Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Doug, I guess maybe I sounded a little crass with the statement about Morphys. I didn't mean that I thought they should overcharge just because they could, I was referring to the fact that when you bid on an item, you should really make it a point to know what the costs are going to be to complete the transaction before you bid. Like I said, to charge $120 to box and handle three globes is a little steep, in my opinion, but so is 22% premium on top of each item you buy, in my opinion. But, if I knew going in that that was the charge, Morphy's isn't to blame, They are free to charge whatever they want, I have only myself to blame for hitting the bid button. I'm quite sure that they will tell any prospective buyer before the auction what they charge to ship an item. It's dangerous this day and age to assume anything. Sadly we live in a buyer beware world. That's doesnt necessarily make it right, but most of the time that's the way it is. I probably should've just kept my mouth shut anyway as I don't know what Morphy's costs are and therefore shouldn't be passing judgement on them for what they charge. This would be an entirely different discussion if they were shipping out valuable globes in lightweight boxes via parcel post and only charging $25. Then, every other globe would arrive broken and they would be getting the heat for that reason. I haven't heard anybody complaining that their globes arrived broken, so they must be doing something right.....Hope I didn't offend anyone with my post, that wasn't my intent...Gary

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
K
Kuriso Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted By OK Used Cars

1) 2 boxes,some bubble-wrap & peanuts and a little labor should not cost $60. Then again 22% BP feels rather high so maybe it's in line.

2) I am stunned though.....that if I had not asked.....they were not going to automatically double-box a globe!??

I just got an updated email in response the shipping rate increase and the question about double boxing the globes.

Originally Posted By Email from Morphy
"I apologize for the increase in shipping costs. Our rates go up in January every year from Fed Ex. We do double box all of the globes. That is standard across the board for every globe. I will send you updated invoice in a separate email with the updated shipping rates."

If someone is charging you extra for this, you need to get them to change that.

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
What was your
packing charge for one globe?

K
Kuriso Offline OP
OP Offline
K
It was $120 for 3 so $40 each

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Sorry for this late reply but I DO appreciate your help.
Thanks Kuriso!
Don

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Now that I look, even $40 seems high as I was charged $25 for double-boxed packing for a globe I bought in the first KM auction just 3 months ago.

K
Kuriso Offline OP
OP Offline
K
So sick right now. The globe I wanted the most came in broke! The other 1 1/2 globes came in fine. Why 1/2? They took the lenses off one and shipped them separate. They did not arrived for some reason.

These were double boxed and the boxes looked great. I just can't believe it.

How hard is it to get a insurance claim completed with fedex?

mobil_globe_2 - Copy.jpg mobil_globe_3 - Copy.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
^^^Oh NO! that stinks.

David, it is the seller's responsibility to file a claim with FedEx. Hopefully Morphy's will take care of sorting it out. It's unfortunate to see this happen, especially when we pay so dearly for shipping

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Online Content
I bought 2 globes from the auction. They came last week in great shape. I was surprised to see how good they were packaged, probably about the best packing job I have ever seen.

I have never filed a claim with fedex, so I cant help you with information on that.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Concerning the 1/2 are you sure that you bought a globe that had two lenses. Many in the auction where single. Bummer either way.
Bryce is correct the seller will have to file with fed-x. Good luck I had one dealing with ups concerning damage and was never made whole. Seller on the other end didn't play along and I finally washed my hands of it all and moved on.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
K
Kuriso Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Yes, they were packaged very well. I really didn't think they could get messed up with the way they are packed.

I have not attempted to remove the sticky plastic layer but the actual globe looks to be intact from what I see inside. It is the lenses that broke. The one side, you can see a spot in the "L" that looks like it was hit. The crack "Y"s there and it is full of glass shards and dust. The back side looks like a pressure crack.

I hadn't ever had to filed a claim with Fedex. Are they good about covering the insurance or do they look for any way to get out of it? I sent the details to someone at Morphy. They are already working on it.

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I thought the the damage in the L in the first pic you posted looked like a direct hit...odd damage since it was double boxed?

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
K
Kuriso Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Yes, it looks like a direct hit.

Loyd, yes the other "1/2" of my globe, the lenses, were a set. I had got a Dino Gasoline to match a set of Dino Supreme lenses I got off OG a little while back. Fedex now says "No scheduled delivery date available at this time" for this 4th box that I hope contains my lenses.

mobil_globe_hit.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
glad to hear it was packaged well... sounds like the shipper is to blame. good luck, hope it all goes smoothly.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I had to file a FedEx claim on a Deep Rock globe that fedex obliterated. They were actually very easy to deal with in the claim. I went to a FedEx store to get the claim initiated and it gave me someone to deal with directly and advocate for me on the claim. I submitted the sale price via PayPal statement and gas globe book value. FedEx paid for it in its entirety in a timely manner.

Anything MICHELIN and early graphic tin signs
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved