Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Sparky27 Several reproduction clocks listed on eBay - Thu Oct 30 2014 01:12 AM
Tonight a eBay member listed several clocks without disclosing the face was not fake or fantasy. They are

1960's Hurst Pam Clock - 191395118433
Wolf's Head Advertising Clock - 201205999027
1958 Vanderbilt Premium Tires - 201206026841
Auto Lite Sta Ful Battery Clock - 201206009705

The lister is asking for big $$$'s it's a shame
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Several reproduction clocks listed on eBay - Fri Oct 31 2014 02:14 PM
How are you absolutely positive they are repro clock's ? I know Woody makes clock faces with manufacture names and dates on them but the clock bodies look to be original,, please explain.. thanks..
ps. If anyone is to blame for repro clock faces with names and dates on them maybe it Woody's Clock's , Ohio.
Posted By: Sparky27 Re: Several reproduction clocks listed on eBay - Fri Oct 31 2014 03:41 PM
Yes I'm positive. I bought from this person before and all he does is put a new face in an old canister. The Lackner is too perfect and in the side view is perfectly smooth. Lackner had issues with the dark blue paint in that it flakes easily. I bought 3 before I got a decent one.

The Wolf's Head is an old diner clock that were black and white in design. they had advertising at the bottom and radio station call letter's at the top. His is too perfect in condition and is a fantasy. I myself made a custom one of these for my father. Easy to do.

The others are I perfect condition too be old. Plus in conversations with this seller he admitted that the faces were new but people who buy them appreciate the condition and saw value in it to substantiate his pricing. he was fairly arrogant about what he was doing and his mind felt fine and was his right to do it.

As for his Pam's they are perfect despite the age. In my collection I don't have a single Pam that has survived in perfect condition, they either yellow or flake.

Sorry to ramble but this guy is charging top dollar for fakes and that isn't right. I will say that the American Hammered Piston Rings Telechron he listed yesterday appears legit.
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Several reproduction clocks listed on eBay - Fri Oct 31 2014 04:15 PM
OK,,, I can see you know what your talking alright no problem there. But if your only problem is people pay to much for fakes isn't that their prerogative ? Everyone is on a different agenda, I bought( 3 new, fantasy ) signs at an auction last weekend and I'm sure some of the guys ( my friends) thought I was nuts.. but it was at an auction of a close friend of mine that had passed away and I wanted them just because he owned them and I was with him when he bought them, they have sentimental value to me.. I put them up in my garage with my car and to me they look great. Isn't that all that matters ? Or do you think the seller on the clocks on Ebay is not being honest with his description?
Posted By: Ken Horner Re: Several reproduction clocks listed on eBay - Fri Oct 31 2014 04:51 PM
When somebody buys a reproduction sign, clock, or whatever and they know it is a repro that is their choice, that is true. When somebody buys the same sign, clock, whatever under the pretense it is original then their getting ripped off no matter what they paid.
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Several reproduction clocks listed on eBay - Fri Oct 31 2014 06:24 PM
I couldn't agree more,, I didn't think that was the issue here, I was under the impression that ( Sparky27 )thought it was too much to pay for fake stuff ?
Posted By: Sparky27 Re: Several reproduction clocks listed on eBay - Fri Oct 31 2014 08:55 PM
My issue is the guy will not disclose the make up of the clock. He is deceiving people. So my issue is tell everybody it is a new face and then let the market determine what the proper price is. My guess is that they then go for around $300 if that. People should know what they are buying. I ended up reporting him and I doubt much will come of it but I needed to feel I did the right thing.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk