Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
Kuriso Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I'm curious if anyone else has purchased globes from the Kyle Moore auction this weekend. If so, have you got your invoice and what were you charged for shipping? I purchased 3 different globes. I got an invoices shortly after the auction with just over $700 shipping for 3 globes. This was priced based on Fedex overnight shipping. I felt that was ridiculously high at $236 per globe. I purchased 1 globe during the first installment. I was only charged $130 to ship that globe with a pump plate overnight.

The first globe I purchased was double boxed and packaged very well. I requested shipping options for 2 and 3 day delivery times. Below is what I was given. Still ridiculous.

If you would like Fed Ex 2-day Shipping:
Shipping- $546
Packing- $120
Insurance- $27

If you would like Fed Ex 3-day Shipping:
Shipping- $360
Packing- $120
Insurance- $27

For those of you that ship globes more often, do you think I really need to ship these with 1-3 day delivery times or could I save some money and go slower? None of the globes I bought are extremely rare. I'd hate for something to happen to them but its hard to pay even $500 shipping/handling when I only spent $1950 for the 3 lots.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
maybe check another source,
fed ex has always been my #1 choice
but rates quoted too you seem high.. ... cool

RANDY
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Them Rates are just a big Rip Off

www.trifivechevys.com
www.knifegates.com

Looking to buy Sealed Power Piston rings ITEM's
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
globe shipping is expensive and requires a lot of materials. i posted in the main Kyle Moore auction topic that you should expect to pay 2-3x normal shipping rates when buying from Morphy's.

I also bought a globe from this sale. I was invoiced $250 for shipping the 1 globe... I called Linda at Morphy's and she adjusted to FedEx ground (aka 3-day) and that resulted in $85 + $17 insurance... so $102. While still high, that is more of what I expected. so if it gets here safe and insured, $100 per globe is doable.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
You can get actual costs online at FedEx.com/ratefinder/home

Be sure to do a detailed quote.

I assume they are using a standard size box that they purchased in bulk for most all the globes? You will need dimensions (biggest factor in cost, especially on expedited services), weight, and to/from zip codes.

For a sample, I pulled up $59, $140, $215 and $283 for ground, 3 day, 2 day, and 1 day service assuming Morphy shipping to Dallas, TX using a box sized at 2' x 2' x 1', which may be too small? Insurance was at $1k.

Shipping is not cheap, and dimensional weight calculations the carriers use really drive the cost up on large bulky items.

Keep in mind these computed rates do not reflect the discounts that regular shippers receive from carriers. Good luck!

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Also to clarify, 3 day service (express saver) is NOT the same as Ground. FedEx has two distinct services, ground and express. The Express carriers are the red/blue labeled trucks who deliver 1, 2, 3 day packages. The green/blue trucks deliver ground packages.

Note that in my example above, the 3 day charge was $140 which when tripled for three globes, exceeds the $360 you were quoted by Morphys.

Keep in mind that the express services see a lower volume of packages, and often utilize airplanes in additon to trucks, so hopes are for reduced chance of damage. Regardless of how it's shipped, packing is key. I personally would not pay for the 1 or 2 day over 3 day. I do see benefit to 3 day over ground for a valuable fragile item.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Fed Ex Ground is the safest and cheapest that's what I use. Now you know why when I ask at least $60-$85 shipping anywhere in US. It's hard to ship anything safer than that. Scott B.

I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
When i was there,i was talking to a couple guys who either run or work in shipping about how they ship globes.They said they try to ship next day air,much less handling. I guess with good packing it might not matter.I don't collect globes.I collect cans,thank god.lotta work shipping globes,to scary.

M
M
Originally Posted By Kuriso
I'm curious if anyone else has purchased globes from the Kyle Moore auction this weekend.

I received an invoice from this weekend and was shocked they wanted $195 for FedEx overnight for 1 globe plus $35 for packing. I called them and told them I didn't need it overnight so she quoted me $60 for FedEx ground plus the $35 for packing. That was a lot more reasonable. She was very nice and it was done quickly.

Last edited by mrilawgib; Wed Jan 13 2016 08:13 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By scottpcm
Fed Ex Ground is the safest and cheapest that's what I use. Now you know why when I ask at least $60-$85 shipping anywhere in US. It's hard to ship anything safer than that. Scott B.

Same here without any problems!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I received an invoice immediately that had charged my credit card when I had intended to pay by check and save 2%. I also wanted to have them use my own FedEx account, as opposed to theirs, because I get a reasonable discount. All of that was resolved.

In my e-mail to them regarding the details listed above, I also asked them to confirm that my globe would be double boxed. I was told that'd be another $20 on top of the $40 already charged for packaging.

1) 2 boxes,some bubble-wrap & peanuts and a little labor should not cost $60. Then again 22% BP feels rather high so maybe it's in line.

2) I am stunned though.....that if I had not asked.....they were not going to automatically double-box a globe!??

Are you kidding me?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
We ship around 75-100 packages a day in our business, mostly all UPS but their express rates for 1-3 day service are about the same as Fedex. It is getting almost impossible to justify shipping things in those categories unless it is a life or death item or you just have a lot of extra cash and you want it quick. Customers are routinely mad at us when they ask for something overnight and we quote them the cost, thinking we are for sure gouging them. Still, the whole pricing structure of these online auctions has became a license to steal, in my opinion. I have bought a few items this way back when Matthews had it and the premiums were a little less and the shipping was also. Still, I decided the last time I did buy something it was my last as it was just not worth it to me. The FedEx charges being what they may, charging $120 to pack three items that they have already made upwards of 40% on already just seems crazy, even to me, and I'm in business and know what costs can be. I don't blame Morphy's. If they can get it, more power to them. But, if you are going to have to have something from these auctions be prepared to pay dearly to get it in your hands or just watch. With gas prices where they are, I bet I could drive to the auction from Texas and pay for a motel and eats for pretty close to $700 and I could hand carry my prizes home and save some on buyers premiums to boot. Just sayin......GB

M
M
Originally Posted By OK Used Cars

2) I am stunned though.....that if I had not asked.....they were not going to automatically double-box a globe!??

Are you kidding me?

I didn't ask them but on my invoice it says charged for 2 boxes so I assume it will be double boxed. It is insured for full value.

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Originally Posted By scottpcm

Best advice around right here guys. But I'd like to add a few things to Scott's words. A few years ago I sold/shipped all my Texaco globes ranging in price from $500.00-$3500.00. Most were shipped FedEx ground with insurance. The rest were shipped UPS ground with a $5.00-$10.00 increase. The "Key" to all of this is the double boxing in my case I used 24" X 24" X 24" boxes from U-Haul about $7.00. Another thing I did was to put in what I call a false bottom to my outside box, by this I put in my 2" of peanuts in the bottom of my outside box and cut/installed a 23 3/4" piece of cardboard on top of the peanuts. Leaving those peanuts no where to ever go. A good amount of my globes went to California, costing around $80.00 from Michigan. On the exterior "top" of "all" my boxes I wrote & it takes just a few extra minutes using a large marker and straight edge to keep it neat. "Antique Glass" "Please handle with Care". "Please" do not stake". And a "Thank You" here and there. I also wrote "Please Handle With Care" "Thank You" on all four sides and bottom. I always felt it would be kind of hard for the guy working the line to start throwing my stuff around after reading "Please" & "Thank You" but I never had one single problem shipping 20 globes across country.

Rabbittman writes:

Sorry Rabbittman but that's just plain wrong in my opinion, but I don't own a business

I don't blame Morphy's. If they can get it, more power to them.

K
Kuriso Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Well I'm glad I was not the only one to think these cost were way out of line. I was prepared to pay the $130 which was what it cost for the first globe I purchased a few months back but I never imagined it would be almost $100 more per globe this time.

Thank yall for feed back on shipping. It sounds like I should be fine doing a more economical shipping for these pieces.

Originally Posted By Rabbitman
... But, if you are going to have to have something from these auctions be prepared to pay dearly to get it in your hands or just watch. With gas prices where they are, I bet I could drive to the auction from Texas and pay for a motel and eats for pretty close to $700 and I could hand carry my prizes home and save some on buyers premiums to boot. Just sayin......GB

I really wish I could have made the trip but the timing of this auction clashed with a seasonal business I have. The cost of this shipping could have covered a good part of the cost of a trip up there.

Originally Posted By OK Used Cars

Are you kidding me?

I guess I better check on this too. That first globe was double boxed, bubble wrapped and padded with peanuts. I would have expected this paying $40 packing per globe. I'm a little more ticked now that I know it could cost me another $60 to get them properly packed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved