Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Steve in New Mex Ford signs - Sun Mar 15 2015 12:56 AM
I followed the recent discussion about reproduction Ford Battery signs here on Primary Petroliana.
I thought many of the comments were helpful and germane.
I've been at this since the late 1960s long before anyone had a notion to reproduce advertising signs for novelties or for nefarious profit.
I did want to caution everyone that linked "O's", connected "R's", long "F's", fat "D's", and so forth are NOT the end all in judging the originality of Ford signs. There are many, many variations depending on who ordered the signs, where they were made, etc. I have many original Ford signs in my collection and there are differences in most of them. I also have a substantial collection of Model T and Model A sales literature and even those, most of which were ordered by the company for nationwide distribution, show some variations in the Ford trademark.
If you'll look at the "Ford" radiator stamping on a Model T and compare it with the enameled radiator badge on a Model A - even those are different. The only thing I am confident of is the top of the "F" got shorter over the years. The longer the older.

I do agree that no one should ever buy any signs from anyone in India! Period.

Here are some photos. I've had most of these signs for 35+ years.

Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Ford signs - Sun Mar 15 2015 11:54 PM
Nice collection!
Posted By: Steve in New Mex Re: Ford signs - Tue Mar 17 2015 01:38 AM
Thanks. That's a cool Valiant sign you've got.
Posted By: VEEDOL_AL1 Re: Ford signs - Wed Mar 18 2015 12:44 AM
great collection of Ford signs!!! thanks for your info concerning Ford signs...appreciate it..
ALAN
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk