Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#56414 Sun Oct 05 2008 09:10 AM
A
OP Offline
A

Gang

I just bought this exact lift in Dallas, TX. I saw it running when I bought it but after wiring it up, the motor hums but does not spin.

I don't know what the issue is. One thought is that oil got into the motor as it was sitting on it's side for some time.

Other concern is that the motor uses 3 phase electric and I only have single phase at my workshop.

What are my options? Does anyone know if I there is a standard replacement motor for this lift?

Is there a way to run a 3 phase motor on single phase electric?

Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.
I would also be grateful for any information on this lift. It's so retro!

All the best

Al

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#56415 Sun Oct 05 2008 09:29 AM
A
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
A
You would need to get either an equivalent single phase motor or a phase converter to run that three phase motor on your supplied single phase source.
Looks cool, good luck

Ed
#56416 Sun Oct 05 2008 09:33 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks, can parts be had for that motor?

#56417 Sun Oct 05 2008 09:40 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Static phase converters are relatively inexpensive and are sold by Enco Corp.

#56418 Sat Jan 10 2009 03:59 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been tinkering with this lift in order to get it working.

I bought a Rotary phase inverter and i'm able to get the lift running. But it seems to be binding in places. While I'm able to raise the lift without problems, it seems to bind when lowering and hence causes the breaker to trip and the motor to overheat.

I have no idea why. I can turn the gear box shaft by hand in one direction and it moves quickly and freely. I can hand turn the shaft in the other direction and it does turn but not as freely.

Lowering the lift will make the run very hot and smoke so i have to be careful.

Any thoughts on what i need to check? This is a non standard motor so I have to be careful so as not to damage the motor.

Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.

#56419 Sun Jan 11 2009 05:39 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Al,
Some thoughts:
Phase converters like to be matched to the horse power of the motor. Make sure your converter is rated high enough for the motor. Google phase converters, there are a couple of sites that have some good info on wiring and sizing.

Binding brings to mind something not plumb. I would want to make very sure that the base of all four poles are level with each other and that all poles are plumb. Do some cross measurements to see that everything is square also.

confused Shooting from the hip on this: Is the reverse electrical (motor runs both directions) or mechanical (some type of gear box). If electrical, could be some issues with wiring and phase converter.

Good luck
Ed

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved