Page 1 of 2 1 2
#609239 Sun Apr 19 2015 09:47 PM
W
wocopep Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
W
This week at DIXIE GAS was excellent. Except for the weather, everyone had a good time and sold well. On a different note, I was educated on a new twist that I couldnt just let go. Being there early to look around, I stopped to talk to a vendor who had just pulled in. He stated that he had an NOS sign in his trailer. Not wanting to miss out , I hung around until he opened up. Upon him bringing the sign to the back of the trailer,all I could do was stand there with my mouth wide open. In his hands was a TYDOL Aviation 48 inch with the plane. The only problem was that it was a hand painted sign on a new piece of metal. I smiled and asked him with a grin how he figured this was NOS. He looked at me with a serious eye and told me this was the first time it had been put out and had never been hung. I quickly replied back that this was a hand painted fake sign. He immediately told me that I didnt understand, that these signs were " Created Originals". So, I asked for an explanation. He stated that since an original existed of this sign, that a copy could be made and considered a created original. When I told him that was pure horse s..t he told me that in the hobby that this was an accepted term among collectors. I told him I hadnt been at this long enough then. His reply was if I had been at it very long, I would have heard it. I would like to hear from some of you guys to see if you have heard this term and if this is accepted. In over thirty years plus of collecting, I have never heard a story like this. This guy seemed to be sincere in what he was doing and had made a considerable investment in several signs that were clearly hand made reproductions. So, not to trash the guy, I will not talk about him. What I want to know is if what he was saying was ever heard before. If you were there, you would have seen his booth as he had several signs there, all but one of the large signs faked. Give me some input so I can try to make some sense of this.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
wocopep #609241 Sun Apr 19 2015 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If its NEW HAND PAINTED...Its FAKE...(N)ew (O)ld (S)tock = A ORIGINAL that's NEVER been used,hung,mounted etc..Just my opinion.

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I've only been in the hobby 3 years. And I only needed to be in the hobby 3 minutes to know, that in my books, you were correct in your first assessment. Pure Horse $hit.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Steven C. #609251 Mon Apr 20 2015 03:21 AM
N
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
N
Garbage. If it isnt an original, it isnt an original.

nam5072 #609253 Mon Apr 20 2015 03:34 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
He got me too, I hung around to see what he had that was NOS and was floored when he pulled out an Evinrude new painted sign. My response was the same as Wocopeps the worst part is the guy doesn't get it. Or maybe he doesn't want to get it. I walked away scratching my head

Please visit my website Gasstuff.com
wocopep #609254 Mon Apr 20 2015 03:37 AM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Sounds to me like it could be this guy from Cartersville Georgia.. He is new to OLDGAS and Facebook but not new to replicating old signage.. He got into a hornets nest on FB with a few guys and has block some of them on FB because he didn't like what some of the guys were saying about his newly painted signs ( copies ).. below is his first post on FB.. he sounds innocent but I have my doubts.. I'm sure he knows what he's doing,also attached is a picture of what he looks like..( taken off his FB page )
I am obviously new to this group. May I introduce myself...Tom Johnson, I reside in Cartersville, GA. and I'm an "old-time sign-painter", began hand-lettering in 1973 (42 years ago) before the age of computers. And, of course, I love old signs. A few years ago a friend asked me if I could hand-paint replicas of old signs, and I told him, yes, of course. That got me started, and I have been doing replicas for about 5 years now. Since I am getting up in age and am not well off financially, I replicate signs that I'd like to own, but cant afford, for myself as well. Shown in my pics are two recent ones I did to keep...The Coca-Cola is a very rare one, belongs to my friend who will not sell it, so I did my own (shown on the purple wall) it is dated 1935 and is in great condition, I replicated it down to the finest detail. Next, a Shell "shark-tooth" I USED to own, but sold...but made a tracing / pattern before I sold it...and, voila! Here's my hand-painted replica, on 14 ga. steel. I am very meticulous and take pride in what I do. I will post more pics of my work. (Lord, my computer takes FOREVER to post a pic! Took 20 minutes just to post these!)

It's only 3 hrs. from Cartersville GA to Sevierville TN

422340_394002630615278_8624676_n.jpg
Last edited by Wes Hague; Mon Apr 20 2015 03:50 AM.

Wes.......
Wes Hague #609258 Mon Apr 20 2015 03:58 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thats like having a NOS bumper for a 2015 Camaro. How many could you buy now versus 50 years from now new in the box? Some people need to understand what it takes to find real NOS pieces. Never mind the cost difference.

ABCTrip #609260 Mon Apr 20 2015 04:04 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
NOS defined

N-New Paint
O-Old
S-Sheet Metal

Maybe that is the formula. Guess we have it all wrong on here folks.
LOL

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
mcguffeyd1 #609261 Mon Apr 20 2015 04:13 AM
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Worst part is you wasted valuable time with him.

intagas #609262 Mon Apr 20 2015 04:40 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
NOS is a never been used old, original item.
A new hand painted copy of an original sign is a reproduction.

Trying to pass off a reproduction whether mass produced or hand painted is NOT accepted in the hobby.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Lastgas15 #609266 Mon Apr 20 2015 04:56 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's hilarious . Its only one thing not NOS, those signs are FFM ( fakes for money ) . Sad what this is becoming . Things never turn out well when people try to make a living off of what people do for a hobby . All one has to do is look at the muscle car world to see how this all turns out . I better head out to "year one muscle car parts " and buy all their parts now that they are all NOS .LOL wow what next .

Follow the Red Indian Trail
Wes Hague #609267 Mon Apr 20 2015 05:09 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Wes Hague
Sounds to me like it could be this guy from Cartersville Georgia.. He is new to OLDGAS and Facebook but not new to replicating old signage.. He got into a hornets nest on FB with a few guys and has block some of them on FB because he didn't like what some of the guys were saying about his newly painted signs ( copies ).. below is his first post on FB.. he sounds innocent but I have my doubts.. I'm sure he knows what he's doing,also attached is a picture of what he looks like..( taken off his FB page )
I am obviously new to this group. May I introduce myself...Tom Johnson, I reside in Cartersville, GA. and I'm an "old-time sign-painter", began hand-lettering in 1973 (42 years ago) before the age of computers. And, of course, I love old signs. A few years ago a friend asked me if I could hand-paint replicas of old signs, and I told him, yes, of course. That got me started, and I have been doing replicas for about 5 years now. Since I am getting up in age and am not well off financially, I replicate signs that I'd like to own, but cant afford, for myself as well. Shown in my pics are two recent ones I did to keep...The Coca-Cola is a very rare one, belongs to my friend who will not sell it, so I did my own (shown on the purple wall) it is dated 1935 and is in great condition, I replicated it down to the finest detail. Next, a Shell "shark-tooth" I USED to own, but sold...but made a tracing / pattern before I sold it...and, voila! Here's my hand-painted replica, on 14 ga. steel. I am very meticulous and take pride in what I do. I will post more pics of my work. (Lord, my computer takes FOREVER to post a pic! Took 20 minutes just to post these!)

It's only 3 hrs. from Cartersville GA to Sevierville TN

This is what's wrong with this hobby. I'm sick of hearing the "poor me" stories as an excuse for "collecting" reproductions. If you can't afford something stop whining about it and do something about it! Work overtime at your job, buy-sell-trade within the hobby to better your position. Don't use lack of money as an excuse.

A good friend of mine has built a very impressive globe collection in only 15 years by buying and selling globes and other collectibles. For many years his budget was only $20-some a week. He had the smarts and ambition to better his position in the hobby.

I presume the sign painter that replicated the very rare Coca-Cola sign down to the finest detail, also replicated the 1935 date. As far as I'm concerned that's just fraud.

Also note that the poor sign painter that can't afford originals apparently copied the Coca-Cola sign because it wasn't for sale. So which is it.....he copied it because he couldn't afford an original? Or he copied it because the original wasn't for sale?

If the guy wants to own reproductions so be it. He's not collecting. He's decorating.
If the guy wants to sell hand painted reproductions so be it. He shouldn't try to redefine what NOS means or use any other fraudulent selling practices.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

redindianguy #609268 Mon Apr 20 2015 05:11 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Should have said NPS, new painted sign not NOS I guess he did not know what the O stood for.

redindianguy #609269 Mon Apr 20 2015 05:13 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I agree that Dixie was a Hoot! I always enjoy Chip's show. Been doing it, twice a year, for over 15 years. Have not seen this type of issue at any other get together. This sounds like a marketing strategy? In the artist world, there are limited edition runs of original paintings. Although not cheap, they afford normal folks.....poorer people, like me...to get a copy and enjoy. I'm thinking that this guy really believes he is doing good? I did not see his stuff nor did I hear about this while at the show. Maybe there will come a day when he realizes the error of his ways? Did he sell anything of question? Paul www.severngaspumps.com

redindianguy #609270 Mon Apr 20 2015 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: redindianguy
That's hilarious . Its only one thing not NOS, those signs are FFM ( fakes for money ) . Sad what this is becoming . Things never turn out well when people try to make a living off of what people do for a hobby . All one has to do is look at the muscle car world to see how this all turns out . I better head out to "year one muscle car parts " and buy all their parts now that they are all NOS .LOL wow what next .

Well said Dave.
Fakes For Money should replace replace "reproduction" and "aftermarket" terms in the hobby.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved