Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#627940 Mon Aug 31 2015 06:33 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Has anyone ever tried to take a Porcelain Pump plate (18 x 12) and bend it somehow little by little to made it fit on an visible gas pump were it is rounded at like on a Wayne 515 pump? Is it possible to do this or you are just going to destroy the plate. There is one on ebay for sell in excellent condition with a curve to it. When I talked to the owner if it came from a visible pump she said "No" that it was in on top of the rafters where her father had a Texaco station at one time. She said it was never used, but she said that when it laid on the table she could put her four fingers underneath it. This is why I am wondering if I put light pressure on it over time could I round it enough to fit the Wayne 515. Has anyone ever tried something like this?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
with what you have, is there any stress marks in the porcelain? picture please ... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It has been done with success. I have a neighbor who knows a guy that rolled one for a visible pump. It worked but I am not sure how long it took?

KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B

There's one on ebay right now Texaco with a black T that is fake. Sorry I don't have an item number. I think you can do it, but chances are you will really crack chip it.

S
OP Offline
S
I have not bought it yet that's why I am asking before I buy it. It seems to be in 9+ condition from the pictures she sent over. I would only want to buy this if there was a good chance that this could be done without putting stress marks on it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Skychiefer
from the pictures she sent over. I would only want to buy this if there was a good chance that this could be done without putting stress marks on it.

with what your looking at, either it has stress marks or it doesn't? ... cool

RANDY
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
I'm sorry or is it me, this post is not making much sense. Please post for us some photos that were sent to you. I'll try to help as much as possible if it's an original Texaco plate ?

If Texaco they made porcelain curved 12" X 18" plates between the years 1940 & 1945 maybe later from what I've seen & owned. Would I take a minty flat original plate from those years and try to bend it, NO

Doug

Last edited by blacktee; Mon Aug 31 2015 10:25 PM.
S
OP Offline
S
The lady sent me the pictures though her phone to my phone. Could anyone here tell me how to load it on Oldgas. It was on EBay for sale, but was never sold and by the time I seen it on there it was ready to close so I have been just talking to her on the phone. As far as stress marks Randy maybe I don't know what you mean by that I figured you meant cracks in the finish. If that's the case, I didn't see any in the pictures. If you and Blacktee want to text me or send a pm to me with your phone # I could forward the pictures though my phone to yours. I at least know how to do that. My number is 1-989-670-3204.
Thanks

N
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
N
There has to be someone out there who figured out how to to them. Just look at all the phony curved pump plates on ebay that never originally were made.....IMO

I collect Phillips 66 and globes pumps & signs esp Iowa co.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
As I recall, someone on oldgas tried this before. He used duct tape to protect the porcelain then slowly rolled it on a sheet metal roller. His before and after pictures showed the porcelain being destroyed with stress cracks. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I think the trick would be to thoroughly heat the porcelain plate before rolling. It will become malleable to some extent. Doing it 'cold' will cause the crystaline nature of the porcelain to fracture.

My guess is that you'd put it in a 450 degree oven for 30 minutes then run it through a roller system.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B

SkyChiefer I sent you a personal message with my wife's cell phone number in it.

Doug

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm probably missing something but why not just use a rounded
PP instead of trying to bend a straight one

i do have 7 or 8 of these all dated 1940 (and yes original)

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By deacon
why not just use a rounded
PP instead of trying to bend a straight one

... cool

RANDY
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Dann

Send me an email is you're selling and have some really nice ones.

Doug dougma@wwnet.net

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved