Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
I took the tape off this globe in prep for installing a pair of lenses I picked up and a planned project for the globe. I need though to get this old hardened tape goo off.
Tried:
Goo Gone (worked fine until we got to the meat of the problem)Then nothing!
Paint thinner (was cutting it slightly but still very slow going. Then I noticed some yellow on the white rag and that was enough of that. Don't want to damage original paint)
WD40 per something I read online (didn't do a thing)

Any thoughts/suggestions?? Stuff is hard as a rock!!

globe frame I (2).jpg IMG_20151026_070216995.jpg
Last edited by Steve C.; Mon Oct 26 2015 04:25 PM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Steve, try Ascetone but test first.

Have gas all the time
W
W
The response on this suggestion should be interesting.

Try a layer of peanut butter. Rub it in and let stand for awhile. Remove with dry terry cloth.

Walt K.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Back at my first job at 16 as a clerk in a drug store, we squeezed lighter fluid on the metal shelves to remove the sticky residue from price stickers. We softened it with the fluid then used a razor to scrape it off--something you won't want to use in your situation, but a butter knife might do the trick without scratching the yellow. Don't know if lighter fluid would affect the yellow.

Let us know what works in the end...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yes, it is astonishing how well masking tape can adhere! As suggested I would try ever increasing harshness solvents - goo gone, acetone, etc. I've also had some luck using polishing compounds and rubbing it out, of course risk of going through. I believe the glue on the tape actually etches into the paint given enough time. I've had nice paint jobs ruined by tape before.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Lighter fluid.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Best thing I have found is a Product made by 3m Comes in a red can its called Adhesive Remover works well on all tape residues Can be found at most auto parts and auto paint supply stores.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Steve before using all the solvents you gotta try the PB! Now that would be something if it worked. You can use a slice of bread to wipe it off!

m.youtube.com/watch?v=4GGqcWBrn1U

Last edited by Gasman84470; Mon Oct 26 2015 10:01 PM.
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Thanks all!!
I really doubt the peanut butter is going to work in that this is not "goo", it's hard as a rock. But I'll give it a try, what the heck.
Thanks for the youtube link Fred. I didn't think to look there and I found all kinds of remedies there! There was one using ant and roach killer on "hard" duct tape residue that I was liking.
I tried a little lighter fluid this morning before work, it seemed to maybe be putting a little dent in it with a lot of rubbing, but I was seeing a fair amount of yellow on the rag. Again, have to be careful of the paint.
I'll also try the adhesive remover.
Little worried about Pauls statement about it etching into the paint. Let's hope not.
Keep you all posted.

Last edited by Steve C.; Tue Oct 27 2015 02:08 AM.

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Also, use a credit card or plastic razor blade to scrape with. Maybe a little steam concentrated out of a kettle-enough to warm but not burn the paint. It will make a big difference.

Last edited by JimT; Tue Oct 27 2015 02:30 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Usually the paint gets damaged on newer paint jobs (by letting tape sit on it.) You are probably good. May want to try Wax & Grease remover (from an auto paint store) although you'd think acetone would work. Wax and grease remover won't take dried paint off though typically, may allow you to scrub more, that's my "go to" solvent.

I've never tried it on masking tape residue, but I could see how clay bar might work. Clay bar is usually used to remove overspray, but might work for this. Also at auto paint stores, it's a hard putty you wet down and rub the paint with back and forth. Paul

Last edited by Paul Bell; Tue Oct 27 2015 02:16 PM.

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
It's funny Paul, as I was reading the first line of your post, my mind drifted to my brother in law just telling me how he clay barred his truck this weekend, and I thought, Hmm... I wonder. Then I read your second line.
I'm off right now to try the acetone. Let Y'all know!

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think acetone is the ingredient in nail polish remover....

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Wow! No Go on the acetone(Melissa's nail polish remover)!! It started to go right through the paint. Good thing I tested in on the bottom.

This guy says use Ant & Roach killer. Hmm...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ9bZ51PgfU

Last edited by Steve C.; Tue Oct 27 2015 03:18 PM.

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yeah I was kind of grasping with clay bar, but you never know! I'm sure you'll find the right chemical or method, can sure get frustrating!

Since acetone is too agressive, I still recommend wax & grease remover. Some guy out there formulated it to be a solvent that strips contaminates off paint, without wrecking the paint, so it kind of fits the bill of what your doing. It's used by auto painters to clean paint before you apply primer or more paint, it's not the stuff people use to degrease engines.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved