Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L
Sitting here watching Barrett-Jackson's first day auction and trying to put things into prospective: Cars, signs (including neon), globes,etc. With all of the high end auctions this year, prices are really strong in the gas and oil catagory in general. Signs, globes and some pumps are bringing more than some really nicely restored cars and trucks. What do y'all think is the driving factor that is keeping our end of the hobby strong? I really enjoy this hobby. Buy Carefully.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Larry Nace
What do y'all think is the driving factor that is keeping our end of the hobby strong?

Mental illness. wink

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What do y'all think is the driving factor that is keeping our end of the hobby strong? I really enjoy this hobby. Buy Carefully.

At one time signs were always a good investment, I don't see how 30,000-60,000 signs are an investment, no doubt those buyers will take a bath, not that it matters to most of them.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
after talking to a few people at the Mecum auction... it seems some people are becoming fond of the petroliana over the automobiles. i have talked to a couple of people now that had nice car collections, and they told me that they just dont have the time to drive the cars... and that they enjoy buying and collecting the petroliana more than buying a car just to take up room, collect dust, and incur cost via insurance/licensing/maintenance, etc.

i think we can all relate. we all have collections that if we decided to completely liquidate, could purchase one or more decent collector cars.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
L
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L
Bob, here is a picture I found that was took at Dixie Gas in April 2004. I think we had just had a group therapy session for our mental illness of this collecting addiction. I guess it didn't help since we are all still doing it. My therapist tells me over the years my addiction has worsened, how about yours? The two guys in the back row look kinda crazy to me. 😜

image.jpg
Last edited by Larry Nace; Wed Jan 27 2016 09:09 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Larry, I remember that! That was the day before Jerry Winston's auction. Those guys in the back row do look kinda crazy. My "therapist" is pretty understanding.

I think there are a couple things that are contributing to the strong prices. Like Bryce mentioned there are people that have entered the hobby as they've shifted their their focus towards petroliana from cars and other types of collectibles. A lot of those folks seem to have bottomless pockets.

Have you noticed what barn hangers are going for? A lot of people have entered the hobby that are far less concerned about condition than us old timers. The crazy high prices that the ultra desirable stuff is going for doesn't surprise me as much as what barn hangers are bringing.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
I think you guys are correct. I'm kind of new to sign collecting, probably 3 years. I think some of the TV shows have contributed also. Some one told me about Roy Reeds gas bash here in california and since then I've spent approx 20k. It is an illness!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
mental illness would be correct . I may have been afflicted myself .

Follow the Red Indian Trail
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I thought I was deemed cured when I sold my first collection. Then I noticed globes starting to appear in storage space and a few signs leaning against the wall. This was getting out of hand, so I sold out again, hoping that this time I had the monkey off my back. Then the internet came along. It made looking for that fix even easier. It reeled me right in and before you know it I was calling all the dealers looking for a quick cure. I have now resigned myself to the fact that I'm addicted and have no interest in a petroliana free life.

Tom

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Tom R.
I thought I was deemed cured

there is no known cure, a fix from time too time is
the only known treatment for this illness.. ... cool

RANDY
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Bob, here is a picture I found that was took at Dixie Gas in April 2004. I think we had just had a group therapy session for our mental illness of this collecting addiction. I guess it didn't help since we are all still doing it. My therapist tells me over the years my addiction has worsened, how about yours? The two guys in the back row look kinda crazy to me. 😜
Larry, I remember that show as well. Has it really been that long? My therapist says that the sicker I get with this disease, the faster time flies!!! I noticed that who ever took the picture captured the grave site on the ridge behind you guys. The say people are dying to get in there? BAD, BAD , BAD joke! Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved