Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
djhubba Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Howdy Gas Geeks. It was a very interesting day for me here in seattle. I truly love our hobby because I for one, am always learning all the time about the items we love and the history of these awesome artifacts. Some of you may remember awhile ago I scored a really cool Wadhams Perfect Gasolines sign on Ebay and I had to pick it up at the greyhound station in which i duct taped it to the roof of my Chevy HHR (where there is a will, there is a way) I thought I got a pretty good deal on it and love the sign..here is a picture of the sign.

I cleaned and hung the sign and noticed there were extra holes near the bottom of the sign but towards the middle. I could tell they were factory and not drilled as they were just clean and perfect with no chipping around them etc. I thought it was weird at the time but was thrilled to have such a cool Wadhams piece in my collection as I focus on Socony/ Mobil and affiliates and soon forgot about the holes.

At some point later I made a deal with an old gasser here in the for sale section <I think it was Dan, but could be mistaken> on 3 pegasus shield signs..tought to be all truck signs. I paid and received them and love them so very much. hung them and enjoy looking at them everyday. I did notice on one of the signs..it had mounting holes on the top and middle, but not the bottom. thinking it odd at the time but quickly forgot about it as I sat and drooled over these cool shields that now resided in my collection. Here is the picture of the odd shield with mounting holes on top and middle only.

Today i was looking around the internet at gas stuff and couldn't believe my eyes..I saw the perfect gasolines sign I have..they are not common and thought..oh look, someone added a shield and then I remembered the strange holes in both and quickly went and measured my 2 signs mounting holes positions..and sure enough..I had both pieces of a really cool sign and never knew it. I am so happy..i will be reuniting these lovelies as soon as I get a chance and some antique brass screws..i couldn't believe I have enjoyed both these signs separate..and now I can enjoy them together as it was meant to be. its so cool to have both..cant imagine trying to find the other half..i probably would have been looking for a long time. Here is a picture of the sign when its together properly smile

I am feeling very thankful right now not to mention thrilled smile

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like that story - especially the way it ended - a solution too a problem you didn't know you had ... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very cool my friend. I like that Mobil stuff!
Dan

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There's a similar story to the example picture you posted. That is Gary's sign in Iowa. I was at his place and he had the wadhams sign sitting outside his building. I told him that the 18" Pegasus shield is made to attach to it and that I had 2 of them. He didn't believe me at first, so I told him I would sell him the worst of the 2 I had and send it to him and if he got it and still didn't believe that it belonged there, then I would refund his money including shipping.

Needless to say he put together the two and sent me that picture you posted above along with a big ol smile. He was very happy and as you can see, the sign looks fantastic on his building.

Glad to hear someone else is joining the two again. Everyone calls them truck signs, but luckily one oldgasser corrected me about a year ago. And he was spot on

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's always neat when you make a connection like that , great peice of history and story as well.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great story and the signs look great together.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I know of three different Wadhams signs that used the small attachment shield. Almost always being sold as a truck sign $$$.

I know there are at least 47 of the Perfect Oil signs as I found 45 of them in one spot years ago. And two more years later. Sold over 30 of them to one dealer/picker.

Perfect Oil Co was out of Lacrosse WI.

Jim

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks great!!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very very cool!

Braden Splichal

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Wow that is super cool!

Collecting Mobiloil, Mobilgas, Mobilmarine, Metro, General Petroleum, looking for Mobil variations I do not have, thank you Steve
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Awesome, glad the shield I sold you found the proper home!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved