Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#629832 Tue Sep 15 2015 09:08 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Sharing....Don't get my news from yahoo, but this article on fleabay counterfeits caught my eye. I hope its a step in the right direction for getting rid of the fake India signs, et all.

Duped eBay buyers due millions in counterfeit product refunds

-Paul

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This article revolves more around fake electronic devices. eBay cannot and will never be responsible for validating the authenticity of signs. Heck, for some of the better fakes, the experts on OldGas now and then even disagree on a sign. How could you expect eBay to know if a sign is truly legitimate?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

RANDY
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Randy. Looks like Kevin beat me to the punch by several days. blush

Jeff- IMHO its got to start somewhere (albeit fake electronics). I agree that it is really difficult to tell some fakes from the real McCoy sometimes. I see it happen too often on OG that someone being too trigger happy purchased a knockoff without first tapping the vast knowledge-base here. (yes, i have been guilty of this and learned my lesson the hard way). Just don't want others to get stuck with an expensive reminder on the wall and at least have some recourse from shady sellers.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Paul can you post a direct link. When I hit yours or kevins link I get a Yahoo news menu with lots of items but not yours. I am interested in the story as well. And your right it's got to start somewhere.

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Gasman both links worked for me and I don't do the facebook thing.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Gasman here is the link. Hope it works for you.
https://shopping.yahoo.com/news/duped-eb...-204207498.html

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks that worked.

The question that comes to mind for me is: How many fleeced consumers will become aware that they have been duped; of those, how many will admit it to themselves and discover an avenue of recourse; and of those, how many will actually take the initiative and spend time to pursue it? Ultimately; Will enough impact be felt in paid out refunds to encourage ebay to tighten up on policing these frauds? I would guess that the 'acceptable losses' are far outweighed by the fees collected in uncontested counterfeit sales, and unfortunately the counterfeit market will not be impacted one bit. After all, greed... uh, I mean, 'profitability' is the motivating factor.

"Knowing you are a fool is the beginning of wisdom" - Benson Fong
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Interesting in that today I saw a sign on ebay I was interested in and sent the buyer a polite note asking to be sure the item was an original and not aftermarket repro. They wrote back that " It looks original to me " and then cancelled the auction an hour later.
Tom

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's why I have NEVER bought signs and things on Ebay unless I know the seller of they have a solid reputation in the hobby. I would say over the years 98% of the time I bought from someone who has retained ownership for a number of years or from old bulk oil distributors. When you meet people face to face you can generally tell if they are handing you a line.
Of course sometimes you have to buy everything they have, even if you don't want to retain all of it.

I feel sorry for some newer collectors who have built their entire collection off of Ebay. You know they have things that are not original, but they are convinced they are. The same happens at swap meets, not just Ebay.
I don't think this will ever change. It happens in ALL collector hobbies.

Years ago when I was just starting out collecting, I went to my very first swap meet. I found a set of 8 oil bottles with master spouts with a carrier. They looked to be in excellent condition. The seller wanted $120. The seller said he needed to sell them and offered the set for $100 and I thought I got the deal of the day. Unfortunately when I got home and showed them to a friend and mentor he explained I had purchased a "milk bottle carrier" with 8 mayonnaise jars and eight Master spouts. Value - maybe $60.
Now when I talk to "newbies" one of the first things I tell them is make sure you know what you are buying or don't buy it.
You are better off buying from fellow Old Gas members or reputable sellers unless you are guaranteed it is original.
Ebay and PayPal "Buyers protection" is a joke.

Last edited by Old Racer; Sun Sep 20 2015 07:04 AM.

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
As a newbie to this hobby, it baffles me the amount of fraud that goes on through ebay for collector signs. I am very glad that I found you all before purchasing on ebay smile

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved