Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#619187 Wed Jun 24 2015 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Has anyone had any experience salvaging an original cloth hose ? I am interested in lining the hose and "repairing" the cloth covering with is torn and separated in several places.This hose is for an outside pump. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
No one has ever tried to repair the fabric on a old cloth fuel hose ? Any help would be appreciated.
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
First comes to mind is when they repaired the War of 1812 Flag at the Smithsonian--though that was a very light, thin cotton. Don't know if they will help you but perhaps a museum or historical society that has worked with sails for example. Isn't the cloth a heavy canvas? If not, it would help you in your search for repair, to know what kind of fabric.

You could even start with some of the sites where folks have restored and/or use one of old Tall ships--if they don't know, they might be able to direct you to someone who specializes in canvas. In Maryland we have the Dove (a recreated ship that landed in MD in 1632) in historic St Mary's City.

Or contact even places that restore old paintings, where they need to repair canvas?

And as a last resort, check with a local seamstress or tailor as well. They can often be found at local dry cleaners.

Ask them if it is possible to have any repair repair match or blend in with the rest of the hose cover.

Just a thought. Good luck

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I have tried that before and then tried to reskin with fire hose material. Did not like the outcome. Use PetroRelics hoses as they metal insides and act just like the old ones. He has the old looking cloth of two or three kinds to make it look authentic and great ends. You can even send him your restored ends and he can put them on the new hose.
Just a thought.

Craig
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Thanks for the PetroRelics info. I saved the brass fittings from an original hose in hopes that some day I could reuse them. If Jim's large diameter white hoses are close to 1.6" OD, but not over 1.6" OD, I can use them on his hose..

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hello Craig,
I appreciate your response. This hose is going on a "rustoration" type Fry and I just hate to mess up one of Jim's good hoses by placing it outside. LOL I was hoping that someone had experience with repairing the cloth covering. I am going to try something and I just did not want to spend a lot of hours experimenting. This forum usually offers some pretty good advice from individuals who have already "been there".
I'll keep you posted on what I find out.
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Put some white electrical tape on the spots and call it good. If this is a restoration nobody will know in a few months of it being outside.

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I was leaning towards something like that. I was looking at cloth surgical tape also and a type of fabric tape. Thanks for the advice.
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Athletic tape would have the same look and feel but I am not sure it would hold up.

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
It looks like I am probably going to "experiment", something I was trying to avoid. LOL
Thanks,
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
If you go with medical tape or athletic tape, you will need to brush on some type of clear, matte finish sealer or the adhesive will get hot and start releasing.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I was considering that...possibly with some type of clear, flexible coating that would penetrate the material and seal it. Thanks, Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I've never restored a cloth hose, but I've worked on other fabrics. If you are trying to make it more white, probably could use vinyl white SEM brand paint, just reduce it a lot and spray in multiple light coats so it doesn't look painted. That's how I restore carpets in old cars.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I contacted PetroRelics to find out if their large diameter white hose would fit inside the brass hose fittings I saved. No luck, the large diameter white hose has an OD larger than 1.6" and the next size down is 1.25" OD; too small.

Joe

Try an Ace bandage. They come in 4-5 ft lengths or longer. Soak it in diluted glue and wrap tightly around the damage. Paint it white and your hose has a fabric cast.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved