Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#56291 Thu Aug 07 2003 06:24 AM
S
S Hardy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I am fortunate enough to own an Erie 753-LP clockface just like the one on the front cover of Jack's book. I picked this pump up a few years ago and it has now been stripped and is in primer. I need to make some tough decisions on a paint scheme for this pump. The cast metal plates right under the meter are Cities Service. (the ones pictured on "the book" are eythl) I have not located plates for any other brand so I am leaning toward leaving it as Cities Service. I also have 2 original Cities Service globes, 1 with green letters and 1 with red letters. A clover leaf shapped globe is not in the budget right now. Were the red globes used for high test? Should I go with the green or the red? One day I lean toward one, the next day, the other. Any ideas on a paint scheme, stripes, etc would be greatly appreciated. I know that I will have to make the final decision and then live with the results. I just want to do this pump some justice since it is about the coolest thing I own.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
S Hardy:

Go with the green. That's a relatively rare color for a pump. Tons of pumps were painted red (most came that way from the 'factory'). You can go white/green or maybe cream/green. I'm not sure what the original color breaks would have looked like, maybe someone else on here can help with that. But you can paint it any way that YOU like. After all, it's your pump!

For reference: Cities Service Green; Dupont 79039, Cities Service Red; Dupont 6543. I have PPG equivalents at home if you need them. Just ask.

I just finished painting a Bennett 150 clockface for Chris+ and we shot the cast iron pieces in green along with the globe body. The sheet metal was done in white. I haven't seen it put together yet (how's it coming Chris?) but the green/white looked great together. The Cities Service green is a 'creamy' green - not an intense green like a British Racing Green.

Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

Later . . .

Jim

S
S Hardy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks, Jim. I was kind of leaning toward the green. I was thinking about green for the base, center split, light shades, and top and then painting everything else white. For the nozzle hanger and fork, I am hung up on either crome or green paint. decisions, decisions.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SOME ADVISE ?? I WOULD "ADVISE" YOU GIVE THAT PUMP TO ME,, THEN YOU WOULD HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT AS FAR AS PAINTING AND RESTORING.. ???
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR RESTORATION..

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Me for that me for that too - I would do the green too. We would love to see pictures before and after. If you have trouble posting them you can always email them to me and i will post them for you . We sure like to see the pumps ...esppecially the cool ones like clockfaces. Have fun.
---------------------------------------------
Hubba

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you email pictures of the globes I can try to find more info on them. Like grade of gas, dates used etc.

I don't know what the paint scheme would have been on a pump that old, but C-S used on the green lower area, and white on top with a couple of stripes midway during the 50's.

Most restored (or original for that matter) C-S pumps I've seen are done in green and white.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
K
Koz Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
S Hardy,

All I can say is wow! I have the same pump, but it doesn't have the clock mechanism, nozzle hanger, doors, but has several holes in the metal that I can see through to the wall. It would be nice to see how all of the parts look close up, so I too would like to see pictures of the before and after.

Cheers, Al

S
S Hardy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for all the advice guys. I am kicking myself for not taking a picture before I started. It is a little too late for the before pictures, unless you want to see a pile of parts in primer. I got a little carried away and before I knew it everything was disasembled. The pump sat for 2 years in my garage before I even touched it. Go figure. I am planning on doing a reassembly before the paint is sprayed just to make sure everything still fits after my bead blasting. I will try to snap some shots then. When I saw this pump, it was love at first sight. I am really lucky, this pump was totally complete with only minor surface rust. I have a few small dents to take out but that is it. The only part that I need to buy is a visaguage. It wasn't cheap, but the good ones never are.

Take care,
Steve

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved