Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#655392 Tue May 10 2016 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Any suggestions on what to use for flooring in a 1000 sq. ft garage. Tiles, coatings, epoxy, etc. Good or bad reviews, for price, ease of installation. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Just joking, but it depends on how much oil and grease you intend on dropping on the floor.

My very large garage is still the original concrete.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kim-Id say it depends on the look your going after. Is it new or existing old concrete? Will always be heated? subject to moisture? Me personally, I like the look of acid stained and polished concrete. You can do amazing patterns with either stencils or geometric grids or go with just one color , with various earth tones and get a nice antiqued ,natural look. And when your finished its as easy to maintain and durable as the concrete you started with. To me, all that other stuff has the chance of coming up in spots.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
It is both actually Jim, the old pad is staying and the addition, is new concrete. Always heated and no moisture to speak of. I guess I maybe limited to what I can do on the old pad.

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kim aside from the OG stuff will you have vehicles in there? Salt and stones from winter grime dropping off the vehicles will be hard on any decorative finish that is put on your top layer.

Last edited by Gasman84470; Wed May 11 2016 10:23 AM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By minuteman
Any suggestions on what to use for flooring in a 1000 sq. ft garage. Tiles, coatings, epoxy, etc. Good or bad reviews, for price, ease of installation. Any advice greatly appreciated.

I have modular tiles in my garage (http://racedeck.com/) and love them. Easy to install and clean. You could easily setup the entire 1000 square feet in a day.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I used race deck and all my buddies that used coatings etc are now putting in race deck lol . its not cheap but its a great floor system in a shop.

Follow the Red Indian Trail
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Check out the Garage Journal forum .... they have a section just for flooring. Anything you want to know is there.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Surface prep is the key to having a coating adhere well to the old concrete. I used a 2 part epoxy on a customer's 40-some year old garage floor. Added the speckles, then 2 coats of clear. 2 cars in and out every day for over 5 years and still looks great.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By redindianguy
I used race deck and all my buddies that used coatings etc are now putting in race deck

Wow, that's interesting. I wondered about racedeck. Always looked at it as second fiddle to coatings. Going to have to check it out closer before I ever make a decision on a floor.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you go with modular flooring, my choice would be Swisstrax "Ribtrax". Very quality product. They run special discounts from time to time. The best is usually 20% discount with free shipping. See link to their website.
http://www.swisstrax.com

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Definitely a topic I'm really interested in, I think there's no right answer. Personally, I've disliked the epoxy coatings because they don't hold up well to "moderate abuse". If you go a coating route, its recommended you clean the concrete with a diluted muratic acid wash (be careful to ventilate well) and allow to dry for a week or two. This etches the concrete for accepting a coating.

There's a company in Los Vegas that sells a spray on coating for concrete, looks awesome, kind of a natural concrete look, and I want to go and take a class on it. Water blasting also really cleans up concrete pretty well. If its a water/sand blaster mix, its suppose to leave a sugar cube like finish.

I like the idea of the tiled plastic floors, but for a working garage I don't think it would work real well.

I've also tried the concrete "resurfacer" stuff they sell at home depot. Didn't work for me very well.

I occasionally work on flipping houses, so what to do with distressed concrete comes up a lot!

Last edited by Paul Bell; Wed May 11 2016 10:47 PM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
C
C
Epoxy is an amazing product, but the KEY is you have to grind the top surface off!!!!! There's no cleaner that will properly prep old concrete ready for expoxy !!!!! Just my two cense!!! If it was all new concrete Acid staining with a 30MPH strength all the way man!!!
Killer look out of this process!!!!!!

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
My wonder with the modular floors was always, how to keep moisture out from under it. And what happens to the water that does get under it?

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
M
M
I replaced my race deck style with porcelain. Search for franklin's tower in garage journal. Looks great, easy to wipe up oil spills from my triumph sports cars.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved