Click here for Collectible Motor Oil Can auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#646644 Wed Feb 10 2016 06:10 PM
OP Offline
Hey all,

I had a private chat with member tbuckles re: the value of this pump. It's somewhat local to me. The owner bought it off a farm in the late 80's/early 90's. He had it repainted at an auto body shop and has been displaying it at his business ever since. The paint has a few issues. Not too surprising given its age. They did a great job removing/halting any rust, but as you can see in some pics not such a great job filling in defects w/ Bondo etc.
There's no cast iron base, no computer or computer supports, no faceplates, no globe base or globe and the hose/nozzle are wrong and do not fit. The upper electrics all seem in tact though. Plenty of other tidbits missing too.

I just wanted a few more opinions on it to boost my confidence when we get down to it. I've been delaying a serious offer b/c I was repairing/remodeling my own garage and also needed a shed to clear out the non-petroliana. All that has been accomplished. It's go time. I basically *need* my 1st pump now and his would be a great start. Slideshow below is 28 pictures total from about 18 months ago.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Wayne 60 pics

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
tmcnasty #646700 Thu Feb 11 2016 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
you should listen to whatever Tom told you. He knows Wayne 60 pumps better than almost anyone

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
tmcnasty #646705 Thu Feb 11 2016 12:01 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
As Bryce said, I'd trust Tom. A base is about $250,add in for computer, face plates, globe holder, etc. I'd make sure the bottom of rails haven't been rusted/cut off since the base is missing. If it's a poor restoration, I'd consider it basically like buying an unrestored pump that you have to do over. It seems like good complete 60's are running around $2k +/- for condition. I'd suggest buying a complete unmolested pump and take it apart yourself so you know how it all goes, but if you can get a bargain on this one I'm sure you can get the parts and put it back together. Good luck, have fun with that first pump.

Signs&Neons #646706 Thu Feb 11 2016 12:16 PM
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
wink If this will be your first pump, unless you can absolutely steal it, I would pass. My first Wayne 60 was a good buy till I started realizing what was missing, broke, and what I did not now. It was definitely a learning experience. I can see all the parts painted red were evidently deeply rusted, as visible by the deep pitting. And the interior pictures show more parts missing than there is there. You may pay a little more initially, but stepping up to a more complete pump to start with will return you volumes down the road. Tom B. knows me, ask him if I'm not right. St. Louis and Missouri shows are this month, Chips this Spring. Unless you just want to put a Television in the window, my vote is to pass on this one. wink Ed.

Ed Steagall #646707 Thu Feb 11 2016 12:17 PM
Online Content
Originally Posted By Ed Steagall
wink If this will be your first pump, unless you can absolutely steal it, I would pass. My first Wayne 60 was a good buy till I started realizing what was missing, broke, and what I did not now. It was definitely a learning experience. I can see all the parts painted red were evidently deeply rusted, as visible by the deep pitting. And the interior pictures show more parts missing than there is there. You may pay a little more initially, but stepping up to a more complete pump to start with will return you volumes down the road. Tom B. knows me, ask him if I'm not right. St. Louis and Missouri shows are this month, Chips this Spring. Unless you just want to put a Television in the window, my vote is to pass on this one. wink Ed.

I agree with Ed. Find yourself a nice original pump.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

tmcnasty #646713 Thu Feb 11 2016 02:22 PM
OP Offline
Thanks fellas. I'm all about what Tom said and am quite grateful for his insights. Figured I'd just toss out this extra feeler out before I sit this man down and talk turkey.
Tom actually called it a buy up to a certain price and also let me know he has any parts I might need. Which is good because I know I need more than a few. fwiw at the bottom of all of the rails I can see all of the standoffs with the round holes in them for attaching the base.

tmcnasty #646729 Thu Feb 11 2016 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Uff Da--that baby is rough!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
tmcnasty #647386 Thu Feb 18 2016 12:20 PM
OP Offline
I guess only Tom and I like it. wink I stopped by his place Tuesday to talk to him about it as the fire trucks were pulling up. Small electrical issue in the basement. Close call lol.

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved