Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: CLA Real or repro? 25 inch Sinclair Aircraft sign - Sat Jun 07 2014 12:21 AM
Included at the end of this text is a link to a photo of a Sinclair Aircraft sign that I've had hanging on my wall for a while. I have never known whether it was original or a repro. I'm asking for opinions on that question. It has all the indications of age, but I'm not an expert, and age can be faked. It is painted metal and weighs about 6.5 pounds. It is 25.5 inches diameter. The back appears to have been white originally, but is now darker and dirtier looking. The attached photo was taken with my cell phone. I can take it off the wall to shoot the back and also use a better camera if better pics are necessary.

Thank you
[img:center]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B53RodyxqJ-TVm5mZ18tUEVPMHc/edit?usp=sharing[/img]
IMO- aftermarket... cool
Posted By: wocopep Re: Real or repro? 25 inch Sinclair Aircraft sign - Sat Jun 07 2014 12:51 AM
Mid to late 90's reproduction
Posted By: CLA Re: Real or repro? 25 inch Sinclair Aircraft sign - Sat Jun 07 2014 12:39 PM
Any idea on where it originated? USA? Overseas? Did these exist as originals in this exact size or were they some other size? I know Desperate, AAA, and Andy Rooney were/are big repro sign makers, but I don't recall that they made anything this big or this heavy. Those 3 also marked their stuff with their names and didn't use paint. This one appears painted and aged.

I'm just trying to better understand what I have. My cost was minimal and it has a decent look, so I'm not unhappy with the purchase, but I've had a few people inquire if it was for sale, and I'd like to be able to give them good information and establish a fair price if I decide to sell it.
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Real or repro? 25 inch Sinclair Aircraft sign - Sat Jun 07 2014 06:14 PM
Steve Jelf I believe made these, should be stamped on the back.

found this link, don't know if he is still in business
http://www.ricksvintagepicks.com/store/p27/Steve_Jelf_Vintage_Galvanized_NBC_Microphone_Sign.html
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: Real or repro? 25 inch Sinclair Aircraft sign - Sat Jun 07 2014 08:37 PM
I know they made 6' and 4' Aircrafts. I haven't seen a 2' one ever before. Hopefully Wes or Mark can chime in.
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Real or repro? 25 inch Sinclair Aircraft sign - Sat Jun 07 2014 09:05 PM
I know of an original small Sinclair Aircraft sign that is about 24 inches. It is the red version. I never saw a six foot Sinclair Aircraft.
Posted By: Don Beaver Re: Real or repro? 25 inch Sinclair Aircraft sign - Sat Jun 07 2014 10:08 PM
Yes these are reproductions MOST were marked on the back side down low in the middle with an ink stamped date. Steve Jelf did start the business of the 25.5" repo signs they were all made in Arkansas Kansas Steve took on an investor (the owner of Husky Liners) and later sold the business to the investor who then ran the business for awhile but did not put much time and effort into it so sales fell off to nothing. After it almost went away they called and offered it to us but the price was 3 times what the business was worth. Husky Liners sold it to another company in Winfield KS They are still making the signs today
http://www.signpast.com/Sinclair_Aircraft_p/104.htm
Posted By: CLA Re: Real or repro? 25 inch Sinclair Aircraft sign - Sun Jun 08 2014 12:41 AM
There is no stamp mark to indicate a maker on the back
Posted By: CLA Re: Real or repro? 25 inch Sinclair Aircraft sign - Sun Jun 08 2014 12:47 AM
There is what looks like a very old and faded magic marker / sharpie hand written number or code at the very bottom that straddles the bottom hole. To the left of the hole it looks like a lower case b (as in BEE), or possibly it is a 6. There may also be a 2 next to it which would make it 2b or 26. The 2 may or may not be real as it is very faint and my eyes might be playing tricks on me. To the right of the hole is a handwritten number 15 (fifteen). Does this sound like a Jelf number or code?
Posted By: Don Beaver Re: Real or repro? 25 inch Sinclair Aircraft sign - Sun Jun 08 2014 01:04 AM
YES it is a Jelf Repo sign no question about it
Posted By: CLA Re: Real or repro? 25 inch Sinclair Aircraft sign - Sun Jun 08 2014 02:10 AM
Thank you for all the help. It is appreciated.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk