Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Southtx Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Guys I need help on this specific shell. I've had a pretty good amount of embossed "clam shells" but this one I've never seen and can not find anywhere as far as research. It is 48x48 it is the older orangish yellow, the entire border is embossed or raised and the the letters are raised again. The fingers on the clam are not seperately embossed. Notice the outline is completely red and there are 24 GROMET Holes? This leads me to believe it was on a truck/tanker or possibly a refinery? I was told that it was a neon with just the border being neon but the signs I've had in the past have verticals holes down at the bottom for the tubes, this does not. Any and all feed back appreciated. I'm taking to get neon added today but will not let him drill it.

image.jpg image.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
you are correct about the vertical holes at the bottom, this one is not a neon. thats all i know.

i would assume it would have been bolted directly to another sign, along with a couple hangers and hung on a pole.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
could this be the back side of one drilled for neon
with neon running between the 2 signs? ... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By advertologist
could this be the back side of one drilled for neon
with neon running between the 2 signs? ... cool

No... the neons were the same front & back, both sides had the vertical insulator holes in the bottom.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
example: ... cool

IMG_1712[1].JPG

RANDY
S
Southtx Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Yes! I've had and seen quite a few of those, they are all a "rounded" embossed. Genuinely look like clam shells. This sign is like a flat embossed and is the earlier orangish yellow. I'm 99.9% sure it was on a early tank of some sort, either a refinery or a truck. Not sure y else it would have 24 grommets 12 on each side?
Bottom line is I took it to my neon guy and told him to build a frame, not a can, and to do all only using the grommets. Going to put ruby outline all the way around with no drilling so sign will stay untouched. Will be for sale on gas hill during roundtop/warrenton! Still amazed that there are som many examples out there that I've never even seen. Thanks for all the help fellas!

Showcase Feature Host
Showcase Feature Host
Here is another image of a sign like yours. These also have a flat edge like they were mounted to a flat surface. Could have been mounted to the wall of a service station as well. I've seen a few of these in my travels. Cool sign!

C_EIbuYYqgZqnKDleVuZ8A-small.jpg

Wanted anything Flying A Gas, Signal Gas, Hancock oil co, and Sunland.

Thanks Anthony
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great sign. Hopefully you post it after the neon is added.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
OK, do not want to sound like a jerk, BUT I have this sign as a double sided back to back with a three inch can. The neon goes around the outside just as the latter model shown would. The drawback to my sign is that the screws that hold the can onto the sign when tightened will cause the porcelain to chip for some reason.

Craig
S
Southtx Offline OP
OP Offline
S
That's actually the same one! Very cool. Thanks for sharing that.

S
Southtx Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I think that is how they were originally but Big Block Cat may be right that they went on special stations. I just know that there are 24 holes 12 on each side and that usually says it was on a truck but 48x48 is just to big for a truck.

S
Southtx Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Just got this pic from my neon guy. I will get sign tomorrow and get some better shots.

image.jpg
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Was hanging on the station pole outside. Not on the wall, and neon was 3-5"outside, as the previous picture.

Craig
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
The sign in question was made by Artkraft and was just another sign company who made signs for Shell. Sign would have had two sides and hung from a pole just like the puffy ones. The neon would have run around the edge also. There is a picture of a complete on in Filling Station Collectibles.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved