signs I have seen have a paper label on the back which is easily removed. The glossy flange sign I saw in Columbus was marked on the edge. Marking signs isn't the answer as listing them as what they are is the answer. And at least he was selling them as new-reissue for what they are. The crooks don't say they are repo or reissue or anything and sell them as old.

Someone decorating a restaurant or garage may not want to spend or have hundreds of dollars to buy junky ole rusted up signs.LOL..
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk