Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Markymark63 You guys are scaring me.....help with Argentina - Sat May 03 2014 05:06 AM
Ok, so I am fairly new to this hobby and I read the previous message about repops out of Argentina. Has anyone heard of this seller and what about this sign I purchased? Thanks guys...

Or this one?

if your not happy:.. cool

The buyer has 14 days to return the item (the buyer pays shipping fees). The item will be refunded.
Fair enough, but he sold a similar one with the same original invoice listed, be it for a lot of scrap. Here is the other one and they do look very different. Just trying to be cautious and I would not send it back to Argentina as shipping would kill me.

not all is lost here, you've learned you need too do your homework- as long as you've learned from a mistake where you won't repeat it you'll be alright cool ..
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: You guys are scaring me.....help with Argentina - Sat May 03 2014 10:24 AM
ebay will take care of shipping if they were advertised as original and are repros.
Thanks for all your comments guys. So does anyone have an opinion on authenticity? Thanks....
Im not sure on that sign....But where it is from...I would say fake...A very poor one at that...Tell all the collectors in your area to check here on oldgas or become members... The hobbies wealth of info is here...Hands down.
Posted By: Mike M. Re: You guys are scaring me.....help with Argentina - Sat May 03 2014 08:15 PM
Fake from my view. I have never seen an original with that poor layout of porcelain.
Posted By: Highway66 Re: You guys are scaring me.....help with Argentina - Sun May 04 2014 06:14 PM
Of course it's totally fake, did you read the description of the ad??
Can you elaborate for me what you saw in the ad that tells you it's fake? I am new and learning this hobby.
Invoice is a BIG red flag.. Plus the Shell plate is just horrible. Scrap is by the ton not the piece.
Well guys, I have the 2 pieces I got from him and in my limited humble opinion, they are real. He talks about them being scrapped from a quality perspective and I believe it. they are not perfect, but they are heavy, and rusted where they should be. One day I will run across aan expert like you guys locally and get their opinion. Cheers.....
Don't kid yourself into believing something that is not real...
Both signs are fake !
Posted By: 1937 GMC Re: You guys are scaring me.....help with Argentina - Sat May 24 2014 12:06 PM
If it comes from India or Argentina the possibiity that it is a repop and fake is 99.9%; left the .1% because never say never. The signs you asked about in this post and the others fall into the 99.9%. Usually there is a story about finding a sign in my grandfathers shed etc... they are getting creative now in India and Argentina with these outlandish stories and go to great lengths to try to convince you it is real; I have cut and pasted the section that screams with "red flags"

There are many signs that were discarded and sent to foundry for being badly printed, failed or production errors or for not having passed any quality control. Even, for some reason unknown to us,[there are differences between signs of the same model.]

We publish as many photos as possible so that you can see the details of the signs; but [can not guarantee to be identical to any other you have seen or have in your possession.]

Many of the signs are chipped and rust.
we can guarantee and supply the following information:

The kind and thickness of metal. (gauge)
Exact measurements.
Exact weight.
The authenticity of enameled. [ Sure they can they made the sign LOL ]
and the possibility of return.
Posted By: ddkinsey Re: You guys are scaring me.....help with Argentina - Sat May 24 2014 03:16 PM
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Member asks then doesn't believe the experts. Lol frustrating.
Has anyone ever seen a real shamrock this size or shape ? I have only seen rectangles. The whole thing is so phony it makes me wonder if the member is legit.
So what is your definition of legit? I have a new interest in a different hobby, I have worked in the industry since 1981, I am able to fog a mirror, so in my opinion I am legit, lol. My problem is I trust people and I always get burned. I do trust you experts, but who wants to admit they had a few bad brain farts? I don't want to upset you guys, so I will continue to learn and read and not ask dumb questions. I appreciate all the input. Thank you.
Posted By: slingshot Re: You guys are scaring me.....help with Argentina - Sat Jun 07 2014 03:37 AM
FAKE! No doubt...
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk