Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
N
I was at Barrett Jackson today and I was examining all the gas and oil stuff and I would say 90% of all the signs have been repaired and then the whole sign has been covered in a very thick layer of clear coat. I just don't get the people buying this stuff. Some of the signs are even questionable if there even real at all. I like how the auction houses just play along with this scam and don't tell anyone either in the descriptions.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
S
You know the old saying "Buyer Beware".

The local auction house I normally attend, always identifies items that are repros / new vintage in the discription.

Of course we know there is no lack of senseless money at Barrett Jackson.

I've been buying and selling cars for years at the large auction houses: Gooding, RM, BJ and Mecum and started buying signs and memorabilia about ten years ago. I thought Mecum did a nice job with the Kokles auction however I hate the lack of descriptions for the rest of the auction. Nothing was marked as new or old, restored or unrestored. Pretty much no description other than sizes. Also drove me crazy how there were reserves on $300 items.

I'm in Scottsdale now at BJ. The cars are starting off strong and the automobilia auction seems to be also. For the guy starting this post...did you buy a catalog?? For it clearly states in each description whether a sign is restored or touched up which I appreciate for some of the restorations can be hard to spot. Anyway...as they always say at an auction "inspect each item". It's amazing that the hobby had three large auctions in less than 30 days and the prices have been strong. It makes me feel good about everything I have back home in the building.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I am also in Arizona. Regarding touch-ups, restoration, clear coat etc. not only will the catalogue add insight but so will the results. 3500 for a single sided GMC trucks, 14k for a rare double-sided 50's oldsmobile vs. 19k for a double sided studebaker and 25k for a single sided vertical Packard. You can determine which ones were "untouched".

Barret Jackson buyers have tremendously deep pockets and most did not not acquire that wealth being aloof.

It is also worth noting that Rory loads the docket for porcelain neon on Tuesday, friday and Saturday with the majority of the best signs Friday and Saturday.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved