Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: wocopep Michigan Globe - Sun Feb 02 2014 02:03 AM
This globe was on ebay for about 30 minutes and was ended early. Didnt see it on the globe cd. Any info?

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: Gas globe guy Re: Michigan Globe - Sun Feb 02 2014 02:04 AM
I like it!! That is awesome!!!
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Michigan Globe - Sun Feb 02 2014 02:16 AM
Wow! Interesting! Very cool!!
Posted By: Carolinatraveler Re: Michigan Globe - Sun Feb 02 2014 03:44 AM
Its not in the book because it is not real. A 1970s-80s era fantasy piece.

Wayne Henderson
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Michigan Globe - Sun Feb 02 2014 03:57 AM
Bet that just took the Heat out of Many Banty Roosters!
Posted By: wocopep Re: Michigan Globe - Sun Feb 02 2014 05:14 AM
I thought the same thing too Wayne. If you look at it long enough, you can pick out a font problem with the words gas and oil. They shouldn't even be there. Those words look out of place for the globe.
Posted By: Dave Rowlison Re: Michigan Globe - Sun Feb 02 2014 06:17 AM
Another verison using the Bay (Dow) logo that was at a local antique show.
I had to ask Jason who said the same thing Wayne did.
Good thing I collect maps !

Dave

Attached picture Central_Michigan_Petroleum-Bay_fansty.jpg
Posted By: henlovestoys Re: Michigan Globe - Sun Feb 02 2014 07:24 AM
At any rate ... It is a beautiful FANTASY piece!

I believe FANTASY items are part of this great hobby!

Hen
Posted By: JW32 Re: Michigan Globe - Sun Feb 02 2014 01:28 PM
I bought this globe, took a chance on it, found out it is a fantasy globe, as soon as I get it, it will be for sale again... & listed as a fantasy globe

Jerry 309-242-0008
Posted By: tomzcollectiblez Re: Michigan Globe - Sun Feb 02 2014 01:41 PM
I seen the globe for sale in michigan! But passed cause its a repo!
Posted By: wocopep Re: Michigan Globe - Sun Feb 02 2014 01:45 PM
Two versions of a fantasy globe? Who'd a thunk it.
Posted By: tomzcollectiblez Re: Michigan Globe - Sun Feb 02 2014 02:06 PM
I was told even as a fantasy globe it was still worth 500-750...
Hope you didnt pay more than that thinking it's real? LOL
I just dont want any part of repo's or fantasy items!
So why did you pull it from ebay? Were you calling it original?
Posted By: JW32 Re: Michigan Globe - Sun Feb 02 2014 03:10 PM
I bought the globe on craigslist, not the one who had it on e-bay, wrong person Tommy....
Posted By: tomzcollectiblez Re: Michigan Globe - Sun Feb 02 2014 03:37 PM
Looks like the seller thought it was original?
Globe ended jan 24th on ebay

Someone either offered the seller to end auction, OR he ended it and put it on craigslist...
So did you buy it off craigslist AS AN ORIGINAL JERRY???
Posted By: JW32 Re: Michigan Globe - Sun Feb 02 2014 03:49 PM
I took a chance on it thinking it might be, it wasn't the sellers fault he said he was unsure if it was real. I should have called Scott, oh well win some, lose some...

Jerry
Posted By: tomzcollectiblez Re: Michigan Globe - Sun Feb 02 2014 03:51 PM
We've ALL been there! Good Luck with it...Its still a killer globe!
Posted By: JW32 Re: Michigan Globe - Sun Feb 02 2014 03:53 PM
Thanks...
Posted By: HoneyBearFarm Re: Michigan Globe - Sun Feb 02 2014 04:13 PM
That globe, or another like it, was at Hershey two years ago. Same way, couldn't find it on globe CD, so decided to pass.
Posted By: oillease55 Re: Michigan Globe - Sun Feb 02 2014 09:09 PM
Another problem piece of trash. Ron Lease-Collector. ;;;;;;;;;
Posted By: TC Re: Michigan Globe - Sun Feb 02 2014 09:30 PM
Looks like the tiger was copied from the Bengal green gas globe.
Posted By: olddutchgas Re: Michigan Globe - Sun Feb 02 2014 11:23 PM
It was indeed copied from the Bengal Green globe. I knew the guy that had them made nearly 40 years ago. Reportedly he was comissioned by Bay Oil to make them for them. I found that out later after he had sold me a set as old originals. They were made in Canada and the curve of the lense is different from original US 1920s/30s lenses.

This was long before any books were out there or CDs had even been invented yet. The guy preyed on new collectors and like a few other bad apples that have come and gone in the hobby he dis-appeared after a few years. Our hobby is to small to be dis-honest and to not be a man of your word.

That said, I did enjoy it for a number of years, the graphics are incredible, and I sold it last year and actualy broke even on it!

There were only a few sets made and you can not just order one up from any of the repo globe manufacturers. I ran into a pump guy from Michigan at one of the shows and he wanted one to do a pump up. He knew the story behind the globe and I told him that if I could get my money out ($600) he could have it. He was happy to get it and I was happy to be rid of it.

There was one of these floating around at Antique Shows in Michigan a year or two back and Aaron and I recieved several calls on it. If you are not sure about a globe and especialy if it seems to good be true contact me or some other knowledgeable colletor, I hate to see anyone get stuck.

Good luck on the hunt and be careful out there!

Lonnie Hop
Posted By: olddutchgas Re: Michigan Globe - Sun Feb 02 2014 11:33 PM
I have never seen one for sale in the after market but reportedly there were also a few sets made in the 13 1/2" size for glass.

Lonnie Hop
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Michigan Globe - Mon Feb 03 2014 05:07 AM
To quote a post up above "I should have called Scott." If Scott is anything like me, I receive at least one call per day and two emails per day wanting me to either identify/value/etc. something that they found in their grandfather's garage.

Speaking for myself, I really get tired of all the phone calls. I wrote the Gas Pump book with the hope that the phone calls would stop, but actually they increased and almost 100% of them are from people who don't want to purchase my book, they just want free information.

If you are into gas pumps buy my ID book, if you need pump restoration information buy Scott/Wayne's books, and if you are into globes again buy Scott/Wayne's CD. The cost of any of these items is much less than what you might pay for a repro whatever.

Just venting again, and every time I do this I state: Before the purchase, KNOWLEDGE, KNOWLEDGE, KNOWLEDGE.

Jack Sim
Posted By: JW32 Re: Michigan Globe - Fri Feb 07 2014 09:19 PM
Mr. Sim, I would like to thank you for your advice, but I do have all of Scott's books & the cd, the globe mentioned here was not in any of them. I took a chance on the globe without contacting the best in the business, who has always been more than helpful & very polite. I'm very sorry that not everyone has the knowledge you have, but you never will have to worry about a phone call from me , I sure would not to ruin your day. I also want to say Thank you to Lonnie hop for the above post to contact him if anyone has a ? about a globe, goes to show many Great people are out there to help us still learning, I owe a big Thanks to a many on here, Scott, Lonnie, Randy, Dan Matthews & many more that helped me along the way.

Thanks to all of you, Jerry Wheeler
Posted By: s932 Re: Michigan Globe - Sat Feb 08 2014 12:19 AM
I look at this whole thing differently than others I guess. I do not know jerry personally but I have seen him at auctions and shows he is not new to this hobby and he got burned by a non marked fantasy globe. If it happened to him it can happen to any of us. These unmarked repop globes and signs are hurting this hobby and we all in my opinion have to help each other no matter if we like each other or not to get this stuff exposed. I will also say when all the shows and hype of being a picker go away guys like Jerry, Jack, Lonnie, Aaron, DB myself and others will still be here. We are a small market do we really want to burn bridges with each other because we are not willing to part with a little info. If you truly do not want to help then the fun is gone and why be a part of this fun hobby.
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Michigan Globe - Sat Feb 08 2014 02:43 AM
Helping one another does not cost much.Just a little time and effort on ones part to help make this hobby the best it can be.So far I have had nothing but great responses to questions that I have asked & learned so much by visiting this site several times each day .Face it most of us are in it for the joy of collecting and finding that next bargain waiting for us just around the corner.
There is only one person that is right all the time & We haven't met him yet !
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk