Next Thread
Print Thread
#57885 Wed Jun 16 2004 10:21 PM
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
OVERALL how does a unrestored pump sell better?

for instance, NO SIGNS NO GLOBES, if a wayne 60 was for sale with pump mechanism in or available that had been pulled apart, sand blasted & sealed inside & out by a professional with all the correct screws, new faces, & glass & you could tell it was a nice pump to start with -
as opposed to a 60 that was a nice nice original with the original paint or with several old coats of paint on it, slighty worn faces & cracked glass with the original screws intact, an untouched, never been apart nice pump. ???

i know some like pumps in their natural condition & will pay more for this condition of pump.
some want to restore a pump but arent body men & the resto is started on a primered pump & will pay more for for this kind of pump.

but overall what sells better??? if 6 pumps were lined up 3 untouched & 3 primered, which would sell first?

some RARE RARE pumps ill take any condition i can get them, BUT, it just seems im drawn to the untouched (virgin) pumps that are for sale.

???????????????????????????

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
To me Tom, its how straight the skins are plus the completeness. Ted had a chance to buy a nice clockface at Fred's, he asked me my opinion, the body was straight but it had one door-face Bezel, plus the bezel for the on-off,nozzle missing, and they do not reproduce these parts. If you are selling a very straight pump at a higher amount = 500.00 more . it will help to have it clean and primed. A guy that works the pump and does his own painting doen't mind paying the higher price for a pump he has to do less work on. just my 2 cents.

------------------
Dwaine

www.vintage-logos.com

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I agree with the above post about the pump being complete and worth more. But the primed thing, I am a little hesistant about. I have a little background with cars. Purchasing cars in primer always kind of scared me. I didnt know what the primer was hiding. If it were me, 2 pumps side by side equal in completeness, one in primer the other original, I'd choose the original. To "fix-up" an original pump to be sold, I would say just clean it up a little, remove some of the dirt, mouse houses, etc. Maybe pressure wash the pump inside and out, and be sure all the parts are there.

-Dave-
Collects Dino era Sinclair & Mopar items
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Tom I guess it all depends if they are going to restore a pump for resale or if they are going to keep it. For resale straight and complete. for me if it is a common pump, price, I have extra parts and I'm going to do its myself so it all boils down to dollars. if it is an uncommon pump I want it complete. If it is shipped I want the guts out. If it is primed I'll strip it down again it sends up flags for me just like a Quot rebuilt engine.

A
A
Thats a good point plum, not to mention if its been stripped and primed, you can't tell what the original scheme was. The history of the pump is basically lost. I would prefer the pump that is original.
Jimmy

Speaking for:
Awesome Consepts Enterprises
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
All these answers are great ones, look at the two 850ties in petrolium news, under Fred's Bash. The first one belonged to Steve Castelli in the back of his pick up. asking 3500.00 I got up in the truck and rubbed my hands over the hole pump. not one little dent. NOW, the next 850 with Ted in the picture, 3000.00 someone said, man what a straight pump. WRONG, there was all kind of dents. you couldn't see them good because of the paint. I agree with all the above answers.

------------------
Dwaine

www.vintage-logos.com

[This message has been edited by Dwaine Buck (edited 06-18-2004).]

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I agree with the untouched answer. Recently I bought a Fry 71 that has been blasted and primed but not knowing what type of primer it is and if its compatible with the top coat I will be spraying . I'll probably take it back down to bare metal and start from scratch.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved