Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#641519 Tue Dec 22 2015 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Picked up this nice Erie 70 today. It's the first one I've ever owned and I am needing a little help figuring out the top configurations they might have used. This one has a globe holder on it that looks like it's been there for ages and was used with a globe. It has block off plates on either side of the globe holder. Most I've seen used the one piece milk glass top and not a globe. Were they configured differently for different companies or was it up to the dealer to use a globe or the glass top? I do know that the original glass tops are crazy high priced when you find them..... This pump was in great shape and mostly complete save some trim and the globe/top. Even the faceplates are in super nice condition. Any input is appreciated.....GB

image.jpeg image.jpeg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Rabbitman #641533 Wed Dec 23 2015 12:59 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I have number of original pieces of Erie literature for the 70 that are not shown on my website.

I will get back to you after the holidays, Merry Christmas.
Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Rabbitman #641537 Wed Dec 23 2015 01:14 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gary, I'm not sure why some pumps were configured for globes and others with the dome top. I imagine some brands wanted the additional "signage" a globe top can bring. I personally like the dome tops but I'm probably biased! It looks like yours is set up for a globe, but just removing those two plates converts you to the dome tops.

I repro the dome tops. I'm out of stock but not too far off from making more. I have new molds so I'm anxious to use them at some point here. I also have the designs for the metal lettering option. An original option was to put metal lettering on the left and right side of the dome. It would say things like SHELL or REGULAR. I still plan on doing that too, just got delayed by other priorities!

If your interested, look at my old posts for more info.

Paul

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Rabbitman #641550 Wed Dec 23 2015 06:58 AM
S
S
My vote is to put a domed top on it. Either way this will be a great looking pump!

Always buying Skelly items.
Rabbitman #641564 Wed Dec 23 2015 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for the input guys. I don't particularly care for these pumps with globes either. I always thought that they looked sort of added on. I did review some of your older posts Paul. I was going to contact you and see if you had any domes also. I wasn't aware of the optional lettering but that sounds like a really nice touch and I would definitely be interested in that too if you get something going there. Please keep me in the loop on the progress. Let me know what literature you have when you get the time Jack. Wonder if Skelly ever used this pump Todd?.....GB

Rabbitman #641572 Wed Dec 23 2015 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I pulled out mine this past summer and it has a piece for a station light, and ad glass. I too will be on the hunt for the stainless trim. I have a generic station light that I will try to make work on this pump.

These pumps are sort of odd looking to me but that makes them cool in my mind.

photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG
Last edited by Done4; Wed Dec 23 2015 08:27 AM.

Have gas all the time
Rabbitman #641603 Wed Dec 23 2015 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have seen the tops like yours Les, but I didn't know they were for a station lite. I think yours is a 71 with the ad glass, from what I've read. I like it a little better with the ad glass. Since they are really pretty plain except for the top the glass ads a little to them. I think I'm going to try to make the top trim. I've had pretty good luck fabricating trim for some other pumps in our sheet metal shop. If I have good results I'll post it if anyone else would be interested in some. Ron Scobie has some of it I think, but not sure if he has all of the sizes. They are sorta odd looking but I like different.....GB

Rabbitman #641609 Wed Dec 23 2015 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
GB, if you need dimensions on the ad glass hood let me know and I'll get them to you. I would also be interested in the trim you create. I have another erie like yours in the trailer so I need to check to see if there is any trim on that one.

As for the top piece I just checked Jacks book and there is one in there and it says it is a Erie 44 Pylon-lite attachment and the illustration of the base is similar to mine.

Have gas all the time
Rabbitman #641642 Wed Dec 23 2015 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There are many SHELL ads that use this pump with the clamshell globe.

Rabbitman #727442 Sun Mar 31 2019 10:26 AM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Hi Gary. Just found this ad page out of a Erie sales book. Skelly ad . Also a booklet on Erie 50 series pumps.

IMG_0392 (2).JPG IMG_0394 (2).JPG

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved