Next Thread
Print Thread
#59788 Sun Oct 12 2008 08:22 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
While I like them, few seem to appreciate the boxy, often stainless steel trimmed pumps of the late 60's through the 70's. Is there a book that covers the different pump models? This would be for suction pumps that have mechanical computers, or even some of the digital electronic displays. I hope I am not angering any pump purists. To me they are more than scrap metal.

Antique? It's new to me.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#59789 Mon Oct 13 2008 01:53 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
When I wrote the Gas Pump ID book about a year ago, I wanted to include all the pumps up to 1970 instead of the 1965 date I used for the first book's cutoff.
As it turned out, there was about 100 pumps from before 1965 that wouldn't even fit in the book, let alone pumps that went up to 1970. I submitted 2000 images, and the publisher cut 100 of those back to 1900. For some reason they didn't want to make the book larger than the original 352 pages in the first book.
Keep in mind by 1970 the only companies making gas pumps were Tokheim, Wayne, Gilbarco, Southwest, and Bennett. One other thing was happening, instead of coming out with new models every couple of years, they were now producing a new model every 4-5 years. Especially when they went to digital. So actually there isn't that many pumps.
So....don't look for any books featuring pumps from the 70s. Unless they give me more than 352 pages you have seen the last of the Gas Pump ID books.
If you want information on any pumps from the 70s-80s, see the gas pump literature section of my website: www.petrolianacollectibles.com
I am trying to put something on for every gas pump I have found literature for.

Jack Sim
Author, Gas Pump Identification book and Air Meter Identification book. Ready to order at: www.petrolianacollectibles.com

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#59790 Mon Oct 13 2008 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Got a chicken house up the street from here that is full of those.....
How many truckloads do you want?

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
#59791 Mon Oct 13 2008 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rick, I might be able to help you , uh what exactly do you need as far as information. If its a Tokiem or a wayne (Dresser Atlas) I might be able to help. I also have some scattered information on Bennett stuff too. Ed shaver

see ya on the road folks !
#59792 Mon Oct 13 2008 09:30 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I just want 4 of the beasts for a couple of islands in front of my soon to be garage. If I can get a batch of those somewhere within driving distance of south florida I will be collecting. The important thing is that the pumps are intact, motors functional and have mechanical computers. As for brand, Tokheim, Bennett, Southeastern, or whatever is fine. Especially like the no-maintenance stainless sheet metal styles.

Antique? It's new to me.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved