Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Project Car auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
bcr2037 Offline OP
OP Offline
Sign measures approx. 7' x 4'. I've seen the smaller ones but not a big one like this. Looking for approx. date of manufacture and what $$ valuation yall would put on it. Thanks!

signs evinrude 002.JPG signs evinrude 001.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Newly made

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gezzzz, are you sure they are re-poping these? That's a really big sign.

Have gas all the time
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I just Googled this marina. They are currently in business and the phone number is still the same? Seems that nothing has changed in a very long time? I think I might stay away from this sign? Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
some info in the oldgas archives

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?u...true#Post580377

Here's another link and it does talk about a Knapik Dealer
http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?u...true#Post514732

Originally Posted By funkytownantique
Thanks for all the replies. I saw another one in Adairsville, GA. It was not the Knapik Dealer sign, just a plain black one with a white water line like the one shown here:
http://junkersblog.com/forums/topic/another-fake-evinrude-sign-variation/

As I was researching real v/s fake ones, one key that I was reading was that the fake ones used a series of dots to draw the water line, but the real ones had actual waves.

As it turns out, there are fake ones with waves as well. The one I mentioned above in Adairsville had yellow waves, so I was thinking it was real. But the owner was nice enough to tell me that it was a repro.

So I don't know how the heck to tell real v/s fake. I guess the more rusty they are, the better :-]

Thanks
Chad
www.junkersblog.com

Last edited by huskybob; Sat Feb 06 2016 03:36 PM. Reason: ad another link
bcr2037 Offline OP
OP Offline
I assumed it was a reproduction, however the size and color drew me to it. Its a really nice sign... that's why I was wondering a value on it. If I listed it as a reproduction for sale, what would be a fair asking price?

Z
Z
So, new to the group and saddened by the massive fraud. It bums me out in the car world.

I just purchased this sign from Millers auctions, and shame on me for not doing my usual research, but I called Glenn Miller and he assured me that all the signs n the auction were real and not reproductions.

Now while researching something else, the dot waves just hit me...well, like a wave of nausea...

Sign had minor damage and wear, and seemed so legit to me.
Any chance this is still real and it depended on production and dealer?
They ran a similar sign before this, but diferent dealer and it has waves. You can check his sight from the Feb auction in Toma..

Z
Z
Bought this to, but I have never see one and think it is totally legit and very rare. Backlit!

http://www.auctionzip.com/Full-Image/2374325/fi196.cgi

Z
Z
So after some more research and talking to the man who has the experience and stands by what he does. I feel my sign is legit, despite the dots. My dealer stamp on the bottom is added after production and this sign has all the tell tale signs of an original. Glad I have it...

Last edited by zgusto; Fri Feb 26 2016 12:41 PM.
I was doing some work in Amsterdam 2 years ago, and drove by the Knapik store, so yes, they were still in business as of then. Funny how a local business can get sucked into the repro world. I don't know what role they played in the (re)production of the smaller sign, but I have seen thousands of them over the years. I was at an antique show recently and a dealer had tens of them stacked/fanned against a table leg. The larger sign is a different animal, that's the first I am seeing that one. Kinda scary, but for me, just one more reason not to touch the sign market with a ten foot pole.

Z
Z
Originally Posted By KlockKing
I was doing some work in Amsterdam 2 years ago, and drove by the Knapik store, so yes, they were still in business as of then. Funny how a local business can get sucked into the repro world. I don't know what role they played in the (re)production of the smaller sign, but I have seen thousands of them over the years. I was at an antique show recently and a dealer had tens of them stacked/fanned against a table leg. The larger sign is a different animal, that's the first I am seeing that one. Kinda scary, but for me, just one more reason not to touch the sign market with a ten foot pole.

The Knapiks appear to be definitely made up. This sign, you don't really see, it has all the look and feel of an original and most importantly, the dealer logo is not part of the sign, but a separate addition as it should be and confirms age...but it is scary!

T
T
I hate to be the bearer of bad news here (and bring up an old thread) but that Evinrude is 100% reproduction.

A few real ones are all that exist and they are small. I have one. A guy that owns another unfortunately made some repops some years back and then the repops of these just took off. They are everywhere.

Here is the real one... it was only made in this size. Notice the detail in the bow of the boat. The repops don’t have that.

8E7591F0-55A2-4521-93B4-7870389DA770.jpeg 05AF1F1F-2B7D-489B-8137-23B95FA154B6.jpeg 5698AA6B-C921-469A-80A9-02958E64F77E.jpeg E12CD4EE-BB6C-41E6-8D67-2768A95F84DA.jpeg
Last edited by TheMarineGuy; Mon Apr 27 2020 07:44 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't know mucn about Evinrude signs …. other than just about every fake one I've seen had the New York address.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved