Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#653192 Sun Apr 17 2016 07:56 PM
JimT Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi I got this pump from a fellow Oldgasser and friend. Its a porcelain, Sohio-I believe, pump. Im hoping someone can fill me in as to what goes on with the globe holder area. I've never seen anything like this. Would it be for a station-lighter? Or I know some 1420s came with a glass dome like top also. Can anyone clue me in ?

dayton 1420.JPG dayon 1420 2.JPG
Last edited by JimT; Sun Apr 17 2016 07:59 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Does the ID tag state 1420? I can't answer your question, but this may be a pump that I don't have in my next Gas Pump ID book. Assuming this might not be one that I don't have, can I have your permission to use the picture?

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The Pickers bought a pump like that from a lady in a package deal with a May west, but I think it was a computer version. I was wondering what kind of pump it was.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
JimT Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I saw that Matt, didnt they give her like 450.00 or 600.00 dollars or something? I have to admit she isnt a real beauty queen, but shes got a great personality and once I gave her a bath, she is growing on me.
Jack, I dont think it is in either of your books. And I havent been able to find an ID tag. I'll look around inside better to see if there is any thing to ID it on the inside. Its a heavy one, for its size. Jack, I can get a better picture, if youd like and Email it to you?
Another question I am wondering about. Im wondering if Dayton sold their cash recorder units to other company's?
I just really am curious as to that gizmo on the top. The T-shaped things pivot up and down like maybe to clip something down, I'm guessing.I have a red Pemco (I'm guessing), Station-lighter I might try on top to see how it looks.

dayton 1420 3.JPG dayton 1420 4.JPG
Last edited by JimT; Mon Apr 18 2016 03:07 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You gave the lady who sold the pickers a pump a bath? blush

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Jim
I have a pump like that but it think it has a regular globe holder I'll take the globe off and look closer got in down by Columbus 4-5 years ago has the original STANDARD decals on it I can not find the ID tag either
Bill

JimT Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Bill I believe this was found in a barn down by Columbus too. Any chance I could get a picture of your reset handle? The ID tag was right in front of my face but it was so dirty I didn't realize what it was. It's a Model 1420 SO. -Dayton pump Co.

dayton 1420 5.JPG
Last edited by JimT; Mon Apr 18 2016 05:01 PM.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Jim
I will send you a pic tomorrow Where was the ID tag?? Mine was full of hay and dirt must have in a barn also

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Jim
I will send you a pic tomorrow Where was the ID tag?? Mine was full of hay and dirt must have in a barn also did you finish the Islander??
BILL

JimT Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Bill, it is just sticking up and running alongside and behind the bottom edge of the face glass. I was looking inside and about to give up.
The eco turned out to be a "Coxwell" (I think thats right.) air and water. Its not super old,like the late 60s, early 70s I think, and actually has some plastic-like parts inside. I just cleaned it up and put it in with the rest of the pile. I look at it now and then-lol Maybe someday.

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Jim
I sent pics to your email
Bill

JimT Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
OK ,I dont know if anyone is interested in this or not , but I solved my own mystery. I got a step ladder and when I looked down from the top I saw two machine screws , one for each of the "T" shaped arms. So, I looked with a flashlight from the inside and can see that the screws are actually thumb screws. Long story shorter, the T shaped arms would fit inside the neck of the globe and when the screws are tightened they pull down and hold the globe in place. I would think there would have been a rubber washer or gasket around the base of the glass body. I guess it was a cleaner looking mount as well as preventing additional areas to hold debris and water that might have rusted. Also I'm guessing there would have been rubber "bumpers on each of the four small screws that would touch inside the globe neck area.
As far as the cast iron ,threaded holes, Im thinking those would be for a station-lighter.

IMG_1556.JPG IMG_1553.JPG IMG_1559.JPG
Last edited by JimT; Wed Apr 20 2016 02:55 AM.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Wasn't there a version of the station lighter that passed through a globe? Maybe this is that kind of setup?

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved