Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
OP Offline
F
Hi guys!!

first of all I'm really happy about having found you on the web. I also have to tell you that your forum is really amazing!!
I'm a great fan of old cars, old gas stations and almost everything that is old and I've never seen before such a complete "data base" about such an specific topic like gas pumps. Congratulations to the web-master and all the members!! You are doing a great job!

I've looked and read all your topics and downloaded lot of pictures hoping to find what I was looking for, but although I've read everything (and I mean really EVERYTHING !!! I was 4 complete days occupied with reading all your topics!) I still have to ask you for help!!

Well, as you can read on the subject I would like to build a replica of a Tokheim 39. (Specially this one posted below, the tall one. Which Tokheim 39 model is this??)

As I do live in Europe (in Spain to be specific) it is very dificult (actually almost impossible ) to find those beatifull old gas pumps. I've been looking for them for a long time but either are not for sale or in just museums. Because of that I decided to make my own replica.

In order to do it properly I want to build a 3-dimensional model in my computer before I beginn building it (I'm a perfectionist!). To do that I'm going to need a lot of pictures and information that only you can give me. There is no possibility for me to take pictures of a Tokheim 39 here in Spain.

In the picture posted below you'll see what I need. Here you have also an extended description.

If someone have some original FABRICANT?? technical prospects of this pump whit some technical drawings and dimensions would be great!!

PICTURES: (IT DOESN'T MATTER IF IT IS NOT A TEXACO PUMP!)
1 - signs on the side (Please make sure that all the words are readable)
2 - gas nozzle. If possible from all sides
3 - gas nozzle holder & hose holder.
4 - glass sign
5 - globe's holder ring
6 - the globe
7 - chrome border
8 - glass sign
9 -10-11 - All details of the face. (please make sure that all the words are readable, also the tiny/small words)
12 - The main sign. It is not necessary. I could download a lot of very good pictures of it.
13 - foot platform.
14 - chrome handle
15 - small cap on the side

PLEASE REMEMBER:
- In all cases please remember to hold a ruler on each photo so that I can read the scale. (if in centimeters, better)
- Please make sure that all the words in the signs and other parts are readable so that it will be possible for me to recreate them.

OTHER INFORMATION NEEDED:
A- Pump's dimensions
- Height
- Width
- Depth

B- Globe's dimensions
- Height
- Width
- Depth

C- Hose's diameter (I think the length is not relevant)

If the photos are to big to be posted on the forum and in order to avoid disturbing other users with unnecessary loading time of the forum page you can send the pictures to this e-mail: sebapp2@gmx.de (it is a german e-mail, I've been living there for 10 years but live in Spain now)
I don't care how big the pictures are but the bigger the better (don't worry about me, I have a very good internet conecction)

Well, I think I'll have enough for the beginning with all these information. I'll keep the forum up to date about the state of my project posting some drawings, 3D photorealistic renderings at the beginning, and after that I'll share with you all the information about materials, technics applied, etc. Once is for sure: you won't realize the difference between the original and the replica!

I won't forget your help !
Thank you in advance !

bye
Fairlane

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
WELCOME,
You sure did alot of reading.

whats this pump going to be made out of? can i ask why you chose a tokheim 39?
i dont own any 39s to give you measurements or pics but someone will.

man it sure sounds like alot of work but sounds very interesting. keep us posted on progress!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow, I admire your ambition. That sounds like a lot of work for one pump. Ebay has 39's for sale all the time. Maybe you can luck out and have an old one shipped to you across the Atlantic. Just a thought. But if you're willing to do it all yourself, more power to you...that's true ambition. I wish I could help more, but I don't own a Tokheim 39 TALL. www.gaspumpheaven.com and www.vicsplace.com have a lot of reproduction parts for sale and may be able to help with some of the measurements your looking for. Hope that helps. ~Jason

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

F
OP Offline
F
hi guys!
thank you very much for your advices!
Pollyman, I already had a look at all those links. The fact is that when ordering from Europe (if they deliver to Europe) the shipping & handling in most cases are more expensive than the gas pump itself. (for that money I think I could buy one from a museum somewhere here in Spain )

I'm also an experienced hobby furniture designer and builder so it won't be dificult for me to build a replica.

Well, tom 2 tone, I have to make the plans first before I choose the materials but I think it is going to be made out of wood, sheet metal and some plastics. I'll keep you informed anyway! You'll be able to follow the whole process.
But first of all I need all the information. I think it is not worth to make such a lot of work if it is not a perfect replica (or at least almost perfect)

I choosed the "Tokheim 39 Tall" (thank you for confirming the type) because after having studied all the models I decided it is one of the best designs and it wont be dificult to reproduce. Other gas pumps has more complex geometries that are more dificult to build or in some cases they are just too big or too tall (the visible ones).
Feel free to recomend other models if you think they are more beatiful or whatever. You are the experts ! Your opinion is welcomed and needed !

Anyway. I think I'll try to buy at least the globe. As it is not so big/heavy the shipping won't be so expensive.A home made globe would be really too dificult to do.
May be you know somebody who has a "Tokheim 39 tall" and can tell him/her that some "crazy guy" from europe need some pictures & dimensions to build a replica. I'll thank you a lot.

bye!
Fairlane

F
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
F
Hey Fairlane... Welcome to Old Gas.. I like you already. You have a lot of what I call "Hutspa!!"...
Your research, energy and dedication to the end result is something I am looking forward to tracking... Please keep us posted on the progress.
I do not have a Tok 39 in my collection... but if I did, I would certainly share what I could with you.
I am sure that you will receive a lot of help with your project from the wealth of knowledge and talent on this site.
Best of Luck...

------------------
Frank

Frank
P
P
Here's a Tokheim 1063 nozzle. (2 pics - scanner isn't that big)

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Other pumps to consider would be the WAYNE 60 & TOKHEIM 36B.

Eons ago I made a 36B TOP out of wood to complete a pump [that was before they made repo's]. Then I started collecting/buying the TOPS, when I found them. I now have more tops than FINGERS & TOES, plus the ones on my SHELL TWIN 36b W/ SHOWCASE.

Dick

A
A
Nice project fairlane. The Tok. 39's are a middle of the pack priced pump here. So a purchase of one here would not be too expensive here. I admire your efforts. If I may suggest; I would purchase one, then send the panels flat packaged. The frame is just 1/2" pipe if I recall corectly.You could handle that there. I have a 39 tall, but is BURIED in my shed! Let me know if want to go that route and maybe I can help you.

My brother traveled last year to the Canary Islands and wants me to go along, but no TIME! Sounds like you have quite a bit. But people overseas then to live a less frantic life-style than us here in the U.S. I've experienced that personally. Best wishes on your project.
Al

A
A
Fairlane, THere is a gentleman from Sweden, who visits this forum at times. His name is Claes Walen, Did I spell that right Claes?!
I'm sure you can find him through posts on this forum. I just saw a reply from him here. He knows alot of American interest suppliers in Europe. Just a fine gentleman.
I'm sure he can help also.
Regards.
Al

F
OP Offline
F
Peter, thank you very much for the pictures. Although it wasn't a nozzle of a Tok. 39 I just couldn't wait to build a 3D model ! Here you have the result. It wasn't easy. I think the nozzle is the most complex part of the pump (to reproduce I mean), isn't it?

FrankSargent, I really feel welcome here ! thank you ! you are realy cool people!! I'm sure I'll receive a lot of help here & make new friends ! That's the atmosphere that I felt while reading the whole forum before I posted my first topic. I'm confirming my intuition.

Dick, I'll think about the wayne 60 and the tokheim 36B. They are also very nice pumps!!

Al martin, thank you very much for your offer!! As far as I can remeber the unrestored pumps aren't so expensive in the USA. I'm just afraid about the shipping charge.

If I tell you the truth of course I would prefer to have an original pump and restore it. It's just that I thought it would be to difficult to buy it from here and that someone deliver it. (sometimes some e-bay sellers do not deliver cds to europe!!)

If you could do me the favor and ask there how much would be the shiping charge for a Tok. 39 I would thank you a lot.

Well I just have enough time at the moment beacuse I left my old job for a better one and I have 10 free days until I beginn. But I normaly always find the time to the things that I like!
(my dream is just to spend my whole time restoring things. A job like in "gas from the past" would be heaven on earth for me!!)

I'll try to contact Claes Walen (don't know either if this is the right spelling) The fact is that all those american vintage things are very expensive here. But who knows...

And now, for all of you, my first results!! I also began drawing a 3D model of an Ice-box gas station - I also would like to build a replica of it in full size but have not enough place and money to do that... ...YET !!!
I already own a Ford Fairlane Crown Victoria 1955 (V8 - pink & white) and I 'll beginn restoring it after the pump project.

Enjoy the renderings!

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Nice 3-D program!

I think if you can buy several pumps at a time, shipping per pump is less.
I would look for someone that is importing American cars to Europe and see if they can ship a few pumps as well.

There is a place in Munich that used to import containers of Filling station stuff, Route 66 , advertising, soda pop stuff all the collectible goodies. I would try a search of gas pumps Munich or ask around they will show up if they are still there, try "classic american cars Munich" the collecters of these will know who is selling stuff around there. When I went to see them they were bringing a container about every 2 months. I will look for their card.

If you do build a pump, I would try to do Tokheim 36 or Wayne 60, cost 50 % more to make but would sell for 2X the money. Import nozzles, I dont think you can build them cheap enough, but a billet one would be cool.

GOOD LUCK..dodogas

[This message has been edited by dodogas (edited 10-31-2004).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hello Fairlane,
Claes (Wallin) here. You have a fun project ahead of you, and the two places in Europe I can think of that may be helpful are: http://www.thefiftiescorner.ch/neu/fr1.htm
or http://www.route66store.ch/
The owners of these two places are great guys and very helpful. I am sure thay have parts that you may need.

I myself would also consider buying directly from the US, off eBay, or through the vendors that have been mentioned in this post.

Al, thanks for those nice words, hope your friend kliked the Benzin sign!
regards
Claes

F
OP Offline
F
Hi Claes!

thank you very much for the links! The shops are great!!... ...but quite expensive. I think I'll try to buy one directly from the states or just continue my project. It's also some kind of challenge for me to build a replica only based on fotos and help thru internet.

regards too!
Fairlane

A
A
Yes he did Claes, And my freind gives his many thanks.We'll see if we can help Fairlane out.
Regards.
Al

F
OP Offline
F
Hi guys!

This weekend I had a closer look at the pictures that I found about the Tok 39 and the Tok 39 tall in order to analize the differences between them.
Esthetically seem to be no difference. The nozzle, face and other details are just the same. It's just the add glass and of course the height what are different.

Because of that it would be very usefull to me if I could receive some detailed pictures of any tok 39 (shot or tall).
it doesn't matter if I finally build a replica or just buy an original one. I really would like to draw a 3D model in order to complete my 3D animation of the ice-box gas station that I'm also drawing in 3D at the moment. (to build a gas station replica here in Spain is my greatest dream-project)

I really would like to share the renderings and results of this virtual gas station and maybe it could be also interesting for oldgas.com to have this vistual station on their page... ... don't you think?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved