Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Viking1
Thanks guys for your comments and suggestions. I don't feel so bad about breaking the glass now (ha,ha). After 6 months of working on Gasboys, I was not prepared for the sheer weight of this retail pump, as Bryce pointed out. This thing is heavy!

I really appreciate the opinions about whether to restore or not to restore. My original intention was to restore it, which I will probably still do. But it's good to take a step back and look at the original patina, etc.

I'll keep you all posted.

Yes plz keep us posted and don't worry about the weight, when you remove the internals it'll be WAY lighter! If you are doing that of course.

Might be interesting to restore to the same design, my first thought was the graphics are cool but the pump is a little too rusty to not restore IMO. Others would say it's cool as is, all different opinions.

You could recreate the graphics on the bottom door maybe minus the white vinyl background? That be easy enough.

I've seen those decals before that are in the middle, the gold border, someone makes those.

Last edited by Paul Bell; Fri Dec 11 2015 07:06 PM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice save!!

Braden Splichal

The patina is great! I would leave it as is..that look is becoming very popular even in cars.

Viking1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks everyone for the advise!

Paul - I had the same observations that you brought up. The pump looks good, especially in the pictures at a distance. But up close, the only word that comes to mind is "crispy" (ha,ha). It does have surface rust and many of the decals are curled up, especially on the sides. I also thought of leaving it "as is" and installing an Amoco globe (it already has the globe ring), but a new shiny globe on the old pump wouldn't look right either. Fortunately, all panels are straight, and there is only one small rust-through hole on the bottom of one side panel. I'm in the middle of a move to Florida (hope the picking is better down there!), so I will set it up in my new garage and see how it looks.

Thanks again!

Eric

Last edited by Viking1; Sun Dec 13 2015 07:33 AM.

Bennett 766, Wayne 505, Gilbarco 1006, A.O. Smith L-3 "Smithway", and a multitude of Gasboy, Gilbarco, Tokheim, Bennett consumer pumps.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Eric,

Sorry my note above got screwed up a little from what I meant to say. I'm pretty sure that center border on the door (not gold) somebody makes already. The lettering on the door could be replicated with a white vinyl background or even better just paint the background white. That's if you want to restore and keep the original look. I've got some tricks to replicating graphics, pm me if you go that route. Oh and don't be surprised if you find a whole lot more dents once you get into it!

I know what you mean about pics, I always assume things are worse than they appear unless their closeup pics. Good luck, I'm sure it'll turn out great whatever you do.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Viking1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks!

Bennett 766, Wayne 505, Gilbarco 1006, A.O. Smith L-3 "Smithway", and a multitude of Gasboy, Gilbarco, Tokheim, Bennett consumer pumps.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved