Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
jeakle4 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Is a value of a restored pump based on just the pump or does the reputation of the restorer come into play? Are there specific individuals to look for if this is true? The reason I ask is that I am going to look at an American visible which was restored a number of years ago by Walt Feiger of Traverse City, MI. How long ago, what shape is it still in and what model I do not know yet. Any input on this topic is welcome.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
YES to ALL the above questions.
RARITY
CONDITION
QUALITY OF RESTORATION
# OF ORIGINAL or REPO PARTS USED
HOW BAD YOU WANT IT
db

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I myself feel that a name doesnt make a difference its the quality of the work performed on the pump.I know alot of guys that do quality work who are no names,most of them have to much time on their hands.Mi 2 since!

------------------

L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
I personally wouldn't pay any more for a pump that was restored by Walt, or any other name in this hobby, no disrespect to them at all, that is how they have a known name, but I have seen some work by guys no one has ever heard of, and they do fantastic work, because they have pride in thier work, and they take the time to do the absolute best they can do.

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I feel that certain names can turn out pumps that look great longer.

So in effect some restos may last a lot longer.

Some stuff holds up great and some does not, and cheaping out on materials ot prep...may come back to bite you!

Check the inside of the skins. big difference between filling dents and removing them. ..

A good straight pump is almost always worth the extra initial cost..IMO...

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
If its not taken down to the last nut and bolt, its not a resto.

Dave Folck
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WOW ..every last nut and bolt..thats sure is a "FULL" restoration. I think this is why prices are all over the board when it comes to selling restored pumps. There are so many variations on what people call "restored". One pump may be rattle canned with a repop globa and another powder coated with every nut and bolt replaced. I have alot of versions from stone old original unrestored to rattle canned to powder coated and I love them all.

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
When I wrote the Gas Pump Identification book, we valued the pumps in unrestored condition because everyone has their own opinion of what "restored" is.
My two great examples of this are, one year at Columbus, a guy set up accrss from me, he put out five "restore" pumps. I finally went over to look at them, I opened the door and it fell off, and the inside was still oily and dirty.
The other example is one day I was talking to a pump restorer in California, and he chromed the frame before assembling the pump. One extreme to another.
Buying an older restored pump should be looked at as buying a unrestored pump, what if it isn't the colors you want, then you are basically restoring it.
Jack Sim
Author, Gas Pump Identifiation book, and soon to be published "Air Meter" Identification book.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have to agree with Dick on this one.
I will ad this... on a globe for example... if i had a Sinclair Dino for $100 and Scott B. had one for $100 he would sell his first for his reputation he has made himself in the hobby.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved