Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#611122 Fri May 01 2015 10:44 AM
LSx Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
So im picking up a Wayne 615 to put by my 26 Ford outside. Im wanting to pour a small pad for it but with studs in the concrete for when I set it on the pad I can bolt it down. What are some ideas you all have for a jig to set it up? Iv never poured a concrete pad before and im sure I can do that, just getting bolts/studs in the concrete and in the correct places is my question I guess. But like I said, I figured a jig of some sort might be it?

Or, just drill holes in the concrete and bolt it down afterwards?

-Brian

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I bolted my pump down with concrete anchors. I recently installed a railroad crossing signal I fabricated and because of it's height and weight I dug a 48" deep foundation, stubbed in conduit for electric, welded a threaded rod cage and set it in to the concrete when I poured it (see pics). You can do a much smaller version of this by bolting threaded rods to the bottom of your pump and making a pattern from plywood for alignment. Use 2" x 6" wood studs and make a frame (technically form). Lay down some stone and steel mesh then mix and pour your concrete. Place the wooden pattern (with the threaded rods bolted to it) into it. Once it's dry you can remove the 2" x 6" framing and the wooden pattern and the pump should bolt right on to the studs.

Wally

Last edited by Wallster; Fri May 01 2015 11:47 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Personally I would drill holes after poring the pad.

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
LSx Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Great. That's def something to get the mind thinking.

Im wondering if drilling the concrete then bolting would be ok also?

-Brian
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Brian , Poured my own gas pump pads once and twice now as we moved last spring to our new place . I would pour the pad then hammer drill your holes once you position the pump to suite you. J bolts work but tapcon fasteners or wedge bolts are so much easier and super strong . What Walster did with his RR sign is exactly how I did both my sign posts, but for just a pump , drilling then anchors or tapcons would be all you need . ....I like that RR sign Wallster!

Last edited by 47reo-travis; Fri May 01 2015 12:41 PM.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
We use these wedge anchors at work all the time (like Travis mentioned). Drill a hole, hammer them into the hole and tighten the nut down.

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JI_9ggbmcY

Wally

ps. I'm not trying to hijack your thread Brian but if anyone wants to check out the RR crossing fab and install pics, they're on my website here: http://www.wallys-speed-shop.com/railroad_crossing.html

Last edited by Wallster; Fri May 01 2015 12:46 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: 47reo-travis
Brian , Poured my own gas pump pads once and twice now as we moved last spring to our new place . I would pour the pad then hammer drill your holes once you position the pump to suite you. J bolts work but tapcon fasteners or wedge bolts are so much easier and super strong . What Walster did with his RR sign is exactly how I did both my sign posts, but for just a pump , drilling then anchors or tapcons would be all you need . ....I like that RR sign Wallster!

Thanks!

LSx Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Im diggin the wedge bolt idea here. I watched a video right before you posted that and that seems like the ticket. Just have to get my measurements right.

Thanks a bunch guys. Ill be posting pics when I get it together!

-Brian
LSx Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
And Wallster, the jig you made for your RR setup would be the way to go with something of that weight for sure. I didn't know about the wedge bolt giddyup until now. Def confident in those

-Brian
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Cool Brian, that's what's so great about this forum, plenty of helpful advise from members.

Wally

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Brian-You really dont have to measure anything ,as you can put the pump where you want it, drill down through the holes in the base (A little deeper than you need) then just tap the expansion anchors down (with the nuts and washers in place) down till they bottom out and tighten the nut. The wedge pulls up as you tighten and your done. My only advise would be not to go fanatical and over tighten the nuts. Even then, there is always epoxy...

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Those wedge bolts work.....most of the time. On occasion they will pull through.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I used wedge bolts when I installed my above ground twin post hoist years ago. Never had a problem with it coming loose.
It was a little scary when I was drilling the holes because I had in floor heating. Never hit water. Thank goodness !

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice railway crossing!!!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
LSx Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for all the responses guys.

-Brian

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun