Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: fasteddie Newbie Question - Tue Dec 30 2014 01:50 AM
I am real new to this area of collecting and joined this site in part because I believe that a fool and his money are soon parted. I know when I am buying sports memorabilia certain independent authenticators (JSA, PSA/DNA) are well respected and trusted. Do authenticators like that exist in this area in the sense that if you see an eBay or auction items saying certified by X, that you know the item is good. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: bowserman Re: Newbie Question - Tue Dec 30 2014 01:57 AM
This should help answer your question. The best thing you can do is ask questions on here and educate yourself through books and research.

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?u...true#Post530657
Posted By: Highway66 Re: Newbie Question - Thu Jan 01 2015 10:22 PM
Nobody has established something like that. I'm sure it's coming, with the skyrocketing value of petroliana and amount of novice people getting burned. But will everyone on OG or a private collector's submit their item's for "appraisal and grading" probably not. Reading books and living here on OG will help from making a poor decision.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Newbie Question - Thu Jan 01 2015 10:41 PM
I remember asking this same thing in some sort of way 2 1/2 years ago when I first got in the hobby. The idea made so much sense to me. Still does. But after about a year in, and getting to know this site and a little about how this hobby ticks. I realized, it will never happen.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Newbie Question - Fri Jan 02 2015 03:42 AM
If someone tries to do something like that the motivation will be to better their bank account, not better the hobby.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk