Print Thread
#645410 Fri Jan 29 2016 03:53 PM
M
model72 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Did all non-cast iron models have the square-shaped stampings in the center of both access panels?

Joe

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can't say all,but everyone that I have found had. The flat area is easier to stamp out and place a locking cover over. Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
M
model72 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Thanks for the info Dave. To my knowledge, no one is accurately reproducing the access panels with square-shaped raised areas. That is one repro part I won't be tackling since I don't happen to have a 100 ton press and molds. I could make them out of fiberglass, but no one would purchase them.

My 117 has doors that look original without the square. It is not the removable pump handle type. It has the handle locking bar (items 110 & 111 in the attached drawing)
Chris

117Parts2a.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Add it to the outside with bondo. No one will be the wiser except for us. Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
M
model72 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Now Dave, what if I had made the Fry wood handles out of Bondo? <grin> Good talking with you Friday evening.
Joe

Chris, I believe you provided evidence with your access panels and the parts diagram to support some access panels not having the embossed squares. If the handle did not come off like the example attached to the pump on the parts diagram, there was no need to have the embossed square. The embossed square made it possible to rivet the semi-circular flat sheet metal flap that covered the handle hole on the models that the handle could be removed. My 5-gallon has the embossed square and the type of handle that comes off and the little flap that could swing up into place and cover the pump shaft hole in the skin. A lock could be added to lock the flap to the skin. The little flap is shown on the repair order list, but not called out. I hope that makes sense. Dave Jones started the thinking process on embossed vs. not embossed. I think it depended on the type of handle installed.
Joe

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't know why someone would make a die to stamp the lower panels and not include the square portion. 75% of all the pumps that I have found were missing both panels. Usually there is a drainback added coming out the missing panel area opposite the handle side of the pump. 50% of the time the handles are also missing. I would think that a nice repo panel with the cover would be worth 100+. Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
dave! i started making these panels in 1984 i have made 500 or 600 pairs.to stamp them as deep as the old ones with the door you would have to get $ 500.00 + each . i am about done with the 36-b tower skins.charley

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That is unbelievable. The bondo addition sounds more feasible if you want that square area. I have one repo panel and it looks good.
I worked in an iron foundry for 14 years but have no knowledge of stampings and forgings. Thanks for the input. Do you sell the doors(retail)? Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
only from vics 66 or scobie. thanks charley

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thank you, Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
T
T
Here is a pic of my pump that does not have the square in the panel.

Rick

Fry Bottom Cover small.jpg
Fry 17 Lower Pump Cover

M
model72 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Your pump did not require the access panel with square and riveted flap because that particular model had the ability to lock the handle to the base. I can see the slot and the locking pin on your photo. According to the Parts list for the 117 posted earlier, there was 2 different handles and thus 2 ways to lock the pump in the handle area; 1) removing the handle, swinging the flap up and locking it to the base (access panel with square and flap) or 2) locking the handle to the base plate (access panel without square)like you have on your pump. Does the locking pin or whatever it is still move on your pump? I assume that it was spring loaded so that it retracted back when the handle was not locked.
Joe
Joe

T
T
It's a little rusted but the pin does move and has the spring behind it. I had no idea it was there. I haven't got to this pump yet. I'm still working the refurbish on my external pump model.

Thanks for the info!

Rick

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved