Next Thread
Print Thread
#623668 Tue Jul 28 2015 08:03 PM
L
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L
what visible pump manufacturer used the subject pump plate and what was the model number of the pump?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Indian gasoline was texacos economy brand of gas until 1943. there where no specific pumps made for any company it was what the company or station owner liked the best. At least that's what I've thought could be wrong on that.

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
If oil companies owned the station (such as all the stations in New York city) and they wanted to upgrade the stations they would solicit bids from pump companies for a stated amount of pumps. In their specifications would be the exact colors the pumps were to be painted, exactly where the decals/signs were to be placed and where the contains lead signs were to be placed.

To back up this information I have over 500 blueprints from the Bennett files that show the above information. My assumption is that if a decal was to be used, the pump companies could easily have them made, but if it was to be a metal sign, these would be supplied by the oil company.
Oil companies did not order pumps one at a time, they ordered pumps in bulk. They would have the pumps delivered (usually by rail cars, again I have pictures of pumps being put in train cars) and delivered to a local petroleum equipment dealer who would install the pumps. If the decals/signs were not on the pump the equipment dealer would apply them while they were installing the pumps.

If Mon & Pop owned a Texaco station (meaning they purchased their gasoline from the local Texaco distributor) they would go the the closest petroleum equipment distributor and ask to have a salesman come out and show them what pumps were available. The salesman would show up, brochures in hand. This equipment distributor might only represent one pump company, or if they were in a large enough area they might represent a couple of pump companies. Mom & Pop would look over the brochures and pick out a pump. Most equipment distributors kept an inventory of pumps in their warehouse, created, ready to deliver to the station. When this type of pump was delivered to the Mom & Pop station and the crate was opened, the pump was red, the standard color for pumps that were sold one at a time. After the pump was installed, the rep. from the Texaco company would show up with, decals/signs and a globe for the pump.

I hope this helps you to understand how pumps were purchased. The biggest thing I see is collectors sometimes try to read into things more that what really happened. Purchasing a gas pump was the same thing to the dealer as purchasing a tire changer, it was a necessary expense he had to incur to make a profit.

I have personally owned or read through every National Petroleum News magazine from 1908 thru the 1980s, and I do not remember even once where there was a article or mention that the purchase of a particular pump would enhance the profit of the business. The ads did, but remember they were just trying to sell pumps.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
L
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L
I really appreciate all the information guys. what I really want to know is what kind of visible pump has the right curvature to match the curvature of the indian pump plate? thanks.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most any of the curved pumps will work. Wayne and Tokheim are two popular ones. The reason I mention those is I have seen two original signs on those pumps when they were originally found.....

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved